Author Topic: Opcode Max documentation?  (Read 17549 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Opcode Max documentation?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »
Can someone explain to me what Max is?

macStuff

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
Can someone explain to me what Max is?

as far as i understand it its can be thought of as a "creative playground" programming environment for creating intelligent instruments that react to various input;
opcode referred to it as a "Multimedia Authoring Environment" and also as a "Object oriented programming environment for music and multimedia" http://web.archive.org/web/19961113040257/http://www.opcode.com:80/products/max/

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »
hey 110, can you imagine syntho kick ass on detonate? :)
djupsinnig

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »

it´s hard to kick ass on detonate, even if youre not syntho. :D

detonate is the most weird all-in-one object they ever made: it pretends to make things easy but it needs as much programming as any other random object. you even need to connect it to itself(!) to make it do something as simple as playing notes.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »
Cycling 74 has a download page with this information posted. And yes they have the OS9 version too (4.1).

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
Cycling 74 has a download page with this information posted. And yes they have the OS9 version too (4.1).

max had been around for 12 or 15 years by the time of 4.1 (which is a few centuries in computer music time) and passed from Ircam to Opcode to C74.  what i'm looking for is documentation for the earliest incarnations of max on mac (as well as stuff like the first version of MSP and nato) - mostly for archival purposes.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
who would have thought that... that v4 wasnt the first version. :)

regarding nato, that piece of artwork didnt really have "versions". it is one distribution and few later add-ons. and it requires OS9 and a PPC.

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »
regarding nato, that piece of artwork didnt really have "versions". it is one distribution and few later add-ons. and it requires OS9 and a PPC.

oh for sure, i was just throwing that out there as stuff im looking for (basically weird and early stuff that hasnt been archived yet).  i came into using a mac around the time the drama around nato was unfolding (at least i have dim memories of it) and have been unable to find it since then (probably wiped for legal reasons?)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:01 AM »
the OS9 version was for more than 2 years in the ircam shop... the bigger mystery is the OSX version.^^

highly inspiring back in the days, and made the max programming paradigm to what it is today, but unfortunately not very stable... jitter mostly killed 055 and also VNS.