Author Topic: Looking for Dual Pane File Manager, Image Browser  (Read 5252 times)

Offline mac57

• Newcomer
Looking for Dual Pane File Manager, Image Browser
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
I have three ongoing frustrations with OS 9 (Mac OS Classic in general, I suspect) and I wonder if you might be able to help:

Double clicking a folder in Finder opens a new window instead of opening the new folder in the same window. Is there any way to overcome this?

I can't seem to find a dual pane file manager anywhere in the wealth of abandonware out there. A dual pane file manager is simply one window with a left and right pane, each of which can display a separate folder. It supports simple drag n drop file copies, moves and so on. Is there anything out there like that for Mac OS Classic?

I continue to struggle to find a simple, lightweight image browser, something like Xee or JustLooking for Mac OS X, where you can double click on any image in a folder of images, have the image displayed, and then simply press the left or right arrow (or PgUp, PgDn) to view the next image or the last image. Does anyone know of something like this for Mac OS Classic?

Thanks!
PowerMac G4 Cube, 1.5 MB RAM, GeForce2 MX, OS 9.2.1

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Looking for Dual Pane File Manager, Image Browser
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
Double clicking a folder in Finder opens a new window instead of opening the new folder in the same window. Is there any way to overcome this?
Well for me that is a very important and cool feature in Mac OSs 9. But if you do not like it, just hold "ALT" down when clicking at a folder, and the containing folder will be closed. You can even use Coela or Gregs browser if you like.

I can't seem to find a dual pane file manager
Well there are some, but my older G3 is out of order, and I cannot remember the names. You can for example use the free Transmit FTP program and get the same functionality if you open two windows.

I continue to struggle to find a simple, lightweight image browser,
There are some as well. What I recall immediatly is iView media, or AC/DC

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Looking for Dual Pane File Manager, Image Browser
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
Mat was on the right track...

I believe he meant ACDsee

http://download.cnet.com/ACDSee/3000-2192_4-6407562.html

It is an excellent simple image browser

Offline Mat