Author Topic: Game is B&W but should be color.  (Read 3689 times)

Offline fjelle

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Game is B&W but should be color.
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »
Hello fellow mac fans!

I am currently playing with my old Macintosh Performa 6400. It has 136 MB RAM and a 120 GB Hard Drive. It is running Mac Os 8.6. There is currently no graphics card besides the on-board graphic.

I have the game PGA Tour Golf 1 and 2 which I really would like to be able to play.  However, everytime I run either one it opens in Black and White. I have tried every possible color-setting, but it's no good. Other games are fine and able to play in color.

Anyone have a suggestion to solve the problem? Of course this happens to the game I want to play the most. *Sigh*

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Game is B&W but should be color.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
I only have the demo version of PGA TOUR Golf II. I note it only seems to support B&W or 256 colours, but the game works in the expected manner with either option for me.
Does your Mac have a 256 col option?
I also note the video on a 6400 is slightly unusual in that uses a fixed 1M of RAM. This may or may not be a factor. Reducing a high video resolution may help if it is a memory issue.

Offline fjelle

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 01:24:52 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

I have tried all the color settings down to 4 colors and every resolution down to 640x860.

I used to play this game on the same computer, however, the difference now is, that it runs OS 8.6 instead of OS 7.5.5. It's very strange.  :-[

What OS have you tried the demo on?

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:53 AM »
I agree the game is not too good in black and white. I tried it on an 8500 with 8.1, and a B&W G3 with 8.6.
Unfortunately I don't have anything similar to a 6400.

The obvious thing is to revert back to 7.5.5 but that may not be practical if you don't have another HD. Maybe you have a 7.5 CD you can boot off - the system requirements suggest it might work even with a slimmed down system.