Author Topic: Classic Mac Networking.  (Read 14681 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Classic Mac Networking.
« on: November 22, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »
A huge explanation about Classic Mac Networking.

http://www.applefool.com/se30/
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Classic Mac Networking.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
Thanks for posting that link MacTron! I need to get some sort of networking thing going in the coming months and don't really know much about it so I'll be sorting through that info!! ;D

Offline jamunroe

• new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:17 AM »
Yes this looks really useful. Thank you!

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 05:53:04 AM »
Those were the fun times back then with my SE/30....

Building a localtalk PCB with Z80 CPU/SCC clocked at 3.58MHz to attach a QMS JetScript PS PC card to the SE/30...all written in Z80 assembler for speed...

Think I still somewhere a chip lying around from the QMS JetScript PostScript card which has "Adobe" written on it ;-)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:42 AM »
Building a localtalk PCB with Z80 CPU/SCC clocked at 3.58MHz to attach a QMS JetScript PS PC card to the SE/30...all written in Z80 assembler for speed...

We used to use EtherPrint boxes from Dayna to connect printers to "Ethertalk" (Appletalk over Ethernet cabling). The EtherPrint box will convert your LocalTalk devices over to Ethernet; It can also convert some other types of LocalTalk devices to EtherTalk.  Everything ran super smooth; I personally setup over 40 Mac clients connect to a single Novell server (That was basically a Pentium II) and all was lightning fast.  So we had both the file sharing and print sharing very optimized.

Ahhh... the good old days.  Today, we are lucky if we can get a 15 Station Network up and running without issues.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »

... Everything ran super smooth; I personally setup over 40 Mac clients connect to a single Novell server (That was basically a Pentium II) and all was lightning fast.  So we had both the file sharing and print sharing very optimized.

Ahhh... the good old days.  Today, we are lucky if we can get a 15 Station Network up and running without issues.

We need to post that Novell server... Just to have some options for those x86 from 1999 to 2006 to be servant of our beloved Mac OS 9. Is it considered abandonware?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
We need to post that Novell server... Just to have some options for those x86 from 1999 to 2006 to be servant of our beloved Mac OS 9. Is it considered abandonware?

I don't think we would get that lucky :(

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
WinWorld has Novell 2.x to 6.x in ISO format for those wanting to try it. I give no guarantees at all--just pointing out availability.

https:/winworldpc.com/product/netware/6x

WinWorldPC is basically the Macintosh Garden of the PC universe, at least it tries to be.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.