Author Topic: Hi  (Read 15821 times)

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
Hi
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »
Hi, Guys. 
Die Hard, loved your welcome post!!!  Absolutely, why reinvent the wheel?
My eMac (Logic Express 7) died recently and I'm real excited to have this opportunity to download something for an OS9 machine i picked up off Craigslist (an early G4 tower).
BTW, i'm still using my 1997 PowerPC running 7.6.1 (not for music, i lost my old Cubase, but for A-10 Cuba! and Kids games).   
I'm not a real computer guy, but it seems like you guys will be able to help me out if i get stuck on an installation.  Hope to be making some more music soon!!!!!!!
Ensoniq KS-32
AKAI MPC500
Guitar
Bass
Drums
Piano
https://soundcloud.com/dj_rockbeats
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2Cmha_oWndTqgG4Eaid4Q

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:42:24 AM »
Hi.
Great to have you here!
I love MPC rocker  ;)
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
[youtube]fJ-rN-Uf-KY[/youtube]
Rock!!!!!

[youtube]9wPUy0ZCD5w[/youtube]
More cowbell!!!! Cool!

[youtube]Rlv4z1rzOjg[/youtube]
Not my style but nice too.

It's nice to have you here.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Thank You!!! 

I need to ask for your guys recommendation for a DAW to download for a G4 (AGP model) tower running OS9

I've used Garageband 3 and Logic 7 and they're fine.  I liked their synths and effects and eventually figured out how to use the Time Pitch Machine in Logic.

I've never used ProTools, but am thinking of trying the ProTools Free.

What do you think?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
I would try Logic 4 if you came from Logic 7 and Garage Band.

I would pick a cheap Audiomedia III or a Digi 001 if you want a serious PT level with more than the 8 tracks that PTFree gave or a M-Audio AP 24/96 for Logic/Cubase.

I would use the Complete DAW Restore with Cubase VST/32 with Pre-Authorized Virtual Instuments & FX from http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2716.0 as a starting point, and add Logic 4.x any version.

microLogic AV http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1487.0 if you just want a multitrack recorder.

or 4.x from the Logic Anthology http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=811.0 and copy the VST folder from cubase to the place that Logic is installed and delete all the plugs that can't be loaded in Logic (a few Cubasians only). Logic will complaint about them every time you boot Logic, so take a notepad and delete them until you find that logic loads to the autoload song.

Protools has a learning curve ideal for musicians IMHO. If you come from Logic it can be a Love/Hate story. In the end you can use Logic for composing and Protools for tracking.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »
Thank you so much!  Yeah, ProTools is looking a little complicated to me.  I will probably try Logic 4.X maybe with the Cubase VST's

YOU Rock!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
Cubase VST, no doubt :)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »
it's asking for a password for the Cubase download.  Did i miss it somewhere?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
It is on the post. Read it twice!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
lol.  Thank You  :o

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 05:01:05 AM »
Uh.  Bear with me here.

In order to "create a small unused volume in Mac OS9 using disk utility"  I need to select "mount volumes", correct?

I had an OS9 disk and booted from that (holding down C), opened disk utility, but the "mount volumes" option was greyed out when i selected the hard drive. 

Am i on the right track?  What am i doing wrong?

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
Ok, I'm going to attempt to answer my own question.

I need to format a USB drive?

At this point i may just buy an old copy of OSX 10.3 so i can run Logic 7. 

Or, i wish i could find a copy of Logic 4 or Cubase VST on EBay...

Not sure i can hack this  :-[

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
Hi, Hi…

Right idea, wrong app.

This is going to involve completely erasing your HD, so if there's anything on there you want to keep, back it up first!

After booting from the OS9 disk just as you did, launch "Drive Setup". Then:
Select your HD, then click "Initialize"
In the dialog box, click "Custom Setup"
From the "Partition Scheme" menu, choose 2
Now drag the horizontal lines in the "Volumes" map to create the small volume you need along with the much larger main volume
Click OK, then "Initialize"

When finished, you'll have two HD icons on the desktop. One drive, two volumes.

