Author Topic: PT LE 5.1.1 with Digi 001 throws error messages  (Read 10516 times)

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
PT LE 5.1.1 with Digi 001 throws error messages
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »
Hello

Received this week an old Digi 001 box together with the ProTools LE 5.1.1 software...running on my MDD G4 1.25GHz...

When just playing back a small recorded 24 Bit audio track containing few seconds. it claims that I should increase the H/W buffer size...next time reduce the buffer size...or tells me that the PCI bus is too busy...though no other application is running....

For the PCI bus...I just have a 4 port USB2 card and a PCI-324 card...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:49:27 AM by davorin »

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: PT LE 5.1.1 throws hardware error messages
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »
Hmm...does someone has the Digi 001 ASIO driver for MacOS?

The download link here is broken: http://archive.digidesign.com/download/sndrvr/

So that way I could sue the hardware with either Cubase or Bias Deck...

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: PT LE 5.1.1 throws hardware error messages
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:43:30 AM »
Okay...found it: ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/ASIO_Digidesign_DirectIO/Mac/OS_9/ASIO_DigiDesign_DirectIO5.sit.hqx

Seems to be of no joy....playing audio in Cubase 5.1 is silent, and master level panel shows no levels when selecting the this ASIO driver...

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: PT LE 5.1.1 with Digi 001 throws error messages
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:06:48 AM »

Have you tried pulling out these PCI cards and just using the 001 by itself. If it works like that then it might be a conflict with the PCI cards or the slot/order in which the stuff is plugged in.

If it still doesn't work with just the 001 card installed it could be a problem with the box/card.

I can't remember now but the Digi card probably wants to be in the most 'important' slot on your PCI bus  so check that it's installed in the lowest slot number.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »
Maybe that PCI-324 is 'hogging' bandwidth from the 001card??

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
What's the lowest slot number?

Read somewhere that the order is not always from AGP to top...but which was plugged in first....

What is interesting that the Digidesign tool shows no error during the self test....

Currently repairing a Motu 828 which has distorted inputs...some 625kHz signals on the input OP amps....
then I might throw out the PCI-324 completely...

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »
My Digi 001 runs perfect on my G3 B&W and my G4 DA upgraded to GHz dual.

On my MDD 867 only runs without the rack, as a ADAT IN/OUT (8 in / 8 out). In the moment I connect the cable and the rack,  the tower refuses to boot, showing briefly light on the power button and turning it off.

Attempts on plugging the rack after booting directly turns off the tower. Probably my Digi 001 is one of the first revisions (bought when the G4 PCI came to market).

I have other Digi 001 working on a 733 QS that should be more modern that the above. It has the serial port and the foot-switch connector empty. Maybe that revision is MDD compatible ...

There was a trouble IIRC with some MDD and some 001 that on old digidesign site said
you should call Apple for it to work
(Probably a firmware update for the first MDDs)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »
Hmm...firmware update for MDD?

Whatever that might be (o;

Oddly this small AD/DA device causes that trouble...but running Motu 2408 mkII and 828 in parallel runs smoothly...
But what I like about the Digi 001 is the form factor..as I would like to use it for microphone input only....the 828 for playing back and the 2408 for doing frequency response measurements of vacuum tube amplifiers...

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 02:48:54 PM »
When just playing back a small recorded 24 Bit audio track containing few seconds. it claims that I should increase the H/W buffer size...next time reduce the buffer size...or tells me that the PCI bus is too busy...though no other application is running....

It could hog the bus. On my upgraded D.A., after transferring session files via USB pendrive on OSX I unplug the USB off the tower for rock solid stability on recording sessions with clients...Never had a crash with PT5LE 5.2.1 when only the 001 were connected to the tower. When I add USB2 NEC PCI + Audiophile 24/96 it is more prone to crashes.

The PCI-324 card (and the MOTU units that suits them) for sure  eat a lot of bandwidth.

I am not claiming that your setup is impossible, just very difficult to get all the bandwidth for all the cards at the same time. I would buy another G4 for the 001 and let the MOTU gear shine on the MDD.

If you are determined to make them all work at the same time, take a piece of paper and test all possible permutations on combinations for the  4 PCI slots and the 3 cards (001+324+USB2). Probably there should be some combinations that would favor the 001 against the 324.

Did you tried DigiTest? On the PT folder, is an utility to check the hardware.

My G3@450 with the Digi 001 can handle 8 analog inputs to ADAT at 128 buffer. It can play the "Be There" demo at 128 buffer from a 5400 rpm drive... Are you running the project on the same drive/bus than the OS?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Well the Digitest program reports no errors....runs smoothly through...

