Author Topic: blueray firewire solution  (Read 7398 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
blueray firewire solution
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »
i would like to add a BD burner to my G4-based audio setup.

does anyone have good experience with that?

as it seems the firewire-400 enclosures for both optical and 3,5" HDs have been removed from the OWC shop a few days ago - and i would like to buy it second hand anyway.

it seems impossible to find fw-400 to SATA solutions on ebay, what product beside the OWC stuff can i search for?

the bd funtionality is unproblematic with 10.4.11 and toast. but how can i be sure if it works via firewire-to-SATA?
in best case i would like the drive to work at least for reading CD/DVD in OS9, too. will that work?)

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: blueray firewire solution
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
I would try a second hand firewire to ATA and the converter ATA to SATA, but you are 50 percent it to work.

There is something different when firewire and  optical drives . There was a LaCie unit rare for DVD that maybe you can retrofit to.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
conversion from IDE to SATA is known to disable burning capabilities in most configurations.
plus the adapter might not fit in the case. :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »
so, now i am actually doing it :) but i still cant find a used enclosure.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
so, via usb 1.1. ... you can burn BDXL only at 1x speed ... 200 minutes :D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
so, via usb 1.1. ... you can burn BDXL only at 1x speed ... 200 minutes :D

That is painful, I feel your burn

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
it is about the same nonsense like moving the image files to a fw disk, and attach that to another computer in order to use usb 2.
because of the lack of gigabit ethernet i can also not use a mini and burn from the oroginal location via network.

i spent like 2 hours on various portals now and nobody wants to seel me such a case (or actually i would like to buy 2 or three)

maybe i go the route PTLEGuy suggests and build one myself? i.e. i get a cheap HD case, and use only the backpanel and controller? :) i dont need audio and no led and stuff.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
I have tons of cases... think they are ADC model with FW400 and PATA/IDE, can you use an adapter

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »
in very old enclosures there could be enough space to insert an adapter for a modern drive because modern drives are shorter than 1998 ones. but i dont think it will be a very intelligent solution,

i could as well try to get an IDE burner, but they are also hard to find and usually only 1 or 2x speed. 4x speed would be what makes the most sense.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 06:29:48 AM »
now that i say it ... it seems i am wrong. sony and plextor both had an IDE model which is faster. you could use one of those simply as main optical drive in each mac.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »
damn, all of them (IDE) have that oversized frontpanel :)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 07:48:41 AM »
conversion from IDE to SATA is known to disable burning capabilities in most configurations.
plus the adapter might not fit in the case. :)
Mi experience shows the opposite...
All my SATA CD/DVDs are in a IDE connector with an adaptor, saving a SATA connector to be used in fast devices.
I'm very interested in to kow how a BR drive will work into Mac Os 9. But I have to note that I failed to wrote into DL DVD's in Mac Os 9 a few years ago...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:10:53 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
my todays test setup consists of 2 burners from plextor and asus via usb 1 and the asus is not even recognised by toast.

the media i burned can not be mounted/read in mac os 9. but i did not exspect anything else. even if the drive would work without usb device driver you probably wont be able to see BD disks in OS9.

here is an offer of 150 slim line IDE burners for $3500. if it would be 15 and not 150 we could get those and share. i would take 4-5.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/150x-Panasonic-UJ-220-BluRay-Brenner-IDE-Anschlus-mit-Blende-flach/273105385339?epid=72717809&hash=item3f9659777b:g:4eIAAOSwH1VapT6X

like all IDE burners they do 50 GB media only at 1x speed. but one can easily mount it with tape into the ZIP slot of a quicksilver and connect it to the unused ATA 33 port.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
got myself an older freecom quattro.

https://www.freecom.com/product/hard-drive-quattro-3.0-2tb-56067/

it is for HDs but from what i can tell when i hold the BD burner at its front, an optical drive should also fit into the case. will try that sunday.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:45:09 PM by IIO »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
so, of course it does not work. the controller board is quite huge and vertically mounted, also the frontpanel is not made of pure plastik as i hoped.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 01:09:20 AM »
mactron can you recommend a specific model of adapter? i´d be willing to try it out even when the burner no longer fits in the case this way. there are some 50 different adapters on ebay.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »
mactron can you recommend a specific model of adapter? i´d be willing to try it out even when the burner no longer fits in the case this way. there are some 50 different adapters on ebay.

Unfortunately the ones I bought, and was proven to work great, are no longer on sale ...  :(

Is an AGESTAR branded ...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:45:47 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
i am ordering three different nonbranded cards now.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
tested three different firewire 400 to IDE enclosures with three different unbranded IDE to SATA converters (specs completely unknown, 5 euro/8 USD) today, and everything (incl. DVD-RAM) seems to work well in both OSX and OS9.

i also had luck with the space required for mounting. in one enclosure things are a bit narrow, in two the adapter fits in as if it would have been made for that purpose.

so you guys were right with the idea that it is relatively unproblematic for optical drives and this will remain my solution for the future. thanks for your patience.

p.s. one of my burners has a metal panel on its backside and the SATA converter´s soldering points almost touches it. maybe i am paranoid but i´ve put a piece of plastic bag between.