Author Topic: OS9 session files copy to USB drive not working  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
OS9 session files copy to USB drive not working
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »
I have a protools 5.1.3 setup in the basement, for tracking and want to mix on the system upstairs
I need a portable hard drive or thumb drive, to grab session folders and move them upstairs..
I have protools 6.x and macos10 on the other system, I think this is an OS9 issue with NTFS drives maybe
I copy the session file and audio files just fine but I cant open the session file, like it loses the format
The USB port on the G4 is so slow its painful but its not too bad for like 1 session at a time..
The question is do I need to reformat the drive in OS9 land somehow? I mean I have this crappy 60G USB
so I dont care if I cant read it on a PC, just its more portable, the other question is can I buy a more modern hard drive
that will be compatible with the firewire? I have this old Lacie drive which is a TANK, not very portable
thats my only concern is the age of the hard drives on the old system, also I am not networked I guess another way would be over the network..

anyway
Thanks
Steve

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: OS9 session files copy to USB drive not working
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
If you search the forums, there are many approaches to this dilemma...

1)  If you can run and Ethernet wire from the basement to the Mix room, that would be the best  and you can transfer locally via FTP, this scenario would not even need a switch if you wire the cable as "crossover" it can be used directly from NIC to NIC.

2) There have been many portable storage discussions here (please search the forum), one idea would be the famous "Lexar CF" a small firewire 400 card reader that you can place a 4GB / 8GB CF card in and bounce files, any USB solution will be very slow in OS9 and is NOT recommended

3) Remember to Format all external media with the OS 9 computer "Mac OS Extended"

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
Yeah I need a long cable for sure..

I cant seem to find how to format media in OS9, the only thing I found was "erase disk" which I did
but somehow I think I may have done that before, where are the disk utilities in OS9?

Steve :-[

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »
Should be in your Utilities folder: "Drive Setup"

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
Thanks I will check it out

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:32:09 AM »
If you' plan on going back and forth between OS9/OSX with a portable drive, make sure you take precautions (discussed on 9lives somewhere ;D) or you'll wind up having B-tree issues eventually and the drive will become unusable.

As far as PT in concerned, opening a 5.1 session in 6 isn't a problem and 5.1 will probably open a 6 session too... if not, you MIGHT have to do a 'Save As 5.1' under the 'Save Session Copy In' pulldown menu... that is if you need to take your 'upstairs' session back to the 'basement' for some overdubs. ;D