Author Topic: WANTED: experimental music software  (Read 8765 times)

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
WANTED: experimental music software
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »
Hello!  I am trying to archive and experiment with some computer music software for System 7.x:

Marcohack by Marco Pranger (probably Version 1.02?)
MSP by Cycling '74 (the first version circa 1997 I believe?)
SonicWorx Artist (earlier than the 2.5 freeware OS8 version, possibly 1.0.2?)
MacPod 1.X by Rolfe and Keller  (1.1 or 1.2 if it even runs on System 7)

I would also be VERY grateful for any links to other experimental music software for System 7.X - thank you!

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
Re: WANTED: experimental music software
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
Just wanted to update this:

I was able to obtain MacPod 1.4 by contacting the original author: http://thirdmonk.com/Contact.html  It runs great under 7.6.1 on a PPC, have not tried on a 68k yet. 

I was also able to obtain an earlier copy of SonicWorx Artist, it is freeware now, so I can post a link if anyone is interested.

A kind forum member supplied me with MSP2, however it will not run on systems older than 8.  The documentation is very interesting, however I am still looking for the first version of MSP if it is out there anywhere!  I can run MAX 3.5.1 on a PPC with System 7.6.1

Other software I am looking for:

"Music Lines" by Brengt-Arner Molin (current CEO of Sony Mobile) written in the early 90s at Malmo College of Music

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
another experimental music software package i would like to find is "jam factory" by intelligent music.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
if you´re into languages, CSound, CommonLisp, SymbolicComposer should exist for OS7, not sure about SuperCollider.

lemur and soundhack should work too, at least on PPC.

marcohack is one of my favorites.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
SuperCollider is great but i think OS9 is the earliest version out there?  SymbolicComposer seems pretty neat and I see version 4.5 for OS9 and OSX on the Internet Archive, but can't find the earlier 68K and PPC versions.  I'll keep looking! 

Jam Factory was an early effort by David Zicarelli along with "M" before he took over Max and started Cycling '74.  I think it does MIDI improv, but I can only find references from the 80s, no archives

I'd also like to find Cellular Automata Explorer version 2.0 as shown on Peter Beyls website:

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »
jam factory is from 1984, it might not even run on OS7. :)

i´ve always (since my first PPC) command-deleted everything which is 68k only, so i dont have it. but i have heard about that CA explorer i think.
you might find more modern versions of this type of application for max/sc/reaktor/python/java... or even html, and eventually also on wolframalpha.com.

my attempts to write my own (16 different rules per cell, up to 256 states per cell, 2-D continual map) always ended in the insight that this is a bit too much an assiduity work.

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »
adding a few more software packages to the list of stuff im looking for:

two chaos music programs by Jae Ho Chang called "Logistic Synth" and "Bifurcation Oscillator"

also looking for "Cubic Oscillator Explorer" by Bruno Degazio

i've also seen a mention on the hypertextbook of chaos to a program called "ChaoticPianola" by The Boltzmann Toy Factory (Lars Rosenberg) circa 1998 - but can find no other mentions

all links and mentions i can find of the above programs lead to dead-ends (long gone academic sites, "archives" that got the plug pulled, etc).  i have not yet attempted to contact the authors, i think Degazio teaches at Sheridan in Canada.  Jae Ho Chang was active in the SuperCollider forums about 15 years ago and wrote a paper called "Composing Noise" in 1999, but I cannot find current contact info. 

Offline megrimm

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:09:50 AM »
hello

have you found any of this software? I just picked up a Macintosh SE and have been looking at old experimental softwares. I am actually surprised not to find an archive of software that i have been reading about in academic papers. I think there should be some kind of collection.

So I am also interested in:

max v1 / v2 (i have not found anything below v3)
jam factory
m
csound v1 / v2 / v3 (i have not found anything below v4)

we should also throw Music Mouse by Laurie Spiegel on the list.

Cellular Automata Explorer looks cool!

I found "Bifurcation Oscillator" here: http://ckw.phys.ncku.edu.tw/public/pub/Notes/NonlinearPhysics/Web/Chaos/ChaosHypertext/hypertextbook.com/chaos/92b.html

let us know if you find anything else on your list!

thanks!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
yeah, the pianola is also there

Offline Ericwredmond

• Newcomer
  • MIDI Wizard
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
Hey Systemseven, I'll take a link to the SonicWorx Artist freeware!! Just purchased a G3 that has 9.2.2 & 10.4.11 duel boot.

Also, throwing it out their since I'm highly interested in this kind of software as well.... Be happy to host a website or a dropbox folder with everything. Be great to keep an active archive.

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
the whole SonicWorx line is at the Macintosh Garden, but I'd rather stick with the Pro Version, it's got more algorithms. Very cool step by Prosonic to release it as freeware  8)

Offline WhiteWarlock

• Enthusiast Member
  • SynthWizards/N01ZE
    • SynthWizards
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
http://www.n01ze.com/synthwizards/ARKIVE/MAX_MSP_STUFF.sit
there are some MAX/MSP applications that do what you are seeking in that archive
from this thread http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1805.msg31636.html#msg31636

Offline Ericwredmond

• Newcomer
  • MIDI Wizard
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
Awesome, thanks Warlock! Excited to try these out.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 04:00:13 AM »
I will be sorting and uploading a lot of this stuff over the next week. It's been only about a week since I have been back on OS9, but meanwhile I now have some serious family/household upheaval so I can't commit to any certain timetable.

Quote from: megrimm
I am actually surprised not to find an archive of software that i have been reading about in academic papers. I think there should be some kind of collection.

Definitely, I agree! With most music sites, it tends to be the linear, tape-studio-style stuff like Cubase and Protools that gets curated, but those kinds of things bore me to tears. I would rather find something like Cellular Automata Explorer anyday!

Quote from: megrimm
max v1 / v2 (i have not found anything below v3)
jam factory
m

I have M, Jam Factory, and Max 2.5b which I also ran on an SE. But they are on key-disk floppies, and I don't know how to properly archive them. It's been about two years since I have had time/peace to play with my SE, so I don't even know if it or the floppies are even in working condition now, but I am guessing that they are. These are probably going to take me a couple of weeks to even physically get to.

Can anybody recommend known ways to copy the floppies with their authorizations intact?

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:07:30 PM »
fantastic stuff Metrophage!  some of this has disappeared from the net!  ill be adding screenshots and mirroring to macintoshgarden and archive.org as i test these out.  thanks for sharing!

macStuff

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »
great!  8)
this thread reminds me of some of my own efforts on my site www.oldschooldaw.com
with ancient ibm/pc warez from the 1980s on old PC/AT hardware,
i have a 386 DX40Mhz + a 486 DX2 80Mhz that i use with old mpu-401 interfaces
and some ancient DOS based software! im still trying to hunt down a few DOS based software
that seems to be impossible to find, ill probably have to track down the original 5.25" floppy disks

anyway bravo to your efforts
because yes i believe this type of stuff is historically significant then we realize
and years from now in the future, theere will be people interested in looking back on this you can be sure