Author Topic: Any tricks dealing with DSP allocation?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Any tricks dealing with DSP allocation?
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
I have 5 mix cards in a session just shy of 64 tracks, everything works great except tools 5.1.3 will not let me add additional effects such as pitch blender, TCI, GRM or even H-TDM even though the activity monitor shows 3 unused DSP slots. it will let me add basic plug ins like eq's and compressors but not the bigger effects.

This is a problem I run into on some sessions, and I cant figure out why or even, what the common factor is?

:o

As always thanks for all your amazing help!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Any tricks dealing with DSP allocation?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 07:57:06 AM »
You could try moving the tracks with the most 'heavy duty' plugins to the far left (mix window) of the session, as this supposedly allows the plugs to load in a more DSP efficient manner.

Use 'Aux Ins' with effects when you can... so you can 'send' multiple channels to a single effect, so instead of putting a delay/reverb/whatever on individual channels, 'send' the channels a single effect.

Also you could start bouncing tracks to stereo 'stems'... like a pairs of background vocals, acoustic guitars, synths or whatever would be appropriate... then you can delete (or 'make inactive'/'hide') those tracks and associated effects... This will also simplify the session considerably and make 'Mixing' easier/ more fun. Do a 'save as' first, in case you need to rebalance at some point.   

Time to add the other 2 Mix cards as well!! ;D ;D

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 11:10:44 PM »
You could try moving the tracks with the most 'heavy duty' plugins to the far left (mix window) of the session, as this supposedly allows the plugs to load in a more DSP efficient manner.

Use 'Aux Ins' with effects when you can... so you can 'send' multiple channels to a single effect, so instead of putting a delay/reverb/whatever on individual channels, 'send' the channels a single effect.

Also you could start bouncing tracks to stereo 'stems'... like a pairs of background vocals, acoustic guitars, synths or whatever would be appropriate... then you can delete (or 'make inactive'/'hide') those tracks and associated effects... This will also simplify the session considerably and make 'Mixing' easier/ more fun. Do a 'save as' first, in case you need to rebalance at some point.   

Time to add the other 2 Mix cards as well!! ;D ;D

Wow thanks for the tip, I did not know about the left side trick. Everything else is I have been doing already for quite a while, except for some effects that tend to get overloaded loosing quality and definition that I keep on individual tracks.

I have two more cards but simply have not gotten around to making a 7 node cable even though I have the parts, kinda worried I will short something out. If I had the two extra cards installed in the expansion chassis none of this would be an issue as my total DSP would exceed my work flow maximums.   ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:06:28 AM »

If I had the two extra cards installed in the expansion chassis none of this would be an issue as my total DSP would exceed my work flow maximums.   ;D

Yeah, going from 5 to 7 cards made a noticeable difference for me. There are still limits of coarse but there is a LOT more breathing room! ;D

I DO bump into the RTAS/CPU ceiling from time to time so I try to avoid RTAS when I can.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:26:27 AM »

I have two more cards but simply have not gotten around to making a 7 node cable even though I have the parts,

Believe me, I'm ALL TOO FAMILIAR with THIS scenario!! Haha! ;D ... But hey, If Knezzen can do it can't be THAT hard!!! Haha! ;D ;D ;D

Actually Knezzen has a fairly descriptive 'tutorial' of sorts floating around here somewhere that you've probably seen at some point.