Author Topic: Disk Speed Upgrades (aka The Bootable PCI SATA & SSD thread)  (Read 150913 times)

macStuff

Re: Disk Speed Upgrades (aka The Bootable PCI SATA & SSD thread)
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2020, 11:42:08 PM »
right but alot of people here only care about os9 bootability; being able to accomplish that main goal with little care for osx bootability fits a niche want for alot of people here who dont care to dual boot osx/os9 but putting the focus on os9

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2020, 06:20:32 AM »
right but alot of people here only care about os9 bootability; being able to accomplish that main goal with little care for osx bootability fits a niche want for alot of people here who dont care to dual boot osx/os9 but putting the focus on os9

And "X" bootability can be achieved even without having the driver in the ROM, both PPC and Intel.
Placing the driver in the ROM is mandatory for "9" and BIOS boot only.

To be honest and without extra unnecessary offense towards the very estimated and very honorable establishment in Redmond, WA: the BIOS has the least priority.

Offline mePy2

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2020, 04:01:26 AM »
Yup, that's the ones I have 2 internal & 2 external.....for some reason I couldn't find it on their site because I couldn't remember the model number. I guess a brain fart or senior moment must have occurred. Bootable OS9 is hard to find. i will run a speed test but it wont be until next weekend.

Any news? :P

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
Yup, that's the ones I have 2 internal & 2 external.....for some reason I couldn't find it on their site because I couldn't remember the model number. I guess a brain fart or senior moment must have occurred. Bootable OS9 is hard to find. i will run a speed test but it wont be until next weekend.

The "X" driver is I think ready to roll. Completely re-done and updated.
The OF code was updated to the new port multiplier family.
Wasted several days on the flash utility, will waste some more.

The "9" for 3124 is not started, but given the state of the "X" should not take very long.

Took a break for few days.

The Sonnet PATA cards are a triviality, at least enable the Mac mode and let every card being flashed.
Except that I need a Quicksilver or similar Mac. The MDD does not work to flash a virgin (PC-based) card because of the bug in OpenFirmare it has.

Looking to make the driver for Sonnet work with PCIe adapter on any recent Mac, that would solve.
But the 3124 is a priority, in particular that it seem to be one of the fastest adapters possible for a legacy hardware.
I got over 200 MB/Sec on reads and over 170 MB/Sec on writes using a single SSD.

Offline GorfTheChosen

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2020, 06:28:40 AM »

The "X" driver is I think ready to roll. Completely re-done and updated.
The OF code was updated to the new port multiplier family.
Wasted several days on the flash utility, will waste some more.

The "9" for 3124 is not started, but given the state of the "X" should not take very long.

Took a break for few days.

The Sonnet PATA cards are a triviality, at least enable the Mac mode and let every card being flashed.
Except that I need a Quicksilver or similar Mac. The MDD does not work to flash a virgin (PC-based) card because of the bug in OpenFirmare it has.

Looking to make the driver for Sonnet work with PCIe adapter on any recent Mac, that would solve.
But the 3124 is a priority, in particular that it seem to be one of the fastest adapters possible for a legacy hardware.
I got over 200 MB/Sec on reads and over 170 MB/Sec on writes using a single SSD.

Sometime today the nice mail lady will presumably deliver to me a SiL 3124 card which I have been waiting several weeks for.

So I look forward to any progress you are making on this project (no pressure ...  ;D)

Best of luck.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2020, 07:36:51 PM »
I'm still trying to get my hands on a Mathey Msata-13UMAC as it looks like it uses the via6421a chip, PC cards based on this are both really cheap and really easy to get hold of. Just I have never seen a Mathey Msata-13UMAC for sale anywhere....

I looked up the via6421a - it looks like quite easy chip. But I don't want to spread all my resources now.
I would rather finish all the 3124 work + CMD 680/3112/3114 first.

Apologies for being slow, I can't work other way than as the engineer and sometimes I could be stuck with design or re-design questions.

The Promise world with 20268 - 20271 is an other thing, they painted themselves into corner with stupidly designed copy-protection.
I already converted one TX2 to the "real thing" (happened few days ago) but successfully ruined other Promise cards I have.

I recall, putting them back to normal is possible with beige machines only.

If anyone would give me access to a "beige" machine in the Frankfurt - Basel - Straßburg - Karlsruhe area would be nice.

Unfortunately I may bring with me a gift no one wants (COVID-19).
So better to wait few weeks.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »

If anyone would give me access to a "beige" machine in the Frankfurt - Basel - Straßburg - Karlsruhe area would be nice.

