Author Topic: Photo Editing with Live Picture 2.6.2  (Read 12054 times)

Offline Waeshael

• new to the forums
Photo Editing with Live Picture 2.6.2
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:24:38 AM »
By far the best photo editing program is Live Picture 2.6.2 created by a team of French software engineers who were also artists. It was produced by John Sculley's Company Live Picture and originally sold for the equivalent of $5,000+. I use it for almost all my creative photography. I can do things with it that Photoshop or CS would choke on. And it only runs under 8.1 - 9.2.2 or under Classic (Tiger machine.) I have posted pictures at waeshael.leicaimages.com
And I have written about photography and this software at waeshael.com

If you are interested in learning about this program, I can provide the software which is no longer being sold or supported, and I don't think anyone will mind if I make a few copies. You can edit files 100+ megabytes on an old Powerbook with 128MB of memory, so handling modern TIFF images of 60 - 100 MB is no problem, and you can do an unlimited number of layered images. All images have to be converted to TIFF and then to IVUE format and there is a stand alone app to convert to IVUE. Everything is very fast. The program loads in 5 seconds. It is quite brilliant, and a joy to use compared with PS. Older PS 3.0 - 5.0 could save JPEGS as IVUE files by exporting to IVUE using a plug-in provided with Live Picture. And the LP image can be exported to PS for work with filters and the filtered file drops back into the composite in LP.
If any of this makes any sense to you, then have a look at LP - ask me anything you want. I have been using it since 2000. Several world famous photographs used it exclusively until Intel ruined the Mac and made it Mac for dummies (but I do use SNow Leopard as my main work station and I have three Macs running El Capitan - which are almost as fast as my Pismo running 9.1)
Cheers

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Photo Editing with Live Picture 2.6.2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:44:49 AM »
sounds interesting!! ;D

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
Thank You Waeshael for your kind offer. Unfortunately I can be more disagree with you about Live Picture 2.6. It have a awful PC like interface, besides it -may be- can do some things that Photoshop can't, it lack a whole bunch of basics and important features. Its a very basic program ...
Sorry but I dont wish to waste my time writing about into this app, just to avoid someone else loose its time with Live Picture 2.6.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »
http://waeshael.com/waeshael.com/Live_Picture.html
After

Before

http://waeshael.com/waeshael.com/Moon_Love_Demo.html

L to R. Mac PB (Pismo) running OS 9.1, MacBook Pro running Lion, Mac Mini intel (2 monitors), PB G4 running Tiger and Classic with extra monitor (right). This last is the computer for Live Picture. The mac mini and PB G4 are networked together with Wi-FI and share a drop box on the mac mini, so I can transfer pictures between them. After editing on the PB G4, I do the WEB prep to JPG on the Mac Mini. Not shown Macbook Pro running Yosemite which is my travel computer,

Let Waeshael elaborate it...

His captures are awesome.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacNewbie

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:30:25 AM »
I would be very interested!  I have some large TIFFs to process. I have Photoshop 7.0.1 installed and it would be interesting to learn LP also...

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
Thank You Waeshael for your kind offer. Unfortunately I can be more disagree with you about Live Picture 2.6. It have a awful PC like interface, besides it -may be- can do some things that Photoshop can't, it lack a whole bunch of basics and important features. Its a very basic program ...
Sorry but I dont wish to waste my time writing about into this app, just to avoid someone else loose its time with Live Picture 2.6.
@Waeshael: It's just my opinion. An user opinion like yours. Contrasting opinions is better than unique vision.  I'm not taken any benefit of been moderator in any way.

Moderators reports can't be open for show frustration a about users opinions.  >:(
Now I'm telling you as a moderator.
I think that the difference is evident. ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:08:19 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline pandarubbish

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 05:32:12 PM »
I've been looking for this software forever, if anyone knows where I can find a copy. I've messaged OP but they seem to be inactive. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 07:02:27 PM »
I  found the attached. It is untested by me. If it doesn't work, please advise, and I will delete.

Offline pandarubbish

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:29:52 AM »
i keep getting error -32 when trying to launch the version 2.6.2 updater, but the 2.6.1 updater works fine, thanks. If anybody is looking for a serial code message me  ;) really wonderful photo editing and vector design application, I highly recommend.

slightly unrelated but is anyone familiar with using custom .otf & .ttf fonts in os9? I have searched for any info on converting those formats to suitcases but couldn't come up with anything. I've read that those formats should be compatible but whenever I drag into the font folder they are still unreadable. I will download fontdoctor and see if it can diagnose for missing postscripts or bitmaps, but they seem to work fine in osx fontbook so I doubt that's the issue.

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 04:47:59 AM »
I very vaguely recall that ages ago, I was able to get Live Picture 2.6.2 up and running, but it didn't do anything. I could not open/import/view anything with it. I never understood what it was suppposed to do.

I also seem to remember that the program that was able to convert between various font formats was called "FontMonger"

I'm attaching what I found, and be interested in knowing if it worked for anybody.