Author Topic: MOGG Files for Solo or Duo Artists....  (Read 8610 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
MOGG Files for Solo or Duo Artists....
« on: December 18, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
I am searching to extend my MOGG library, and I would love if you guys could PM me if you have MOGG files that you want to trade.

OK, So you may or may (or may not) know what the hell a MOGG file is...  And they are definitely the "best friend" of a Solo or Duo that is working at small clubs, coffee shops, or anywhere else.  I have been successfully re-mixing these "Mogg" files for a while and it is a tremendous help for musicians who can't stand "live" Karaoke players that simply play a Karaoke track and while playing mostly "air guitar" or  "air keyboards"  Seriously, if your hired to play "live" then at least make an attempt... anyway here is some background from the WEB...
Extracting the Stems from an .mogg file for use in a DAW.

I have been pointed to an enormous caché of .mogg files of classic tunes. What is that? Why should I care?

Well, the short of it is that an .mogg file of, let’s say, King of Rock by Run DMC has all the original stem recordings ( multi tracked recordings ) encased inside it. Like a tasty little Cadbury Egg filled with pristine recordings of classic music!

This tutorial is going to walk you through getting to that creamy filling. I know that Ableton supports .ogg files, but unfortunately doesn’t support these .mogg files. Which I believe is the case for music professional DAWs, but I could be mistaken. Luckily for us, however, the free audio platform Audacity does. Go download & install Audacity so we can get started.
What you need:

Run DMC mogg file via torrent or any other MOGG File
    Audacity Audio Software
    uTorrent (if you don’t have it)

Once you have downloaded that file, installed and opened Audacity we can begin.

Open the mogg file. It will take a second to extract all the stems. Now you can do a few things now or later in your DAW. If you want to label everything that might be useful. Also, some tracks, excluding bass and kicks usually, there are going to be what looks like doubles. Those are not doubles. They are left and right mono recordings that are centered at the moment. You need to pan one full left and one full right in order to get the actual intended audio.

After you have done that go to “export all” in the file menu. You can now export each stem individually as a new format. I use WAV, but you can use whatever you like!

Now there are 3 awesome uses that brings to mind...

1) A tool to learn mixing for beginners
2) Checking our your favorite artists original Vocal or guitar track like your the engineer :)
3) I like using these Mogg's to create custom mixes that can be used live for a solo or duo cover band act...

Steps (quick version)
1) simple load the Mogg into "free" Audacity found here http://audacityteam.org/
2) Export "Multi", this creates WAV files (1 per track)
3) load in the DAW and Mix

So cool things...
1) In the DAW you can use the original drum tracks and "re-trigger" MIDI drums that sound cleaner if you need a little better fidelity since the MOGGs tracks do not sound as good as 16bit 44k (but they sound better than MP3)
2) Mix your favorite artist doing some backup vocals... but don't go crazy, remember the whole purpose is to end up with a custom background track... not an exact replication; also, don't be a pussy, if you play guitar then learn the parts and mute the original tracks in your mix, same with keys or bass, sparse sounding tracks that are "well mixed" sound better live (and more realistic) then hearing 16 synths play and a horns section solo while you strum 1 chord.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: MOGG Files for Solo or Duo Artists....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
So, while the MOGG files are great for creating backing tracks, they often lack the quality of the original audio resolution and depth... so unfortunately, I still do many backing tracks by hand, which takes a while, but produces great sonic results. Another option, I use in a jam for friends that need me to "whip-up" a quick track is:
http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/

So, here you can mute tracks and change volumes for quick web browser mixes after you buy a song... pretty cool, but the real power of this site is to:
1) buy a song
2) Solo one track / instrument at a time and download it with the intro click (you have unlimited downloads of a song after you buy it)
3) Now set the tempo in your DAW (which they give you)
4) Import each individual tracks into your DAW, add new tracks, edit existing, tracks and mix all nite !

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »
I have a lot of songs from there, specially Hits
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »
most of the older songs floating around were made from 4-track or 6-track stuff from karaoke systems adressed to children, and not the actual protools stems from the artist.

but there are other types of multitrack recordings, too, such as you can find from university projects or for electronic music.

funny thing is that the idea of sharing music in a more than 1 or 2 tracks format is some 25 years old, but the bonobos from native instruments sales still think they have invented that revolutionary "stems" thing in 2016 :D
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
I think we could embrace multiple mp3 and OMF as "universal" multitracks, now that we all have broadband.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4