Author Topic: StudioVision PPC error of type 3  (Read 5215 times)

Offline dust

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
StudioVision PPC error of type 3
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:00 AM »
I installed SVP 4.5 freeware on a G4 (AGP) and it works!
I did what I thought was the same installation on a G4 MDD using the MacOS9Lives CD for a fresh system and I get "the application studiovision powerpc has unexpectedly quit because an error of type 3 occurred" when I try to start it.  Any ideas?
I am using DAE 5.1.1, audiomedia iii, and pro tools LE 5.1.1 works

Offline dust

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: StudioVision PPC error of type 3
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:46 AM »
Just got it to work by choosing "Don't Make" when it opens and OMS instruments screen comes up.  still kinda annoying.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: StudioVision PPC error of type 3
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »
My guess is you're missing something in the OMS extension folder on the MDD. Are you trying to open SVP files on the MDD that were created on the AGP? If so, is your Studio Setup identical on both machines? Did you install OMS on the MDD and create the same Studio Setup?

Type 3 is an "illegal instruction" error which is a catchall term for an operation that can't (or sometimes just shouldn't) be completed for a hundred different reasons. When you previously clicked "Make" the app went looking for your current OMS Studio Setup file and either didn't find it, or found a corrupted version of it. Choosing "Don't Make" bypasses that but puts up the studio instruments that were in use when the file was originally saved.

This is a common issue with SVP (not the crash, just having to make or not make instruments when you open a file) It's one of those things that would have been resolved if Opcode had not been blown up. There's a little weirdness in the OMS / SVP relationship but it should NOT cause a crash. So check your OMS install and your Setup file.