Author Topic: Beige G3 Awesomeness  (Read 3944 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Beige G3 Awesomeness
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »
Okay maybe the Beige G3 isn't so awesome, but on of my main machines to goof around with is a beige g3 desktop. Originally started as 233 MHZ 32mb model.  When I got a 1ghz g3 for my B&W I took the B&W 450mhz and put it in the beige g3.
I also have a PCI usb card, PCI Firewire card, the AV Personality card and a PCI ATI Graphics card with 32mb of ram.
Well the reason for the topic of this post is that I put the 450 mhz in a while ago and never changed the jumper block so it ran at 233mhz still.  I finally got around to changing the jumpers and have it set to 457 mhz and the system bus is at 83 mhz.  It's still not as fast as newer systems, but that change alone was noticeably faster.
Sorry if this is old news to any one, but it still amazes me how useful some of these old systems are.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline eblislyge

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Beige G3 Awesomeness
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 05:47:25 AM »
So you would not recommend buying one?

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:09:47 AM »
Me personally? I would recommend them if they are cheap.  I don't know that I would use it for anything serious, but I think they are pretty cool.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:58 AM »
Yes, the G3s are nice machines! I have one that was a 233 Mhz DT as well. I could jumper it to stable 292 Mhz at 83 MHz system bus, with the onboard CPU!
Later with an G4/1Ghz a ATI 9200/128MB and an SSD a still good usable machine. Sadly the PSU broke down some day. I still like to replace it in future.