Author Topic: Disk Speed Upgrades (aka The Bootable PCI SATA & SSD thread)  (Read 150827 times)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Disk Speed Upgrades (aka The Bootable PCI SATA & SSD thread)
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2023, 08:06:10 AM »
How about posting a compiled executable for mere mortals?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Borgmac

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2023, 04:00:38 PM »
I FINALLY got it figured out, well, sort of... I couldn't figure out what in my implementation was causing the issue, so I decided to make a new implementation, based off a different C implementation along with a (broken) Forth implementation I came across. With this decompression routine implemented, the USB probing issue stopped happening on my MDD! So now, finally, we have a fully working ROM that fits onto a 128K EEPROM! I have attached this new ROM below, along with my patched copy of the OS 9 SeriTek flasher tool with said ROM embedded, as well as the Forth source of the new decompression implementation.
Hi dosdude, I received the AM29F010, succeeded to solder it on the SIL3112 card and it is working perfectly in G5 and B&W G3 under OSX. Thanks again for this wonderful job.
I can see the card in OS9 (see attached picture) but I cannot boot in OS9 from the card.
I use the file attached to this post, is it the correct one, working in OSX and OS9?

Offline dosdude1

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2023, 06:18:50 PM »
I FINALLY got it figured out, well, sort of... I couldn't figure out what in my implementation was causing the issue, so I decided to make a new implementation, based off a different C implementation along with a (broken) Forth implementation I came across. With this decompression routine implemented, the USB probing issue stopped happening on my MDD! So now, finally, we have a fully working ROM that fits onto a 128K EEPROM! I have attached this new ROM below, along with my patched copy of the OS 9 SeriTek flasher tool with said ROM embedded, as well as the Forth source of the new decompression implementation.
Hi dosdude, I received the AM29F010, succeeded to solder it on the SIL3112 card and it is working perfectly in G5 and B&W G3 under OSX. Thanks again for this wonderful job.
I can see the card in OS9 (see attached picture) but I cannot boot in OS9 from the card.
I use the file attached to this post, is it the correct one, working in OSX and OS9?

Yes, that ROM should work in both OS X and OS 9. Just check your drive, and ensure it is formatted correctly with a good copy of OS 9 installed that you know boots on that machine.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2023, 06:44:57 PM »
Hey so my sonnets are not worth 800 usd anymore? 🤣🤣
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline dosdude1

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2023, 09:14:05 PM »
Hey so my sonnets are not worth 800 usd anymore? 🤣🤣

I would sure hope not...

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2023, 10:47:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

Attempting to use dosdude1’s modified seritek flasher in os9 to flash one of the black Sil3112 cards in a MDD.

The seritek program detects the card and agrees that the card must be updated, but as soon as I click the update button, my whole system freezes. The flash program says ‘erasing’ and then I am unable to force quit and I have to physically power the system off.

I waited a long time before hard resetting the computer in case there was something with the flashing that required a long amount of time, but at this point I am convinced the program is freezing and not doing anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline dosdude1

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2023, 11:07:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

Attempting to use dosdude1’s modified seritek flasher in os9 to flash one of the black Sil3112 cards in a MDD.

The seritek program detects the card and agrees that the card must be updated, but as soon as I click the update button, my whole system freezes. The flash program says ‘erasing’ and then I am unable to force quit and I have to physically power the system off.

I waited a long time before hard resetting the computer in case there was something with the flashing that required a long amount of time, but at this point I am convinced the program is freezing and not doing anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

That means that the SeriTek tool doesn't like the EEPROM that's installed. Does your card have an AM28F010 EEPROM? If so, unfortunately, you cannot flash that EEPROM on the board, as it requires 12V for erasing and programming, which only can be done externally using an EEPROM programmer. Alternatively, you can replace the EEPROM on the card with a 29 or 39 series EEPROM, such as an AM29F010. These are programmable with only 5V, so these can be programmed on the board, and will work with the patched SeriTek utility. I really don't understand why these really cheap Chinese Sil3112 cards are now shipping with AM28F010 EEPROMs, but it's extremely annoying.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2023, 06:21:37 AM »
I really don't understand why these really cheap Chinese Sil3112 cards are now shipping with AM28F010 EEPROMs, but it's extremely annoying.

This is common practice in Chinese manufacturing - substituting parts for whatever is in the parts bin at the moment, counterfeit parts including.

It has burnt many western companies that have either moved their manufacturing over there or are ordering their sh*t and re-branding it. Most have someone over there to do QC. But, as soon as you turn your back...
To paraphrase Forrest Gump - "Chinese [insert anything here] is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.”
* It's not CHN bashing, I'm speaking from my own and people I know experience.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Borgmac

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #248 on: March 04, 2023, 07:25:39 AM »
Yes, that ROM should work in both OS X and OS 9. Just check your drive, and ensure it is formatted correctly with a good copy of OS 9 installed that you know boots on that machine.
It is working very well. I probably had yesterday some issue with the booting of the B&W G3.
Try again today with 2 different partitions of an Inland SSD and it does boot without any issue.

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2023, 07:37:23 AM »
Confirmed, both cards are using an AM28F010 EEPROM. Thanks for clarifying.

