Author Topic: Go Programs?  (Read 6327 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Go Programs?
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:21:52 AM »
As there is recently some public interrest, I tried to search for some nice Go programs yesterday, and give it a try 10 years later again. I know there are some in existance, even some freeware or GPL ones for Mac OS 9. But after half an hour I gave up and got annoyed, as many websites are gone and information is hard to find these days.

Do we have some other GO players onboard, is there somebody who can post some links or the Mac Go programs directly?

And I suggest to create a new Software subforum "everything else" or similar, where this post would beling in my opinion. ;)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Go Programs?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
You mean the tools like the windows bar from that company?

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:57:23 AM »
I don´t understand. What bar? If it was a joke I didn´t get it.

I am talking about the game GO and some MAc programs that play with you, …

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:35 AM »
Have you ever seen the windows like task bar? It had "Go" as a part of it's name. Don't know about a game with the same name. Wasn't a joke but that was the first thing that I figured. Here is what I'm talking about

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/gomac-202

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:42:22 AM »
Oh, I have seen a windows task bar, even if Win2k was the last one I had to work with. And I just saw pictures of 7, 8 and 10 but never in real.
But was the "Start" button always called "go" in english Win versions? I never heard about it and only know "Start".

And the game is this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

It is more complex than Chess. Last week it was the first time that a computer won against one of the best players of the world, and thus it is everywhere in the media. And there are several programs for every plattform. I even got a good one for my Ataris. ;) So I thought perhaps there are some other GO players around who can quickly point me to the right place for Macs, as I got extremely frustrated yesterday.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:12:11 AM »
i guess we just had different things in mind. im not up to date when it comes to games. i play some old ones (os9) and the rest i dont even worry about it anymore. every now and then i watch a playthrough on youtube and my desire to play it is gone.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »
im not up to date when it comes to games. i play some old ones (os9) and the rest i dont even worry about it anymore.
Well gladly GO is a little bit older. About 2500 years (yes 4th century BC).

;-p

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »
"Action Go Mac" utilities is different from Mac Go game  :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:01:19 PM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »
Never played to GO, but in my childhood I played a lot Reversi with my brother on a real chess board using tiles from a cardboard.

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/reversi

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »
Just for the case in future someone is stumbeling across this thread, and is beside Startbuttons for Macs or Reversi really interrested in GO, I suggest "Mac GNU GO 3.2" for example. ;) It seems to be quite strong for beginners and is GPL, so sources are available too. http://www1.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~future/HTML/macgnugo.html

There are a few others like "Explorer 3.2 or "Lumpy" but they seem to be from the 68k-era and crashed at 9.2.2 here.