Author Topic: USD sync problems playback speed sessions 5.1.3 protools  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
USD sync problems playback speed sessions 5.1.3 protools
« on: December 28, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »
I had my system apart earlier to try and install a card, and when I connected the cables back up, I must have had the serial connection in the wrong port.
It said something like it could not talk to the USD, so I tried to move the connection, then I shut down protools and ever since then, everything seems to play back slow
like I have the session at 48 and the system at 44.1, I looked everywhere for a setting that got changed, I have 2 888 and the USD clock, I have googled and fiddled
all day with no luck, where is the setting stored how do I set it back?
protools 5.1.3 and macos 9.2  :(

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: USD sync problems playback speed sessions 5.1.3 protools
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »
Maybe you could describe your set/ how it's hooked up and what you're using the USD for? Do you have the 'super clock' out of the USD going to the 888 interfaces?

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
I have the mac style serial cable connected to the USD from the first I/O card and the super clock BNC cables going to the 888's daisy chain
what may have caused this is the serial cable was on the wrong card, when I brought up protools and somehow it may have lost sync

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »
Just curious, what do you need the USD for?

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:36:05 AM »
Thats the way I bought this system I assume its working like a word clock.
I assume it makes things sound better?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:37:20 PM »
The USD sync is only necessary if you have other hardware to incorporate into your rig. Tape machines, for example. The SMPTE slave driver was the precursor to the USD and people mainly used it to lock up tape machines and VHS machines, etc.

I can't see why there would be a problem with slow speeds. As long as you have both your USD and PT set to the same sample rate it should work. It doesn't seem like it's necessary in your case though.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:52:27 PM »
By the way, for USD setup, you have to connect it to an actual serial port, not the DigiSerial port. Once it's set up, then you can use it normally via the DigiSerial port on the Mix card in the lowest slot.

You probably just have a sample rate mismatch. The USD must be set as the master and you have to run super clock out to your first 888. Go into PT's sync area and select the USD. Make sure all of the sample rates/frame rates are matching on the USD and in PT.

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
I guess that was my struggle, I looked everywhere in protools for settings related
to the SYNC, I see an option maybe when creating a new session and you can change the speed of the 888, but I could not find any reference to the USD or some central clock..

Sorry a bit of a protools novice

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
Well, that's why we're all here…right?

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 03:25:44 AM »
I'm new to this stuff as well, But I believe word clock is used for syncing sample rates between interfaces and the computer. The USD should reduce jitter.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 03:32:07 AM »
Like syntho said make sure you got a native MAC port. They sell PCI cards with mac ports on them if your computer lacks a onboard MAC port I suggest finding a card on ebay.
Go to the digidesign folder on your HDD and find a  program that says USD setup. From there you can change everything. Other than that make sure your sample rate is the same on protools as it is on the USD.  Oh by the way when using super word clock you need to use really short BNC cables. I've been told that super word loses signal easily over long cables.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Steveoinpa

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 04:56:43 PM »
 ;D ;D I fixed it, seems like there was a setting in the "sync section something about mmc a checkbox, also the front of the USD
I had been messing with the switch, I set it back to "digital" and the session started playing back at the right speed...
Maybe when I fired up protools with the serial ports on the wrong card it changed something on the USD.. I dunno but its working now..!!
Thanks Guys and Happy New Year   :) :)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 11:09:43 PM »
Glad you got it sorted! ;D