These were the ones I had purchased (EEPROM is not covered over like the picture illustrates) so I guess buyer beware for anyone else looking to purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194886253367

That means that the SeriTek tool doesn't like the EEPROM that's installed. Does your card have an AM28F010 EEPROM? If so, unfortunately, you cannot flash that EEPROM on the board, as it requires 12V for erasing and programming, which only can be done externally using an EEPROM programmer. Alternatively, you can replace the EEPROM on the card with a 29 or 39 series EEPROM, such as an AM29F010. These are programmable with only 5V, so these can be programmed on the board, and will work with the patched SeriTek utility. I really don't understand why these really cheap Chinese Sil3112 cards are now shipping with AM28F010 EEPROMs, but it's extremely annoying.

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2023, 12:18:28 PM »
Question(!)
I know that such cards do not work in QuickSilver, and it seems that there is an option to fix it by replacing the voltage regulator (U2). Who knows for sure in which other models such a problem manifests itself?

And so, it's been some time since I started studying the operation of the SATA controller SIL3112 on Quicksilver. And today, finally, I have an answer.
A few months ago, we discussed it with FBz by email, and he sent me an interesting post on macrumors.
I made an additional modification of the board since the last post -- replaced the voltage regulator with "FS8860 33C"
After that, QS starts without problems with SIL3112 installed and boots Mac OS 9.  8)

As a result, I checked this twice modified board in 3 computers: Power Macintosh G3, PowerMac G4 Quicksilver, PowerMac G4 MDD.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2023, 10:09:53 PM »
same situation.. weeks ago I bought 3 boards excited to be able to update them via software. Arrived yesterday they mount the AM28F010. I have the eprom programmer, can I disassemble these eproms, update the software and reassemble them? or do I need different eproms? is the firmware compatible with AM28F010 eprom ? let me know, thanks

Offline Borgmac

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2023, 05:19:24 AM »
same situation.. weeks ago I bought 3 boards excited to be able to update them via software. Arrived yesterday they mount the AM28F010. I have the eprom programmer, can I disassemble these eproms, update the software and reassemble them? or do I need different eproms? is the firmware compatible with AM28F010 eprom ? let me know, thanks
As I do not have a programmer, I replaced the AM28F010 by AM29F010 and flash it on the computer.
But if you have a programmer that can supply the 12V for flashing the AM28F010, that should be ok.

Offline Borgmac

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2023, 05:22:40 AM »
As a result, I checked this twice modified board in 3 computers: Power Macintosh G3, PowerMac G4 Quicksilver, PowerMac G4 MDD.
Thanks a lot for this very good job, I will certainly try!

Offline dosdude1

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2023, 10:00:32 AM »

Yes, once flashed with the patched/compressed ROM externally via EEPROM programmer, the card will indeed work perfectly fine with the AM28F010. It's just very unfortunate and annoying that these cheap cards are now shipping with the AM28F010... Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #255 on: March 07, 2023, 10:18:28 AM »
nothing.. I disassembled the AM28F010.. I put in the programmer, installed Rom downloaded here.. everything seemed in order.. flashed and checked everything is fine.. I soldered it doesn't work.. I don't understand.. it's not first time flash rom..always went well..has anyone tried this method? eventually I have new AM29LV040B Chips..could they be good to be mounted directly and flash on 3112 card with software?

Offline dosdude1

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2023, 11:55:59 AM »
nothing.. I disassembled the AM28F010.. I put in the programmer, installed Rom downloaded here.. everything seemed in order.. flashed and checked everything is fine.. I soldered it doesn't work.. I don't understand.. it's not first time flash rom..always went well..has anyone tried this method? eventually I have new AM29LV040B Chips..could they be good to be mounted directly and flash on 3112 card with software?

I've personally tested my patched ROM with AM28F010, and I can guarantee that it does work. Just check your soldering; chances are that's the issue. Also make sure you read the chip content back and ensure it was actually flashed successfully.

If you do install an AM29LV040, then yes, you will then be able to flash via software.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2023, 10:15:45 PM »
You are right. defective welding..difficult because contact is below..however successful. works. great job everyone!

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
SiL3112 VS. StarTech Adapter
« Reply #258 on: March 10, 2023, 06:58:49 PM »
                          Converted SATA SiL3112 Controller with AM29F010 VS. StarTech adapter with same 128 GB Inland SSD

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2023, 01:44:30 PM »
Thank you FBz !

Real numbers, this is great !

OK, so the quick math tells us that in an MDD...

Part / Whole * 100
72.66 / 82.24 * 100 = 88.35%

So, it's safe to say that the lowly PATA/SATA adapter actually runs at about 88.35% as fast as the PCI sata card in the real world; or better said... the SATA PCI will give a performance boost of about (100-88.35) 11.65%.

Now don't get me wrong a boost of 11.65% is awesome, but we should also note that SATA card eats up PCI bandwidth to achieve that extra 11.65%, so I'm just saying for some people who fill their G4s with ProTools cards, or PCI audio interface cards with DSP cards (Powercore, UAD-1) then the IDE to SATA adapter may still be the best option since it's on a separate bus... just saying :)