Author Topic: New member intro and a plea for some help.  (Read 5683 times)

Offline jimsos9

• Newcomer
  • New
    • Arriving soon
New member intro and a plea for some help.
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
I feel quite rude for asking for help on my 1st post, so hopefully bit of an introduction first will make my plea a little more tolerable.

My name is James, I am bit of a Mac geek / collector. I know little in terms of software / coding / in depth computer workings, but I get a lot of satisfaction from repairing old Macs and restoring them to their former glory and knowing that I have them nicely boxed aware in storage (with no leaky corrosive PRAM batteries left in them). My favourite era tends to be the early PPC systems despite yellowed and bleached plastics being so horrible to restore. I tell my girlfriend that one day they maybe worth some money knowing full well they wont, but it keeps her off my back! She does however think my TAM sounds good playing music, so I'm actually allowed it to be setup in the house!

Macintosh Garden has been a firm browsing favourite and I know many of you will be contributing over there, so a big thank you. What a resource! The reason I have ended up on this site because Ive taken on a G4 1ghz Powerbook Titanium as I wanted something small and quick with pretty good connectivity to run OS9.2.2 on (I do have a MDD running purely 9.2.2 but getting that out and setup each time just gets a little annoying). So I want to restore the PBTi back to a 9.2.2 / 10.3 setup, but of course the original restore DVD is pretty much impossible to fine, but someone on Macintosh Garden kindly directed me over to this site to get the OS9.2.2 PBTi 1.0ghz image.

This is where hopefully someone can help me out... I downloaded the .bin, extracted with archive utility, then used toast to turn the image into a bootable CD. The CD boots fine and I used drive setup / disk utility to format the HDD how I wanted, but when I go to install OS9 from the CD, it gives me an error saying it is not suitable for the system. I've searched the forums and I see some people have had no issues at all with it and a few like me have had this issue, so I was hoping if someone could shed some light on the issue. This is the only place I have been able to get the PBTi 1.0ghz restore image so I really want to get it to work with my PBTi and if at all possible avoid using the drop and drag target mode method. Is there something obvious I am not thinking about or does the image not work on all PBTi 1.0ghz identifiers?

Your help would be appreciated.

James

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: New member intro and a plea for some help.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline jimsos9

• Newcomer
  • New
    • Arriving soon
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
Take a look on http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?board=62.0
Your link takes me to the images? - I know where they are - I've used it. More of a clue would be useful if you know what problem i am experiencing.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 01:42:01 AM »
Which image file did you use to burn the CD? You'll probably need to use this: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

I use the "os9general.dmg" found on Macintosh Garden on my 1ghz TiBook and it works great, you just need OSX in order to install it.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
He is talking about installing a virgin os9 from a cd but a restore is not installing. I think the ti books cant install from a cd. He would need the restore cds to get os9 on that machine and the image is os9general.

Offline jimsos9

• Newcomer
  • New
    • Arriving soon
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I used the Titanium 1.0ghz Powerbook image. I'd hoped to do a a pure OS9 install without the need for OSX, but I will just add a small OSX partition and use the Universal image if that works (but I was lead to believe even the ''Universal'' install lacked some PBTi components) - maybe I just imagine reading that somewhere?

No idea why the Titanium 1.0ghz image didnt work; would still be interested in using the image for a simple single OS9 partition on it if someone knows what I am doing wrong, but I will just use a work around for now.

Have really enjoyed browsing the forum. Hoep to contribute with some rare OS9 SW soon.

James

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
Yes use the "drag install" here
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1859.0

It has all the latest drives and will work with ALL Ti (any speed)

Boot the TI in Target mode (hold T)... this will turn it into an extermal HD, connect to your Tower Via FW and drag all the files to the TI Volume... then reboot to your TI hard drive... done in about 4 minutes :)

Offline jimsos9

• Newcomer
  • New
    • Arriving soon
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
Thanks...

I used the Universal drag and drop - all fine. Easy work around. I wanted a boot CD to go with it, but it wasnt necessary. Nice to have OS9 on a fast portable rather than setting up my MDD each time.

So appreciative of peoples efforts to keep all this old software available.

James

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 10:59:33 PM »
Topic moved to be easier to find since the thread is more about OS install problems than introduction :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today