Any member that's close, please get him a Beige Desktop G3, any storage advancements for OS 9 are historic at this point, ant we are blessed to even have a possibility of success.

Let's hope not, don't even say that, you must stay healthy for the collective :)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
I'm willing to give 10€. Diehard, maybe start a FundMe campaign?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »

Any member that's close, please get him a Beige Desktop G3, any storage advancements for OS 9 are historic at this point, ant we are blessed to even have a possibility of success.

Let's hope not, don't even say that, you must stay healthy for the collective :)

It already happened - and to say the least, it does not affect positively the performance.
I have difficulty to concentrate.
Got lost today with the car and do not even know, where I turned the wrong direction.
Went 77 (this is considered to be traffic impairment), it felt for me like going 100+.
Have to sleep at random times. The dry cough and the headache is horribly annoying.
Pretty much that's it.

Almost everybody has it here, people just don't talk. Was in grocery store (after picking up PCI cards and G4 D/A in the pack station) called "Mix Markt".
That is a store chain similar to Trader's Joe, except most of the produce is from Eastern Europe.
Asked at the check-out, how is the situation in Germany.
In true East European (she was from RU) matter I was told: "Here everyone of us is a PRINCESS" (i.e. is "crowned").

The borders are semi-closed. The main crossing at Iffizheim is monitored by the (French) police - once in a while.
They have special thermometers and can pull over everyone who has fever.
But they flash from the distance, so we can see and U-turn.

The next crossing over the defunct railroad bridge is not monitored at all - so we go there.

The Czech lady who works in the DHL pack station (see G4 D/A) lives in France, she hopes that the border over the defunct railway bridge won't be closed - otherwise people in Germany can't pick up the packages sent from Germany. She is an exception being not ill (yet).

The symptoms - I can testify - are a mere annoyance and reduce the quality of the software unless I pay extra attention.

Far worse than COVID-19 is drinking and driving. And people do that on daily basis. And let's not compare the mortality due DUI vs. COVID-19.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »
Few more examples, how "bad" COVID-19 is.

1) I successfully modified a Promise FastTrak100TX-2 card.
2) After that, I did something I don't remember.
3) After that, I screwed up every single Promise card I have, except the FastTreak100TX-2 above mentioned.

Now, they show up on x64-Macs only. Except the one I modified. I honestly do not remember, what I did!
But the "healthy" Mac-converted FastTreak100TX-2 is here as a witness.

Than... just made a tea, forgot to put the hook on the edge of the glass, the entire thing sunk like a submarine.

Than, as mentioned, got scared driving way to fast. Looked at the instrument: 77mph.
It felt (the road was even like a mirror) driving 105. It's American model, can't get more due electronic speed block.

Other than these... Ah, yes, broke today the green AGP "handle" on the "brand-new" G4 D/A (or whatever it is called, same model as Quicksilver).
Just broke it off. The computer came with 128 Rage Pro (!!!) junk, have bunch of Apple-brand 9000 and 9000 Pro-s, the first thing is of course to throw away the Rage Pro.

But not the way I did!

This is the first time in my life I broke the AGP slot "handle". Not a big loss, but it's amazing how clumsy I became.

And so on.

Bunch of fried Promise cards, one broken AGP handle, kitchen looks like a mess because I am tired and my tea filter hook is yucky = all victims of COVID-19.

People are far more afraid to lose their jobs than to get infected.
As it looks, the second will likely happen anyway: Chancellor Angela Merkel announced, she expects 60-70% of the population to get infected.

I hope, she and her colleagues of other countries will do the job regarding the economy, the panic does not help and there is no need to have it.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »
Hehe, most people from Marseille to Moscow can't buy any ammo legally and easy way.
I mean, in both places I could if I would apply to all permits - but 99.99....9% of the people don't waste their time with such stupidity.
Actually, who would be allowed - won't want to get that permit anyway.

In my case I would rather buy few (more) good PCIe - PCI(-X) bridges that work.
See the update with AHCI on G4.

The situation here is that everyone who can tries to stay at home, hoarding is less prevalent (but I did see some simplicities buying tons of meat).
Who have to work, trying to get away with jokes and sarcasm.

