Author Topic: Native Instruments Battery  (Read 41769 times)

supernova777

Native Instruments Battery
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
now posted in member downloads!  8)  http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=868.0

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/new_battery_drum_kit_596

heres a drum set for the Roland R8.. kit for battery.. i found

ok that link was bad check this instead:
http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=list&product=83&order=date

some battery related press releases: (scroll to bottom for v1 relevant links)
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/battery-by-native-instruments/news
v2.0 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/articles/nibattery2.htm
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:12:08 AM by MacTron »

supernova777

Re: Native Instruments Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 01:44:04 AM »
original press release may 2001
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2001/02/05/namm-ni-battery-virtual-sampler/

I had thought Battery was osx only
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/ni_kontakt_v1_5_and_battery_for_os_x_released_1319
but in this article it refers to an update making battery compatible with osx so im assuming that means that the original was indeed made for os 9?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/battery.php

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
the link in the download section for the toast file is dead.
MDD Dual @1.42Ghz, Powerbook TI @1Ghz

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
should be ok i tested it this morning

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
yep it works now! great.

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 06:50:37 AM »
i have a strange problem when loading kits from the cd. (i copied them to the hard drive) i get a "parsing error on line 1" when i open the kits, but maybe once in 20 tries it works. any thoughts?

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
i have a strange problem when loading kits from the cd. (i copied them to the hard drive) i get a "parsing error on line 1" when i open the kits, but maybe once in 20 tries it works. any thoughts?

if its the kits cd that enabler has given us recently (recently posted by me) then im not sure as i havent tested it personally
Enabler would be the one to ask!

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
well it happens also with the supplied kit, if i load one from the cd and then try to load the "default" again. so i don't think it's a cd-rom problem.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
well it happens also with the supplied kit, if i load one from the cd and then try to load the "default" again. so i don't think it's a cd-rom problem.
Maybe there's a problem with NI Battery itself. We need to find a better copy, or better yet an upgrade version!
Any way those kits can be used with NI Kontakt without any problem (I've tested it).
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv0jx6VA94E[/youtube]

does this version support "Round robin" technique?
technique is intended to add human variation.. via random selection of various samples on same key press

also top link in this thread needs to be updated to: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=868.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:19:21 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »
this info is ripped from the readme.html

Thank you
for purchasing
Native Instruments Battery.

This document contains a list of important informations about Battery, which may not appear in the printed manual.

System Requirements

PC:

* Intel Pentium 300Mhz or faster, Intel Celeron 300 Mhz or faster, AMD Athlon or AMD Duron
    * 64 MB RAM (to load large kits more RAM is required)
    * Soundcard compatible with Windows 98
    * MIDI-Interface for connecting a MIDI controller or external MIDI sequencer. It is possible to use the interface that is part of many common soundcards.
    * At least 20 MB free hard disk space for the installation
    * Windows 98

Mac:

* Processor: PowerPC 300 MHz or faster
    * 64 MB RAM (to load large kits more RAM is required)
    * Sound Manager-compatible audio interface
    * OMS-compatible MIDI-Interface for connecting a MIDI controller or external MIDI sequencer
    * 20 MB free hard drive space for the installation
    * MacOS 8.6 or higher
    * Opcode OMS

Important Notes

Latency
In Battery standalone you should optimise the Play Ahead setting for your soundcard in System/Audio Settings, in order to reduce the latency - the delay between pressing a key and hearing the sound.

Caution
If you hear harsh digital distortion (clipping) when playing many notes, you must reduce the Volume setting in the Battery panel to prevent overloading the soundcard.

Examples
You will find four example kits in the "_Examples" folder in the drumkit directory. The first two kits are needed for the tutorial in the printed manual. The example kits 3 and 4 contain demo loops which was made with the drumkits available on the Battery CD.

AKAI/SF2 import
Since per default the target folder is set to the directory in which you install BATTERY, you might want to modify the path in the options menu. Especially if you install the program on your system drive, it is recommended to change the directory. The samples will not be deleted automatically when you close BATTERY

Installing the Drumkits from the Battery CD
The battery CD contains a lot of high quality drumkits which are ready to use. You can load them directly from CD or copy them to harddisk. Please take care on the folder structure. The audio files are generally saved in a subfolder of the directory a kit is located. So if you reorganize your harddisk you should always move the sample subfolders together with the drumkit files.

