Author Topic: Installing Reason 2.5 without CD drive?  (Read 7203 times)

Offline alenu

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Installing Reason 2.5 without CD drive?
« on: November 23, 2015, 06:44:50 AM »
I´m trying to install Reason 2.5 on my PowerBook Titanium 1Ghz, but my Superdrive is dead, it will not read any disc. Reason installer starts and then asks for the Orkester disc. I´ve tried mounting the toast image but it won´t do anything and the installer hangs after a couple of seconds.

Is there a way to install this without a cd drive? I did it on my Aluminium PB with OS X.

Thanks! (sorry for my english)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Installing Reason 2.5 without CD drive?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
If you have a second mac you can hijack that drive when you hookem up via firewire and start the other machine while holding down t

as for reason it needs the cd in the drive and there was no way around to my knowledge.

Offline alenu

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:07:06 AM »
If you have a second mac you can hijack that drive when you hookem up via firewire and start the other machine while holding down t

as for reason it needs the cd in the drive and there was no way around to my knowledge.

Thanks devils_advisor.

Yes, that should do the trick, in fact, that´s what i did to install OS9. But i was trying to avoid it this time because it seems to screw up the OS X Finder´s preferences afterwards (on the Mac used as Target Disk) and then i have to spend some time fixing it. But if there is no other way, i guess i´ll have to do that. Thank you again!

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:20:10 AM »
... But i was trying to avoid it this time because it seems to screw up the OS X Finder´s preferences afterwards (on the Mac used as Target Disk) and then i have to spend some time fixing it...

OS9 screwing up OSX...funny...normally it's the other way around

*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:03 AM »

Thanks devils_advisor.

Yes, that should do the trick, in fact, that´s what i did to install OS9. But i was trying to avoid it this time because it seems to screw up the OS X Finder´s preferences afterwards (on the Mac used as Target Disk) and then i have to spend some time fixing it. But if there is no other way, i guess i´ll have to do that. Thank you again!
i have never done that so far but what if you unplug the osx drive before starting in target disk mode?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »
Allways mounted the Reason 2.5 images using "Virtuial DVD-ROM Utility" and has worked just fine for installing and first start.
You can find it at the garden: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual-dvd-romcd-utility
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:44:43 AM »
Is this "Virtual" better for Cubase/Digital Performer/EXS24 too?

DieHard claims Cubase never gave problems using Toast 4

Virtual is "published" here too.  ;)

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2133.0

Based on Garden links and always pointing the garden.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4