Author Topic: Midi Sync latency problem  (Read 3779 times)

Offline cruxz

• new to the forums
Midi Sync latency problem
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »
I've been looking for the solution to this problem on other forums and I also read this article that I've found here.
I just couldnt figure out how to make this approx. 4 ms latency go down:

I sequenced this kick sound on the first beat, but after I recorded it, in Pro Tools it's not on the one.
Can someone tell me how to handle this situation?
I don't really want to edit in slip mode, because I might mess up the loop.
Power Mac G4 1.0 DP (MDD)
Digi 001

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Midi Sync latency problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »
Hi.
As far as I remember, Pro Tools is sending on the beginning of a song the program message to all the midi tracks on bar 1 (beat1). If you set the program change "none" on the midi sequenced bassdrum track, there will be no delay anymore, because your midi device hasn't to handle with the extra program change on beat 1 and the bassdrum also on beat1.

Maybe you could try and move to sequenced bassdrum hit on bar two (only for testing) and see if the timing is better on the second bar, when you start recording on bar1).
If this is the case, then it would have something to do with to many midi informations (prg changes...) on bar1/beat 1. Just start recording in the beginning and see where the bassdrum will appear in bar2.

Hopefully this helps,
paule.

Offline cruxz

• new to the forums
Re: Midi Sync latency problem
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:01:41 AM »
Thanks for your reply paulie!

I've tried placing an empty bar at the beginning of the sequence, but the same thing happens.
I don't know about program changes, but in my sequencer I found the option to set program change to ignore. Latency is still there. I don't have any midi in Pro Tools, so I can't set it there. I use midi to tell my sequencer to start playing.
Maybe this latency (~4ms) is something that I can't avoid?
Power Mac G4 1.0 DP (MDD)
Digi 001