Author Topic: OS9.2 installation disks  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
OS9.2 installation disks
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:20:52 AM »
Wanted, OS9.2 installation discs suitable to get my Mac OSX10.4 running in the Classic mode.
Price and postage please.
Deigh
I am recovering from a stroke, do not expect instant (or even intelligent) replies!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: OS9.2 installation disks
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
Its available for a very high price.

FREE    ;D

if the downloads here dont work there is a archive over at macintoshgarden.org

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
Wanted, OS9.2 installation discs suitable to get my Mac OSX10.4 running in the Classic mode.
Actually to get your rig running Classic, you don't need to follow all of the instructions shown with the link. You need only mount the image, open it, then drag the OS9 System Folder and Finder to your drive - preferably the top level (to the HDD icon) NOT the desktop. Your computer should then take care of the rest.

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »
preferably the top level (to the HDD icon) NOT the desktop.

Sorry, cant follow this, please explain further.

Having obeyed your instructions by dropping files onto Desktop HD icon a box comes up saying 'Classic needs to update files in "System folder" etc etc
If i approve of this another box comes up saying 'Classic was unable to update its files in "System Folder" and I am back to square one.
Deigh
I am recovering from a stroke, do not expect instant (or even intelligent) replies!

Online GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:08:29 AM »
OK, OUCH! That should simply work. The "Classic needs to update files in "System folder" is exactly right and is supposed to happen. The  'Classic was unable to update its files in "System Folder" message is Apple's extremely UNhelpful way of telling you there's something the system doesn't like about the file or files you moved over.

The first troubleshooting step is probably the following:

1. Double-click the HD icon to open it. In there should be the "System Folder" you just copied over. The window that opens should have a list pretty much like this one in: PICTURE 1. If it's not in list mode, get it there by clicking the icon as in: PICTURE 2.

2 If you have a 2 or 3-button mouse, right-click the "System Folder" icon and select "Get Info". With a single-button mouse, hold "control" on the keyboard and single-click the icon to get the menu and select "Get Info". You should then be looking at something very much like this: PICTURE 3

3. Click the little arrow at the bottom by "Ownership and Permissions" to open them. What you want to see is something like this: PICTURE 4 (You may have to also click open "details")

4. Just as in the picture, it should show you can "Read and Write" - if it says "Read Only", change it. You may have to click the little padlock open if it's locked. That will require your admin/owner/main computer password you put in when you installed Tiger.

The "Details" should show your name (not mine, obviously) as owner and "access" should also be "Read and Write".

5. Click "Apply to enclosed items" at the bottom.

6. Restart the computer. Hopefully, you'll get the update" message again and this time it will succeed. If it doesn't happen, do this:

Drag the "System Folder" to the trash - DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH!
Open the trash, take it back out, drag it back onto the HD icon again and cross your fingers.

This should take you less time to do than it's taken me to type it out. Hopefully, it will work - if not we'll have to try step "B" which probably involves reinstalling everything from scratch, so cross your fingers hard!

Good Luck
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:46:17 AM by GaryN »