Author Topic: Audiomedia III - Is sample-accurate sync possible?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Audiomedia III - Is sample-accurate sync possible?
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
  I have an Audiomedia III card sitting around doing nothing.  I also have a lot of synchronization gear at my disposal.  Documentation says that the Audiomedia III's S/PDIF input can be used for external clock.  What isn't clear is if this really allows internal clock and output to achieve full sample-accurate sync.  If the digital source and the Audiomedia system slave from a common master sync reference via MIDI/timecode/blackburst, is sample-accurate sync during record and playback possible?

As a side note, here is the extent of my synchronization hardware pool:

- Aardvark Aardsync with optional blackburst generator board installed.  (This is the studio house-sync source, with video blackburst, AES digital, and word sync/superclock outputs.)
- Digital Processing Systems DPS-275 Component TBC/Framestore.  (Could be used as a blackburst generator on it's own.  Can be connected as a TBC to a pro VTR with component BNC or 7-pin Y/C cables.  Can display color bar test pattern.)
- Digidesign USD (Univeral Slave Driver, will be used with my primary Pro Tools system once set up.)
- Digidesign VSD (Video Sync Driver, will be used with a secondary Pro Tools system once set up.)
- MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV (Used with my MOTU PCI-324 system.  USB link.)
- MOTU Digital Timepiece (Used with my MOTU PCI-324 system.  Proprietary MOTU serial link.)
- Alesis AI-1 Digital Sample Rate Converter.  (Can use in a pinch for devices that won't re-clock.  Can slave output clock to 48KHz external sync.)
- Alesis AI-2 Multipurpose A/V Synchronization Interface.  (Must be used with an ADAT machine, which I currently lack, to lock the transport and read back tape timecode during synchronized operations.)
- Opcode Studio 3 MIDI/SMPTE Mac serial interface. (Not currently in use.)
- JL Cooper SyncMaster MIDI Mac serial interface. (Built like a tank, so old that software came on an 800k floppy!  Remember Apple desk accessory files?  Not currently in use.)
- Sonic Solutions Clock Box (by Spectral) Digital Audio Synchronizer.  (Currently without power supply.)

All this may sound nuts for what is no-longer a commercial endeavor for me, however I am working towards re-integrating video and SMPTE into my setup because of my Post Audio background.  The idea of having any pair or group of systems running together in sample-accurate sync from timecode appeals to me from a flexibility standpoint.  I can use the strengths of each system together on a project without having to worry about file compatibility or stressing out one system for everything.  My main goal at this point is to do crazy experiments with electronic music and take advantage of as much 'vintage' gear as possible.  If the AMIII won't play ball then I'll just dedicate it to creating individual samples and instrument sounds that I will later move to another system with a 'healthier attitude'.