Author Topic: G4 400 and ide to sata interface  (Read 3838 times)

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
G4 400 and ide to sata interface
« on: December 05, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
I have a g4 400 with 1,5 gb of ram and osx 10.4.11 installed.in the osx disk utility i see my transcend 128 gb ssd,formatted into osx extended with os9 drivers,restored os9 dmg,and...the g4 not boot on the os9 disk,after restart.if i push the reset button on the motherboard it boot but freeze with a big pointer and some strange graphic artifact.anyone have experience with that issue?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: G4 400 and ide to sata interface
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
Here's a thought…
I'm guessing that you installed 10.4.11 and then restored an OS9 image to the same volume. It's sounds like that's what you've done. If so… that won't work.
When you boot OSX, does it have "Classic" available to run?
If so, then your OSX now sees the OS9 image as a helper to run "Classic" and OS9 is not bootable as a separate and independent OS.
You MUST partition your ssd using OSX Disk Utility and create a separate volume for OS9, then restore the OS9 image there.
Then you can choose OS9 as a startup disk - either by choosing it in OSX in the prefs or by holding the alt/option key at boot to get a choice of which one you want to boot from.

Is my guess correct? If so, do the above and holler back. If not, and you have two separate volumes, holler back and we'll try again.

An afterthought…
I seem to recall (and I could be wrong) that this was not supposed to be necessary according to Apple, but that it turned out to be the only reliable way of running a dual-boot Mac with 10.4 or 10.5 and OS9.

NOTE: you should also do this:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2830.msg18311#msg18311

after you complete the above. Skip the part about Time Machine since you don't have it.

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »
I have one 80gb for the 10.4 and the ssd for os9.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:16:47 AM »
OK… Now I need more info, step by step

You're in OSX.
You choose "Startup Disk" in prefs.
You see OS9 on the SSD as a selection.
You select it, then restart.

Exactly what happens next?

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
Problem solved...i have removed the ssd and put in a normal 20gb hd;installed os9 from a cd and finally works fine.I think that the problem is the os9 dmg that i have restored,is not fully compatible with the g4 400;next week i will retry to install it from the cd to the ssd.Another quicksilver with pci to sata and sonnet g4 1,8 ghz is coming and i will try on this beast the ssd installation.