Author Topic: Mac OS 8.6 on machines that require OS 9.x  (Read 31469 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
Re: Mac OS 8.6 on machines that require OS 9.x
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 06:47:54 AM »
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4933414

well i was referring to using a radeon 7000 in a g3, but someone stated in that post that mac os 8.6 doesnt support the drivers for the radeon 9200.. because they were written for mac os 9.2.2 as far as i know... maybe the problem is specific to B+W g3 machines....?????

theres more than one version of the radeon 9200 pci..
maybe u can include an image of yours for those reading this thread? :)

it wasnt about video instability it was about 100% incompatibility, getting Error on boot up of extensions etc

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
  Well, my Radeon 7000 PCI seems to be working completely fine in this configuration.  Obviously the ATI installer for the final available drivers can't run in 8.6, but that's why I copied them from an existing 9.2.2 drive.  I didn't test anything beyond accelerated 2D though, but that's all I need.  In the end this card will likely go into a B&W G3 though I'm through testing the Sawtooth.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
  Well, my Radeon 7000 PCI seems to be working completely fine in this configuration.  Obviously the ATI installer for the final available drivers can't run in 8.6, but that's why I copied them from an existing 9.2.2 drive.  I didn't test anything beyond accelerated 2D though, but that's all I need.  In the end this card will likely go into a B&W G3 though I'm through testing the Sawtooth.

consider yourself lucky because i had nothing but problems like i said.... i tried exactly that and it did not help me at all.. it seemed to work for a bit. but then errors happened... i cant remember the exact specifics but i do remember that i gave up trying after spending a few days rebooting + rebooing

macStuff

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »
Yes... I have some software that runs optimally on 8.6, but I have found replacements... mostly network client related stuff... and I also like 8.6 with Cubase 3.5 :)

is that cd available anywhere?
Mac version of Cubase v3.5 ? i dont think i have a copy of that version.
does it only use serial num protection? or did they have a mac ADB dongle at that time?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »
Think we discussed this before, I have to search, but V3.x was floppy authorized and 4 moved to "Challenge" / "response" codes, 5 needs nothing, but our official toast image

macStuff

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »
whats up with this sonic solutions medianet thing macos plus?
what is it? what do u use it for?

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 03:57:09 PM »
whats up with this sonic solutions medianet thing macos plus?
what is it? what do u use it for?

It's a combination of a SCSI accelerator and network server/client device that was intended back-in-tha-day to be used for high performance audio/video, broadcast and publishing applications.  By high performance I mean 100Mbit at a time when most computers had 10Mbit ethernet.  It has a fibre optic interface as an option, plus a copper equivalent like cat5 but with FDDI protocol based on a token ring architecture.  While it could run as a stand-alone entity, its primary target was integrated as a vast performance and feature enhancement add-on to the Sonic Solutions DAW hardware as an 'evolved' version of the earlier SonicNet.

The problem I have with it is that there is an unresolved massive incompatibily between these cards and OS 9.  The Sonic Solutions DAW cards themselves work just fine under OS 9, but the capabilities and expandability of the system is dramatically reduced, including losing the ability to network multiple systems' audio disks.  When the Medianet extension loads the computer slows to a crawl for some reason.  It also no longer shows up as an available port in the AppleTalk selector, which is a necessity to function.

I have a lot of this hardware and extensive sound libraries in the Sonic-native file/partion format.  My goal was to expand my host computer options and compatibility with other software/hardware by making Medianet work with OS 9.  Some of the Sonic DAW processing features are CPU- bound, so later hardware could also significantly speed up some routine functions.

macStuff

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
do u have any logos? brochures? old www urls? i can look at for further info on this mediaNet?

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
do u have any logos? brochures? old www urls? i can look at for further info on this mediaNet?

I will likely have to directly send you some material.  This product was already considered obsolete before common use of the web archive.  (Consider that its heyday was in the Nubus era.)  I'll see what I can arrange.  I have an original printed manual for it that I could scan and send you.

macStuff

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
iphone pics would be good enough for a quick glimpse + finding enough info to find more online about it
im just curious
because i think i remember hearing guys i worked at an ad agency with talking about it back when osx was brand new (2000)

Offline trag

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 02:05:19 PM »
  Well, my Radeon 7000 PCI seems to be working completely fine in this configuration.  Obviously the ATI installer for the final available drivers can't run in 8.6, but that's why I copied them from an existing 9.2.2 drive.

consider yourself lucky because i had nothing but problems like i said.... i tried exactly that and it did not help me at all.. it seemed to work for a bit. but then errors happened... i cant remember the exact specifics but i do remember that i gave up trying after spending a few days rebooting + rebooing

I tested the R7000 rather extensively with OS9 extensions back in the early 00's.   IIRC, I found that there was a compatibility problem with some version of QuickTime and the ATI drivers.   But with careful extensions management, it works fine.

Offline autologic

• Valued Member
  • pro tools is my day job
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
  BTW, If anyone ever sees Sonic Solutions Medianet cards come up for sale on eBay, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  I am still in the market for more of them, especially PCI ones.  They are extremely rare to find these days.

Hi,

Not overly familiar with this ancient stuff but here's a mondo ebay of what I think you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/sonic-solutions-tons-of-hardware-software-DVD-Creator-HD-Audio/273104471473?hash=item3f964b85b1:g:jlwAAOSwFFtapFRz

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 01:34:39 AM »
That auction is local pickup only, but I am only a train-ride away from NYC. So if anybody is interested, feel free to hit me up. It's a project, but doable.

Offline autologic

• Valued Member
  • pro tools is my day job
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:39 AM »
That auction is local pickup only, but I am only a train-ride away from NYC. So if anybody is interested, feel free to hit me up. It's a project, but doable.

Ah good catch. Likewise, I am happy to pick this up for any members, PM me.