The mortality statistics is far better, than reported, that is for sure. The statistics how many people are sick is completely off, probably by x10 or more.
The reason is no one wants to go to hospital and being locked away. So only people who are really ill report the case.
The rest trying to fit a new AHCI controller in an old G4MDD. That is a 400FW G4, I just upgraded the processor with a pull from a 800FW machine.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,5385.0.html

So in the theory - since I wrote the AHCI driver for G5, later I could port it to G4 as well.
The controller is a common Marvell, the trick is the CORRECT bridge!

I am using the StarTech which is slightly more expensive, about $30 - $50 on fee-bay.
Do not buy the Chinese-made one for $20-$25, it DOES NOT WORK, PIECE OF JUNK.
The one which works is made in Taiwan.

Say thanks to "COVID-19", would not happen that soon, staying ill within 4 walls is sometimes not that bad.
My "crown" is already over 10 days "old", so statistically it means ca. 10 more days. 8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:19:24 AM by DieHard »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2020, 07:13:55 AM »
Hey (S)ATAman... How are you doing? I hope you're starting to feel better! Your 'real world' reporting was more informative than all of the 24/7 news channels here in the US!! Get well OS9 brother!! :)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »
Hey (S)ATAman... How are you doing? I hope you're starting to feel better! Your 'real world' reporting was more informative than all of the 24/7 news channels here in the US!! Get well OS9 brother!! :)

Thanks - not to bad, but everyone who has "XY" chromosome set and is over 35 should prepare that in bad case there could be a quite dangerous pneumonia (that's for "XX", too). And in good case - a royal, crowned pain in the @ss (your prostate will say you a loud "hello"). If you do not know, what that word ("prostate") does mean, you will learn it. ;D

So get the relief medication just in case. Not a big deal, just pain in the @ss.

Otherwise this was the first day of the curfew.
Since I don't speak French, I learned it not even from our embassy, but from a worker at Belarus embassy in Paris.
Called them because of a trivial matter, the guy told me: "oh, behold - the military police just took over the streets".
I told him: "oops"....

Than later called U.S. embassy to learn, what to do. The most useless folks ever. I was switched to a county simplicity who is somewhere in West Virginia. I asked her, what to do with the curfew and that I am infected and stuck in France.
She told me: "go to the hospital". That was the point, where I had to hang up.

(Because the guy from BY told me things just the opposite, but that time the paperwork wasn't available on-line).
Than called an other embassy, the "second" one of us.

They provided me with the paperwork to fill and to keep when I have to take the trash out or buy groceries.
Otherwise told the same, what the Belarus guy told: don't invent any own idea (like running to hospital), as long as your only pain is "downstairs" and cough + dizziness: stay firmly at home, don't even call emergency (let the others call, who are over 70 and have fever). Don't go to the hospital: my car has very inviting U.S. plates, the police will immediately pull me over and in best case give 200 Euro fine, in worst case 3 years prison for curfew violation.

So if I would follow what that goose from Department of State did tell me: 200 Euro +/- 3 years in prison.
And fill out that simple paper!

The paper what we have to fill out is attached. Quite simple: your name, birthdate, where you stay in France, why are you out of your home. And the U.S. embassy was unable to provide me with that paper!

Other than these annoyances the life goes forward, just a bit slower.
We try to make jokes about our @ss and the dangerous COVID-bats from dark, horrible East Europe with Vampire State Building.

I was shocked to learn, in the States people buy ammo! What for?

People are very supportive of the curfew, the trick is not to stop the disease: it is impossible.
The trick is to gain time until vaccine is available and try to slow down the pandemic as much as possible.
I am not in any statistics, neither is the majority of people.
Because of that, the real mortality is far less, than the official rate: if officially, say, 40 people of 1000 would die due complications, the real infection number is closer to 10000 - we just are encouraged not to report it, mainly because the test is long + expensive and why would I make doctors busy for minor inconveniences I have, while others may need urgent help?

So, I think, it is better to prepare with some minor relief medication.
However, taking any medication against the fever is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN: it could make things much worse.
Otherwise see, what the Consul of Belarus embassy told, together with "our" second embassy lady and apply it.

The scare or panic does not help of course. Ah, yes, do not buy any canned food, totally useless. In 2020 one will run out of food, not even in rural NKorea. But taking a bit less risk and order fresh things on-line makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:32:35 PM by (S)ATAman »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2020, 10:09:05 PM »
i just ordered a dozen of sidewinder rockets from amazon to be well prepared for the zombie apocalypse.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2020, 06:48:30 AM »
Glad your doing OK (S)ATAman !! Thanks for the update... once again very informative on a 'real world' level. It gives us a better idea of what is REALLY going on there and also where we are likely headed in the US.

