Author Topic: File types & stripped info  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
File types & stripped info
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »
I had a bunch of files on my OS9 machine and they worked fine, but I transferred them over FTP to a Windows server and the file types were stripped unfortunately. I read that File Buddy can fix it but I tried and didn't have any success. I remember DH saying to either put it into either a .sit or a .bin file for that reason...

Is there something else I could try to salvage these files?

Online GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: File types & stripped info
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »
It's not lust the files types were stripped, it's that the resource forks have become separated from the data forks. How big a bunch? I recall there being (supposedly) a very painful, difficult, time-consuming way to fix such things provided you can sort out all of the pieces. Never tried it myself.

I think you should just start over with the originals (which you certainly still haveā€¦?)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
It was a bunch, but a few in particular I really need. The next time I decide to store something on an FTP I'll make sure to make a .bin file out of it.

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »
By file type do you mean the file extention? Have you tried putting the extension back onto the file in Windows? For example .sit or whatever it was to begin with.

"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon