Author Topic: Most Wanted: GHz AL 17" + Modded TI 667 to 1.3  (Read 3753 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Most Wanted: GHz AL 17" + Modded TI 667 to 1.3
« on: May 08, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »
  I'd seriously consider buying one of these 1GHz 17" Aluminum machines if the video truly does work fully and correctly.  Do both the firewire 400 port and 800 port work, and assuming the second is recognized as a 400 if it does?  Does the cooling fan control system behave properly?  Does the computer wake from sleep properly?

It would be interesting to actually see this system benchmarked thoroughly against a TiBook 1GHz.  Although it probably matters only from a gaming standpoint, the GeForce4 440 Go seems to have been considered a step backwards in performance.  (The chipset was designed for AGP 8x mode but appears to be limited to 4x in the AlBook.)  The faster bus speed, RAM and ATA controller in the AlBook, along with the increased screen resolution, probably give it the edge over the TiBook, so long as there are no major glitches with it under OS 9.  The incompatability of the Airport Extreme, Bluetooth and auto-brightness aren't much of a loss.  The increased maximum RAM is probably irrelevant to most users.  I did note that the standard battery in the AlBook was weaker than that in the TiBook, which may hurt portability especially when you consider the higher-performance components it's driving.

If the AlBook works properly with a Magma PCI expansion chassis via cardbus then I'm all the more curious to own and try it.  I have used one on two different TiBooks in the past.  The thing that strongly put me off owning an AlBook before, aside from the OS 9 issue, was the idiotic screen hinge placement that precluded the use of a rear-mounted BookEndz docking station.  Those awful side-mount docks look bad and take up an excessive amount of desk space.

My 1GHz TiBook seems to have developed a dead ATA controller.  Until I get the motherboard replaced I won't be able to consider a head-to-head contest with the AlBook 1GHz.  My best portable in the interim is a very strange beast - what was once a TiBook 667MHz that was re-worked by a third-party service to sport a 1.2GHz processor.  While this technically would make it the fastest OS 9 portable that doesn't require tricks to make it work, the remaining components from the 667MHz kinda hold it back a bit when compared to later models.  I've never tried it with OS 9 though, only OS X 10.4/10.5 which it performs surprisingly well under.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:41:43 PM by Protools5LEGuy »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Most Wanted: GHz AL 17" + Modded TI 667 to 1.3
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
What CPU has your modded 667 Ti? 7455,etc. please Elaborate it.

The MAGMA stuff for portables/towers is the ultimate expansion for PowerMac rigs.

On OSX the TI GHz has 556 geekbench 2 while the AL Ghz 17" has 576.

TI uses SDRAM with 133 bus while AL uses DDR and 167 bus. TI max RAM 1Gig AL 2Gigs

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Re: Most Wanted: GHz AL 17" + Modded TI 667 to 1.3
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 10:30:49 PM »
What CPU has your modded 667 Ti? 7455,etc. please Elaborate it.

The MAGMA stuff for portables/towers is the ultimate expansion for PowerMac rigs.

On OSX the TI GHz has 556 geekbench 2 while the AL Ghz 17" has 576.

TI uses SDRAM with 133 bus while AL uses DDR and 167 bus. TI max RAM 1Gig AL 2Gigs

Thank-you for moving this post to a new thread!

OS X reports the CPU in my modded TiBook as being a 1.2 GHz G4 7450 with 512k L2 cache.  The base machine before the upgrade was supposed to be a 667 MHz VGA.  With a bus speed of 133 MHz this would represent approximately a 9x bus multiplier and would mean that system profiler is slightly rounding-up the reported speed.

Just to add to the strangeness, this machine originally shipped with the older, bulkier format of optical drive, but it has a third-party adapter bracket installed that holds a later 'standard'-format drive.  Because of this I've been able to further upgrade the drive to what was essentially the most capable and compatible DVD writer available for the ATAPI interface.

I looked back into my emails from 2014 when I bought the machine off eBay.  The seller was not the original owner either and could not tell me for sure which company had been responsible for the upgrade.  He was at least very pleased to know that it would be going to a good home where someone would care for it and make good use of it.  Since acquiring it I've maxed-out the RAM, installed an SSD drive, upgraded the optical drive, replaced the battery with a new high-capacity version from NewerTech, and paired it with a BookEndz docking station.  Aside from the occasionally noisy fan, this is still a pretty slick critter and serves as my primary Mac web browsing platform most of the time using TenFourFox.