VST hosts
Under Emagic Logic (version 4.6) and some other VST-compatible hosts you cannot assign more than two channels to a VST plug-in. So in these hosts this function doesn’t have an effect.

Emagic Logic

Logic (version 4.6) has its own method for assigning MIDI controller numbers to VST plug-ins. So the MIDI automation might not work as you would expect.
      The channel selector in the instrument parameter box does not work correctly with VST instruments (version 4.6), the channel of the events is always used.
    * Emagic Logic (version 4.6) does not pass any computer keyboard strokes to the VST plugin.

Steinberg Cubase VST
Version 5.0r1 of Cubase VST will reset all your paramter changes if the inspector is open, the plugin's track is selected and the arrangement window returns up to foreground.

DXi
The new DXi plug-in format was only tested with a beta version of Sonar yet, since the final version was not available at relaese time of Battery.
The DXi plug-in will be installed with the option "Easy install". After the installation it will be available in all DXi-compatible hosts. If you don't want to install the DXi plug-in use "Custom install" instead.

Dynamic RAM allocation
On the PC you can work with very large drumkits even if your computer has not enough RAM for the whole kit. In this case Battery will only load the samples of those cells into RAM which are really used. So if you investigate some crackles or strange noise when triggering cells, the samples probably are not present in RAM at this time. The crackles will vanish when Battery has "recharged" these cells with the needed samples (If you generally get crackles with all VST instruments you should rather check the audio settings for your audio card instead). Other samples which you don't use will stay on the harddisk. On Mac you will not be able to load drumkits at all which don't fit into RAM since it is generally recommended to deactivate "Virtual RAM" if you work with audio software.

Number of voices
One Battery instance can playback 128 voices at the time. In case that you need more than 128 voices you should use another plug-in instance if you use Battery as plug-in.

of particular interest this info about non-vst2.1 compatible host applications not passing keyboard strokes to the vst plugin.. and they keyboard commands... very usefull for anyone who wants to master this amazing drum vst!

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
im trying to get to the bottom of why the loading of the kits on the battery kits cd doesnt work
as long as the kits are on the cd (.toast) it doesnt load..but copying them from the cd image mount to the hd . basically anywhere and  editing the .kit xml file results in the file loading successfully everytime..
so theres got to be some kind of encoding/file system/format change that happend to this cd..
maybe the battery kits cd needs to be burned to a real cd? or the .kit files are somehow damaged?

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Chris...what are you editing in the kit files ?

I loaded the kit file into Classilla because i couldn't find any xml editor for mac os9.

I'm trying to load the kits but without success. i get the same message as lokki.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
how are u trying to load them? with the button on the right of the battery interface? or with a pulldown menu?

u should be loading them with the "file" button above the master fader/level on the far right of the gui.

i just edited them using BBEdit i think and resaved them. they are just xml files. its very strange .. i need to investigate a bit more

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 01:51:09 AM »
Yes. i did try to load them with the file button on the right side of the UI. i get the same error message like lokki
will try to get a copy of bbedit to do further experiments.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

supernova777

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
one thing we could try is to use the demo to compare behaviour to see if it works?

ive attached the battery demo for mac os 9
that came on the digital performer 3 cd (2001? i think?)

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »
another idea is that its the kit themselves that is damaged..
i have another source for these files. i have a library from another source of battery kits
and looking more closely at the contents i see that there is a directory for battery 1 specific kits
and battery 2 specific kits.. even tho i thought this entire library was battery v3 .kt3 files only
i was wrong! so i am packaging these battery v1 kits to test to see if it was the battery kits cd
that we got with v1 that is the problem
then we will finally get to the root of this problem once + for all
is it the battery program? or the kits?
we shall soon see?
i hope!

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »
Great. thank you.

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
Great. thank you.

did u try loading the battery kits with the demo ?
did u get the same error message?
im still uploading my 'alternate source' of battery kits library for battery v1
10min left till transfer is done i will try to make an adrive link if it works
the file is about 620mb

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
Still not...hold on.