Author Topic: Downloading files with IE vs Classilla  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Downloading files with IE vs Classilla
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
Due to recent problems with downloading attached files here from 2 posts with classilla i had to get another copy of the ak.sys program again.
I´ll reattach it just in case anyone is having the same problem.

I take note that IE opens .sit and .hqx (maybe more) compressed files and expand them, while Classilla cant tell what kind of file has downloaded, and also never take you to stuffit to expand them. But Classilla downloads faster than IE.

If you tell classilla to open the file after downloading, it sends it to finder to "open" and finder "can't get an app to open it" and you can go to take a coffee, because the machine will be halted until you change to finder app and close that error message (that still say that doesn't know how to open it) for an unknow/barely regular amount of time.

If the file to download is small, I use classilla, but I never tell classilla to open it after download.

You just need to drop the downloaded file over stuffit app and it will open (expand it) flawless.

I think we need to rebuild desktop to make classilla aware of the stuffit files. (?)

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Downloading files with IE vs Classilla
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
Isn´t it that you have to specify an "Helper Application" in Classilla? I never tried it as I don´t like those automatically unstuffings, but I think it should be possible without problems.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »
Any problem with downloading it with classilla ?
I just got an error 3 message as i wanted to open the application.

I have to confess that I use 95% Mac OS X to download stuff from here. For me is faster to boot OS 9 later.

And in that 5% I download in OS9 I have tried IE and Classilla . IE expand .bin/.hqx/.sit automatically. But is SLOOOOOOOW downloading vs Classilla. It is less time consuming to download with Classilla and expand them later. IMHO.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »
... while Classilla cant tell what kind of file has downloaded, and also never take you to stuffit to expand them.
I think we need to rebuild desktop to make classilla aware of the stuffit files. (?)

It's a well known bug that Classilla will fail when dealing with mime types.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.