Well seems I might end up splitting those cards into my two MDDs...a third one is on the way (o;

Not sure how the Motu PCI-324 card would eat up bandwidth when it's not in use when using PT LE with Digi 001 only....is the driver itself allocating all possible bandwidth?

Ah what pops into my mind as well....did you use the ASIO Digidesign driver successfully for example in Cubase?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »
Oddly this small AD/DA device causes that trouble...but running Motu 2408 mkII and 828 in parallel runs smoothly...

MOTU gigs are the best... Only Apogee, RME and Prism exceed it. IMHO.

Maybe to add a 3rd MOTU rack would have more sense than adding a foreigner PT LE card to a already working MOTU setup.

But what I like about the Digi 001 is the form factor..

Digi 001 form factor is cool... The sound not so much.

as I would like to use it for microphone input only....the 828 for playing back and the 2408 for doing frequency response measurements of vacuum tube amplifiers...
2408 mk2 has the best AD/DA on your rig. Ask DieHard and 110 for a second opinion.

828 has better mic pres than the 001 IIRC. And better AD/DA also. I had tried the 828 mk2 and is pristine quality. I guess 828mk1 is better than 001.

Are you familiar with Protools? If you are more used to Logic/CuBase/Digital Performer it could not worth to learn another DAW.

In my case it is just the opposite... I move all my music to Protools sessions, for exchanging it with folks. With the MOTU AD/DA+828 mic/pres I would make a kickass PT LE rig feeding the 001 thru the ADAT and SPDIF with the MOTU's well clocked audio.

Do 828 work thru 324 card or via firewire? 2408 works thru the 324 card IIRC.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:56 PM »

Not sure how the Motu PCI-324 card would eat up bandwidth when it's not in use when using PT LE with Digi 001 only....is the driver itself allocating all possible bandwidth?

It seems, but don't quote me on this.  ;D

Ah what pops into my mind as well....did you use the ASIO Digidesign driver successfully for example in Cubase?

I tried the Steinberg ASIO driver with the 001 and Audiomedia III. But on Logic. It works fine, but the first time it get called to be used it makes a feedback that can blow your speakers! From inside Logic I relaunch the ASIO driver and then works flawless. After that I power on the speakers.

Most of my folks back in the age used the 001 on Logic via Direct I/O for multitracking, and then select the internal sound card to take advantage of the VST plugs. 5 producers I know that used 001 back in the day didn't knew about the Steinberg ASIO driver...

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »
Throwed out all other PCI cards and installed the Digi 001 card next to the AGP slot....

Runs perfectly with showing a constant 50% PCI bus usage...

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:36 AM »

Runs perfectly with showing a constant 50% PCI bus usage...

Great... at least you know that the 001 stuff works!

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 06:04:47 AM »
Well not sure if this 50% PCI bus usage is normal or not on a 1.25GHz MDD....

At least it was a bargain at around US$ 20 (o;

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Hmm....

I assume the Digi 001 card would be again unusable when I install a SATA/SCSI card on my MDD?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
On a MDD, having a ATA 100 channel, a ATA 66 channel and the CD bay (ATA 33) I would use various ATA to SATA converters. MacTron posted some benchmark that only 64 bit cards worth occupy a PCI slot. The converters were only a little under the seritek 1SE2. Only the seritek 1SE4 gave more headroom.

You should try for yourself, if you have more than 1 G4 in what setup the  SATA/SCSI card shines. Maybe you can use DIGI 001+ SCSI/SATA card + USB card with no troubles, but I would spread the cards over the systems. No need to have USB 2.0 card on the same G4 you have the  SATA/SCSI + 001. Unless you want to have all pci slots on all machines busy...

Anyway, I have tried 001+ tempo 66 + USB 2.0 cards on a G3 B&W with no troubles... It is just to find a card order that doesn't hang the thing.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 06:18:15 AM »
I'm currently happy with the Samsung SSD with the IDE/SATA adapter....no hickups and hangs so far (o;

Moved the Digi 001 card to the first slot, and the PCI-324 to the second one...no other cards....
Both PT LE with Digi 001 and Cubase (with 2408 mk2 and 828) are running fine :-)

Well..I have 2 * MDD 1.25GHz and 1 * MDD DP 1.25GHz to test...getting rid of my Quicksilver (o;

I like PT LE more and more for audio recording....Cubase acts strangely when selecting inputs for recording...but maybe I'm doing something wrong (which is more the case ;o).