Author Topic: Wanted: Basic Mac OS 9-era Pro Tools HD System for CHEAP (ish)!  (Read 5652 times)

Offline cc333

• Valued Member
Wanted: Basic Mac OS 9-era Pro Tools HD System for CHEAP (ish)!
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »
Hi,

Now that I've become fairly accustomed to modern Pro Tools (and many of its idiosyncrasies), I'd like to explore older versions, like whatever versions run on OS 9 (or PPC versions of OS X), but that requires special hardware.

That being said, I just want the most barebones setup possible (something like 8 ins and outs good enough?) so as to keep costs somewhat low, as I don't have the world's hugest budget.

I have many Macs with which to use it, so unless whatever I end up getting requires a specific model that I don't have, I should be set in that area. All I require is any relevant PCI/PCI-X cards and their related breakout boxes (if needed). Something in the US is strongly preferred, because that's where I am presently located.

I can't really name a price, as I have no frame of reference, nor do I know what any of this stuff is worth, so I guess just send me some offers and we'll go from there? I suppose something under $100 would be best, but I can be somewhat flexible if necessary.

Thanks!

c

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Wanted: Basic Mac OS 9-era Pro Tools HD System for CHEAP (ish)!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:26 PM »
 The most basic would be PT Free/OS9 that's here on the site... That would get you up and running without external hardware. 

Next step up from that would be a Digi 001 box running PTLE... That would give you an interface, i/o, midi and 32 tracks with lots of plugins available. They go pretty cheap on eBay.

If you want to eventually do any serious mixing, you'll want to get a TDM rig... There's a bit more involved for that. Check out this post to get an idea.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=435.0

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:36:04 AM »
The DIGI 001 sounds perfect for what you want. You will need the interface and the card. Ebay is very cheap for these. Pro tools LE 5.0 is excellent on OS9 with a g4. Around $200 will get you a working setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protools-Digi001-MX001-w-PCI-Card-Cable-e ProTools-LE-5-1-Software-w-Serial-/201366168909?hash=item2ee25be54d:g:pD4AAOSwrklVbJGh

"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline cc333

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:05:09 AM »
mrhappy: Very good. I already downloaded that with the intention of getting familiar with Pro Tools under OS 9, but I do eventually want something more powerful. RTAS should be OK, but maybe TDM is better?

custos: That looks like it'd be just the thing to get me started. I will start saving up for that! Are there any important differences between Pro Tools and Pro Tools LE that I should be aware of? I likely won't need much in the way of I/O.

c

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
Le is limited to 32 tracks I believe. As long as you got a decent computer it should hold up pretty well. Tdm uses the core and farm cards dsp chips for the processing power. Le uses the computers hardware. If you use a ton of plugins tdm is the way to go. Tdm setups are a hassle because there is so many different configurations and parts. In the long run tdm is worth it but for now I would use LE.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Get a pro tools 5.0 reference guide book. It will help you out big time. It mentions both tdm and LE all the way through. Its so much better than trying to use the pdf   
version.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
I still have and use a 001 system... I mainly used it to track and edit stuff to transport between a bigger system at a studio. Mostly it was guitar/bass/vocal overdubs but on occasion it would get pretty involved with violins/cellos/flute/sax, etc. and it held up well and worked GRREAT for that kinda thing! Unless you need to do larger full blown mixing with many plugs, it could be all that you need! Plenty of I/O, etc.  When you get a system just make sure it has the PCI card and cable along with the interface... could be a pain to track that stuff down. The  software and a variety of plugs are available here on the site. ;D

I recently put together a more involved TDM rig and that has been a lot of fun too!

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »
I can't agree more. My 001 was so easy to get up and running. Never gives me any problems. Soon as I hooked it up I finished a track. I mostly do vocal dubs on my 001. Still working on piecing my TDM together. Tracking down cards and cords for TDM is not always easy.

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 06:51:57 PM »
mrhappy: Very good. I already downloaded that with the intention of getting familiar with Pro Tools under OS 9, but I do eventually want something more powerful. RTAS should be OK, but maybe TDM is better?

custos: That looks like it'd be just the thing to get me started. I will start saving up for that! Are there any important differences between Pro Tools and Pro Tools LE that I should be aware of? I likely won't need much in the way of I/O.

c

Some good info for you, cc333.
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/Getting_Started_Mix_5.3.1.pdf

Offline cc333

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:25:11 AM »
Thank you!

c