Author Topic: Power Mac G4 Quicksilver Power Supply dust removal  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Alex

• new to the forums
Power Mac G4 Quicksilver Power Supply dust removal
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
Hello

I am thoroughly cleaning out a PM G4 Quicksilver as there was a lot of dust. Right now the machine's optical and zip drive are out of the machine.

Question:
Does anyone know if the power supply can actually be opened to see the innards? I want to simply remove all the dust from the PSU. I don't want to bend any metals to get in there but if there are screws that will allow me to get inside more easily so that I can dust it out with an air can that would be all I need to know.

I understand that I can simply find out by removing the PSU but perhaps someone already has experience and can offer an answer.

Thanks!
—Alex

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Power Mac G4 Quicksilver Power Supply dust removal
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »
A Few Tips...

You can always open up PC/Mac Power supplies

1) Do NOT touch anything inside if you are a Newbie when it comes to electronics or you will get a substantial shock, handle very carefully (even if unplugged)

2) Look for "swollen" blown capacitor (they are crowned or bulged), This means the PS is on the way out and really needs to be changed

3)  Blow out using a compressor (canned air is a waste), but use a small wire to stop fans from rotating while you blast away, over-rotating fans and hearing that "spinning" sound is a real bad idea and spinning the fans beyond their rating will damage them.

Offline widter

• Valued Member
  • Go with a smile!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
I have recently cleaned a Quicksilver machine. The iFixit guide should be helpful to you.

But in my opinion, there is something even more critical when it comes to cleaning than the power supply: The "big fan". This one is sitting below the PS and can be opened relatively easily. Behind it, there usually is quite a bit more dirt than in the PS...

To clean the PS, you don't actually have to remove its wiring completely. If you turn your Mac in a "reversed L position" (on a couch, for example), so that the tower is lying there in front of you and the side panel is mounted against the couch backrest, you can get it out whilst keeping the wiring as it is.

If you really intend to open up the PS (only 4 screws on the QS model), I would suggest you swap the fan inside it. It's a standard 80x25 mm fan, you only have to flip the power cables.

Good luck :-)

Offline Alex

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »
Thank you ALL for your terrific answers. I will take heed and not go about disassembling the entire PSU but I did blow some dust out use an air can though not much dust came out.

I will also clean out the lower fan.

My goal was just to get the machine in a nice clean condition, just to remove some of the dust.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's tips and advice. Thank you all ver much!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:01:45 PM by Alex »
—Alex