Piece of cake!

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
Ok, for 'type' of volume it says 'Mac OS Extended'.  Is that ok?

Am i supposed to reinstall OS9 at some point in this process?  When?

(I guess we're already supposed to have a restore CD?  I happen to have 9.0.4, but...)

My machine isn't connected to the internet so I was going to transfer the files with a USB stick.  Will that work?

I still don't understand the purpose of the extra volume?

I'm also confused by these directions:
" launch the ASR and select the volume to newly created volume to restore to... remember it will erase the volume you are restoring to"

Thoughts? :-\

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
OK, now that we know you're not connected to the internet, the general process here is to download the "instant DAW", restore (by burning) that image to an actual CDR, then install it to your previously prepared HD.

This is designed to be as simple as can be, but you'll have to tread carefully because it's apparent you have a lot to learn about the basics of the Mac at the same time - nothing wrong with that, just a reality.

Actually, you probably don't need the extra volume if you're not downloading the DAW from the net on this machine.(?) I believe it's just supposed to be a separated "landing point" for the download…
Personally, I can't speak to all of the details of the "instant DAW" instructions because I've never used it. I believe if you read the threads discussing it on the Forum and put that together with the instructions, you'll get it.

Maybe someone here who is familiar with this can take up this support with Hunterkarr?

Mr. Happy perhaps…?

Offline hunterkarr

• new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »
Thanks, Gary.  That does help about burning the CD (didn't think of it). 

Now i'm dealing with another problem, my CD tray won't open or read any disks, or start up holding down "c"...

I feel like it happened after i started effing around with the hard drive, but am not sure.  Ugh

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
How do you know that it doesn´t read any disks when it doesn´t open?

Are you sure that your CD is bootable?

Hold down the mouse button when you switch on your computer and the CD drive will open.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »
It could happen that the CD reader is on slave? Check if it is on Master ( and the ZIP or drive under it is SLAVE).

My macs love to have all devices on cable select

Your CD reader could be incompatible. MacTron showed us a LG drive OS9 compatible on sale.

If you have OS X running on the machine, download the drag'n'drop OS9 version on the same drive from OSX and expand it. Check on Drive Utility if the drive has the OS9 drivers (needed to boot), nd you have a OS9 bootable system in the same drive than your OSX. Download the Cubase stuff and the ASR stuff, and you should boot OS9 from that drive. To do that: Control panels>startup disk and should appear the OS9 drag'n'drop system to. Then, Format/partition the target drive.

Then try to do this:
[youtube]v7pxmPVIB3E[/youtube]

You could erase the drag'n'drop system and the cubase instant daw compressed files (That is how we call the cubase stuff) after that, but I keep them in case I want to reinstall/ install on another mac.

[youtube]eVj-VKRZ4gw[/youtube]
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
Ok, I'm going to attempt to answer my own question.

I need to format a USB drive?

At this point i may just buy an old copy of OSX 10.3 so i can run Logic 7. 

Or, i wish i could find a copy of Logic 4 or Cubase VST on EBay...

Not sure i can hack this  :-[
If you download it from a Mac (or a Win with MacDrive), format the USB drive as HFS+, but you could use a drive with FAT for transfering the files. Other thing to notice, the transfer rate that you will have will be bottlenecked by the OS9 USB 1.0 speed... I would write a DVD with all the files, because you will want to have this CUBASE install for all your OS9 machines. No matter if you have just 1 now. In the end you will find some more to play with.  ;)

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc in case you haven't any OSX disks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:04:13 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 11:55:23 AM »
Thanks, Gary.  That does help about burning the CD (didn't think of it). 

Now i'm dealing with another problem, my CD tray won't open or read any disks, or start up holding down "c"...

I feel like it happened after i started effing around with the hard drive, but am not sure.  Ugh

If the CD tray won't open, try my diskless method. You just need Mac OS X running to start!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4