Author Topic: classic help  (Read 8571 times)

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
classic help
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Is there anyone out there living near Waiuku who is prepared to come round to my place and help me?
I have purchased a mac OS X version 10.4.1 and got discs from Ebay to install OS version 10.4.8 which should make the computer Classic. Ive also got a update disc OS 9.2.1
None  of these discs are doing anything for me, the computer will not read them.
I am a silly old fart out of depth and am desperate to use my music programs like Encore and Band in a Box.
Deigh Davies
I am recovering from a stroke, do not expect instant (or even intelligent) replies!

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Re: classic help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
Wheres Waiuku - NZ?

Online GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:01:38 AM »
Yep, New Zealand. Welcome Deigh!

We'll try to lend you a hand. Let's start with you telling us more about your stuff:

What model Mac?
What OS are you running now?
What discs exactly did you get from ebay? They weren't grey were they?
Do you have decent internet? Maybe we can get an idea how deep you're in it with this info.
What do you mean "the computer won't read them"? What happens exactly when you try?

Worst case, you're not very far from Auckland… there's got to be someone there who can help if it comes to it.

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »
Thanks for reply. Had a moments panic and put that message on board. Panic has subsided now and I can think it out logically. Remembered that I had ordered (and paid for) another installation disc but it hasn't arrived yet and I can't find any trace of my order on Ebay.

Will pursue Ebay a bit and then wait a couple more days to see it anything else arrives in the post.

I have good internet connections and am using OSX10.4.1
Disks are grey and were OSX 10.4.8 installation discs. When I tried to load them the screen took on a different colour and had black overprinting giving instructions I couldn't understand.
Deigh
I am recovering from a stroke, do not expect instant (or even intelligent) replies!

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
Looks as though I failed to order the correct disk from E-bay.
I need an OS9.2 full installation disc instead of the upgrade disc I got.
Reading ads on E-bay is like being in a minefield, so many catchphrases!!! Can someone pick out a reasonable priced disk advert for me and I will do the rest.
Thanks a lot.
Deigh

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
Your mac model is very important here;
Is it a laptop or a desktop?
If it is a Desktop Mac G4 look at the back of the machine at the white sticker and take a photo of it or write the details down and put it on your next post so that we know what model your Mac is.

The previous post by GaryN has all the questions that need to be answered - read them carefully and answer them including the one above.

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
The sticker at the back of the machine has been removed.
Here is a snap of the screen showing info

Don't seem to be able to load pix!

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
That pix was not very readable......try this one;

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
So, you have an iMac G5.
Having spent a few years using PCs I am anxious to use my music programs like Encore and Band in a Box on Macs. Bought the latest Mac air and found they wouldn't support the Classic environment. Sent the computer back to suppliers and have purchased a Ibook G4  OSX 10.5.8  and a Macbook pro OSX 10.6.8. on trademe. To my horror these do not support the classic environment either.
What can I do to get them co-operating
Deigh

So 3rd machine in a row that can't boot 9.  ;D This one is PowerPC at least as the ibook. Both can run OS9 classic apps in "classic" mode when you drop an MacOS9 application folder and a System folder on your hard drive.
 Are you running Tiger? Go to the apple, click on about that mac and let us see what OS you are running. If you are on 10.3 or 10.4 you could run "classic mode" with this finally.
Wanted, OS9.2 installation discs suitable to get my Mac OSX10.4 running in the Classic mode.
Actually to get your rig running Classic, you don't need to follow all of the instructions shown with the link. You need only mount the image, open it, then drag the OS9 System Folder and Finder to your drive - preferably the top level (to the HDD icon) NOT the desktop. Your computer should then take care of the rest.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/band-in-a-box-70

Don't forget to check http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=965.0

Soon DieHard will fix Passport Encore 4.1.2 for Mac Os 9
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »

I have good internet connections and am using OSX10.4.1

If you are in 10.4.1 check for the combo update to 10.4.11.

It is free download from apple https://support.apple.com/kb/DL170?locale=es_ES

Sorry, for me the link is in spanish. Just google 10.4.11 combo update PPC

Once you have tiger, I see no reason for keep 10.4.1 instead the latest 10.4.11
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 02:28:41 PM »
Couldnt make sense of the Spanish, will look elsewhere for the 10.4.11
TA

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
Thanks for that but it will not download. I am using Safari and cant find out how to upgrade it.
Tried to download Google chrome but that will not work on this computer. Seem to get frustrated every way i turn!
What would you suggest?
Deigh

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »
Please ignore the last message. Dunno what happened but 10.4.11 is now on my computer!
Now only need to find and download OS9.2.1 and with a bit of luckI can use classic .
Thanks
Deigh

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
you need 9.2.2 to be precise

http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/os9general.dmg

get this image and mount it on your desktop. drag the contents to a hard drive on you computer and start classic. if it doesnt find the system folder you can point it to one.

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
Thanks, have used up all my month's data so will have to wait.!

Deigh

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 04:35:44 AM »
Thanks for that but it will not download. I am using Safari and cant find out how to upgrade it.
Tried to download Google chrome but that will not work on this computer. Seem to get frustrated every way i turn!
What would you suggest?

For Tiger the best browser is TenFourFox http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Deigh

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
Thanks for that, will have a look sometime, have exhausted my data credit downloading stuff so it will have to wait till next week!

As soon as the computer showed it had been upgraded to 10.4.11 Classic started to work! I have now got my music progs working and most problems have been solved.
Thanks everyone for all the advice thrown my way I could not have solved it on my own.
Deigh :)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
Thanks for that, will have a look sometime, have exhausted my data credit downloading stuff so it will have to wait till next week!

As soon as the computer showed it had been upgraded to 10.4.11 Classic started to work! I have now got my music progs working and most problems have been solved.
Thanks everyone for all the advice thrown my way I could not have solved it on my own.
Deigh :)

i assume you had it set to automatic updates without knowing it. Well your probs a solved for now. Have fun experimenting.