Author Topic: OS923 Member requests for new OS enhancements.  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
OS923 Member requests for new OS enhancements.
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
My old websites are now subdomains of my new website.
Priority 1 is my website. (This takes almost all my time.)
Priority 2 is my shareware. (Now I'm working on a firewall.)
Priority 3 is OS 9.2.3. (The last upload was 1.0d5 on September 2, 2013.)

If I want to get it right, then this has to be done:
    • PowerPlant has to be replaced with a framework without exceptions.
    • The HFS instructions have to be replaced with HFS+ instructions (for long filenames and long files).
    • The Finder has to be replaced with something that shows long filenames in Unicode.
    [/b]
    [/list]
    The plan is to complete the program 'Check volumes' and then leave it there.
    I continue to use that while I work on the better system which I will call OS 9.2.4.
    I dropped support for G3's, but some parts may continue to work on some G3's.

I released it on your request but don't start shouting if you don't like it.
    ('Check volumes' has a working interface but it performs nothing.)

I changed it to make it work on a 1280 x 1024 screen.

The download is here:
    http://shareware.gangstalkingwiki.com/OS923_download.php

The help is included.

"C++ macros" has always been the most problematic part.
    Translation for mere mortals.
    PowerPlant Framework
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPlant
    PowerPlant is an object-oriented GUI toolkit, application framework and set of class libraries for Mac OS, created by Metrowerks. The framework was fairly popular during the late (OS versions 8 and 9) Classic Mac OS era, and was primarily used with CodeWarrior. It was designed to work with a GUI editor called Constructor, which was primarily a resource editor specializing in UI elements. Constructor used several custom resource types, 'PPob' ("PowerPlant object"—a general view description), 'CTYP' (custom widgets), and Mcmd (used for dispatching menu-related events).

After Metrowerks was acquired by Motorola, then spun out as part of Freescale Semiconductor, PowerPlant and the rest of the CodeWarrior desktop development tools were discontinued. In February 2006, the PowerPlant class libraries were released as open source under the BSD license hosted on SourceForge. Although it could theoretically be recompiled for x86-64 Macs, it is Carbon-dependent and therefore can be used in 32-bit mode only.

During its heyday from the mid-1990s until the early 2000s, PowerPlant was the most popular framework available for Mac programmers,[1][2] replacing both the THINK Class Library and MacApp as the premier object-oriented toolkit for the MacOS; however, the transition to OS X was rather difficult for many PowerPlant programmers. A new version, PowerPlant X, was introduced in 2004 as a native Carbon framework, using Carbon Events but never became as popular on OS X as PowerPlant had been on Classic Mac OS.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Macros.html

3 Macros

A macro is a fragment of code which has been given a name. Whenever the name is used, it is replaced by the contents of the macro. There are two kinds of macros. They differ mostly in what they look like when they are used. Object-like macros resemble data objects when used, function-like macros resemble function calls.

You may define any valid identifier as a macro, even if it is a C keyword. The preprocessor does not know anything about keywords. This can be useful if you wish to hide a keyword such as const from an older compiler that does not understand it. However, the preprocessor operator defined (see Defined) can never be defined as a macro, and C++'s named operators (see C++ Named Operators) cannot be macros when you are compiling C++.

I can't help with the USB 2 driver. I looked into it, but I find it too difficult.

I'm capable of writing a Finder replacement. REALbasic is the right language. It supports long file names, Unicode and drag and drop. My program "Basic filter" has shown that REALbasic is fast enough. I would integrate something like "Basic filter". It would be programmable in Basic instead of AppleScript.

REALbasic 1.x, 2.x & 3.x
    http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/realbasic-1x-2x-3x

REALbasic 5.5.5
    http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/realbasic-555
    OS9.2.3 member answer to the 553/555 version post on garden
    It's one of the greatests stuffs here. Unfortunately, you can't debug it on Linux. There's a strange mistake in linking the Linux version. Sometimes it will link incorrectly. When the program starts up, then it shows assertion boxes. I make this problem go away by linking it with REALbasic 5.5.3 for Windows. There's also an obscure error with threads. The default stack size is 64 K on Mac, 904 K on Windows and 16 K on Linux. This causes a crash on Linux if the Run is not really simple. You can change the stack size to 64 K before calling Run.
    REALbasic_5.5.3_Pro.zip is for Windows. The project files are compatible with version 5.5.5. If you make a Windows project on a Mac with an RBScript, then the program will probably crash when it quits. It has to be linked with the Windows version.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:20:53 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
    Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
    • Platinum Member
    The Benefits of Using PowerPlant
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
    https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/white-paper/CWPWRPLNTWP.pdf

A developer using PowerPlant™ can write code once that targets both Classic Mac® OS and
    Mac® OS X from a single code base. This means the application can reach a larger market
    more easily, and get to the market more quickly. This paper discusses these and other
    advantages to using PowerPlant as the underlying application framework for Mac OS.
    Looking for MacOS 9.2.4