Maybe OS9Lives should create a separate category for COVID related topics as I've seen a few other forums do. It seems better to get info from actual people that we trust instead of 'media outlets' that feed us with carefully crafted statements and such... not that I have anything against being manipulated!! Haha! ;D

Anyway... Thanks again for the helpful update and keep them coming!!  ;D

Get Well!!! 

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »
was shocked to learn, in the States people buy ammo! What for?

simple... when Beto O'Rourke and Joe Biden go door to door, we'll have a little present for them...

ROFL - I already have quite efficient ammo against people of Biden's age, got it for free. 😷👑
But don't wish him anything bad, just may he retire happily and enjoy the life.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2020, 04:41:18 PM »
Glad your doing OK (S)ATAman !! Thanks for the update... once again very informative on a 'real world' level. It gives us a better idea of what is REALLY going on there and also where we are likely headed in the US.

Maybe OS9Lives should create a separate category for COVID related topics as I've seen a few other forums do. It seems better to get info from actual people that we trust instead of 'media outlets' that feed us with carefully crafted statements and such... not that I have anything against being manipulated!! Haha! ;D

Anyway... Thanks again for the helpful update and keep them coming!!  ;D

Get Well!!!

Thanks - it's stagnating, with few hours daily when the body temperature wants to rise, rises slightly and than goes back.
But working is bit hard, do not have enough will power to press and more often than not just fall asleep.
This is what the Big Boss(es) in Embassy(es) and the doc told me to do, so I follow the leader(s).

The quality of the U.S. citizen service improved overnight, they are now extremely well-informed, professional and not letting people down.
Thumbs up for them.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2020, 11:25:29 PM »
simple... when Beto O'Rourke and Joe Biden go door to door, we'll have a little present for them...

it´s funny how trump accuses the chinese - the US is probably the country which lies the most about their own situation (that´s what think here in europe)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »

it´s funny how trump accuses the chinese - the US is probably the country which lies the most about their own situation (that´s what think here in europe)

I think just that no one was prepared. The most funny accusation is of course that Chinese created the virus intentionally.
They can't make a decent PCI - to - PCIe bridge board!

Tried the one you can buy on eBay for ca. $24 and it absolutely does not work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ST42-PXE8112-PCI-to-2-5Gbps-PCI-Express-1-0-PCI-X-Bridge-32Bit-Adapter-Card-SH/254426719650

On "X" I got "panic" under 10.2.8, 10.3, 10.4.11 and 10.5.8
On "9" I got MacsBug screen.

This was even without any PCIe card.

Than I got the Startech bridge board for $35 (or maybe it was 35 Euro?), a seller from Poland sent it to me. It is made in Taiwan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-to-PCI-Express-Adapter-Card/123341684227

No panics, all registers to be seen and on 10.5.8 even Apple AHCI driver did load on G4 MDD.

- which one you would buy?
- can they make a decently "working" COVID-19?

The "opposite" bridge (using PCI card in Thunderbolt chassis) made in China

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-x1-to-PCI-Bridge-card-PEX8112-AA66-Chipset-pci-slot-converter-card/193394307550

is equally a piece of junk.

Did not try the Startech yet, they have that, too - but it's $10 more, as usual.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card/123341684302

The price of Startech cards is inflated, the realistic one is the price of Chinese junk + 10 Euro / + $10.

I assume, it will work, just have way to much things to do and this COVID-19 makes me sleep most of the day.

The Chinese cards are like the problem my friend from Serbia had. (And don't forget - they know about the 3114 / 3112 sleep problems - just want to save money by not using Micrel!)

My friend ordered bunch of power supplies from China, it was fine.
Later he ordered more, they did cost 30¢ less.

He made external boxes, one self-detonated in Bucharest, the other box self-detonated in Sarajevo.

He had to drive from Belgrade to Bucharest and from Belgrade to Sarajevo to fix the problem and exchange the power supply.
He complained to Chinese that he ordered power supplies for external drives, not explosive devices.
They wrote back that they changed the design to save him 30¢.
He answered that the cost of gasoline from Belgrade to Bucharest and back and from Belgrade to Sarajevo and back is more, than 2 x 30¢.
Chinese did not understand that part. Wow.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:35:02 PM by (S)ATAman »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2020, 04:36:13 AM »
PCI to PCIe is a lie. it´s cofefe. the democrats invented it.