Author Topic: Cubase VST32 (PC) 5.1 Success!  (Read 6260 times)

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Cubase VST32 (PC) 5.1 Success!
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:38:41 AM »
Hey just wanted to pass on the success I'm having with Cubase VST32 and a MOTU Parallel port MIDI Express and a TC Konnekt 48.

- Cubase 5.1 VST32
- XP SP2
- TC Near 2.5
- MOTU Midi Setup 2.51
- ASIO Multimedia Driver

I FINALLY found out how to workaround the "out of sync" problem with Cubase.  They fixed it later in Cubase SX2 or 3 with a checkbox for ignore Cubase timestamps.

I haven't tested whether the trick works with USB midi devices but I could care less because I avoid them at all costs.  I also haven't done enough testing to see how the TC ASIO performs but I have no intention of using VST instruments inside the DAW, so low latency is not a goal.

This thing is TIGHT!

The way to avoid the loss of recorded sync of MIDI is to "Reset Devices" in the "Options" Menu.  Do this whenever you sit down after leaving the DAW for a length of time.  Takes 2-3 seconds and the MIDI devices are reinitialized.

However, with this command comes a lot of other junk.  This is set in the MIDI prefs, under the "Reset" category.  I have turned most of them off so only the device initialization is performed.

Happy old school daw-ing!

Bobby

G3 400 B&W | Opcode Studio 3 | Midiman Biport | Digidesign TDM Mix

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Cubase VST32 (PC) 5.1 Success!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the info :)

We will move it to our PC off-topic section for other PC users

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Not through the forest just yet I am still getting unresponsive MIDI intermittently.  I remember this problem popping up in the past.  I will keep this updated.

For the record, if anyone finds Cubase VST32 hanging on startup for about 2 minutes and then finally opening, you may have to trash your preferences. 

THE PROBLEM is that by default Cubase stores many of these prefs IN THE SONG!  So you may find deleting the song (I know) is the immediate solution. 

The workaround I find works is to UNCHECK in every dialog the "SAVE WITH SONG" setting.  Basially now all your prefs are stored in the one file, in Documents and Settings.

You give up customized prefs for each song, in practice I actually wish this wasn't the default anyways. 

Bobby

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
BTW, the "Reset MIDI Devices" fixes both the recording out of sync (recording early notes) and the unresponsive MIDI input/output.

If I can find what is causing the MIDI engine to go offline, it may prevent both from happening.

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
Things are back on.  No MIDI dropping out mid-session!  -afro-

Only one reset needed mid-way through after I let Cubase sit for 20 minutes. 

Changes:
Removed Logitech USB receiver
Disabled LAN/ethernet in device manager

I wasn't in the mood to try one and then the other.  My bet is the Logitech receiver.  Oh, and here's a thing I learned from an EMU tech note, very handy:

Disable Legacy USB support in the bios!

That does NOT mean you can't use USB keyboards and mice.  It DOES mean you will need a PS2 keyboard handy for bios and startup.

I've been measuring my systems latency with the excellent DPC spike checker. Legacy USB support at the bios:

Enabled:
80 us (idle peak)

Disabled:
50 us (idle peak)

Was very surprised!  I've never had a desktop go that low.