Author Topic: iCab  (Read 16750 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: iCab
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
this is one of the most weird discussions which i ever saw here.
I can accept that you fell so. But perhaps it is just because it is not your reality. But please consider that it is for many other people!

compared to modern tools the difference between classilla, IE 5 and icab is so small, i would not even be able to tell the difference.
Please do not make such wrong statements. IE 5 was from 1999! iCab 3.0.5 is from 2008 and was absolutely up to date in 2008! This are 9 years difference.
I know our plattform becomes grown up in a few years ;) , but please stay fair.

and of course nobody uses OS9 to browse the web on a regular basis.
Hey I am here! Of course as GaryN said, I am not "typycal of the masses" even not typical for mac OS 9 users, but I have no other OS than Mac OS 9 in use.
And as Cameron said, there are a lot of crazy issues. People even come to classilla.org with Mosaik browsers! And not just one or two of them!

otoh, if you are using OS9 for audio, it is great that there is a browser which is at least working half way. you never know when you need one while youre in OS9.
Exactly. If we minimize the need to use different computers/Operating Systems we are stabilizing the plattform. For me it is enough to visit a Linux machine once every 2 months for the non working internet stuff (mostly commercial stuff). For you, GaryN and others a webbrwoser with modern technologys would be needed.

pls apologize if i just wrote these lines using windows 8, because my laptop is about 10 times faster than my G4. ^^
;)
But that doesn´t mean that people like me are wired. It depends on how you feel about the "throwaway society". Perhaps it is more feelable for you what I feel, when you think about Mozilla who stopped Firefox for PPC a few years ago telling that Quad G5s with 2,5 GHz are "old unusable computers" when they hae been just 5 years old, ... Even today the fastest machine I am using is that Linux PC that I talked about above, with dualcore 2 GHz 32 Bit and it can really do everything in the internet!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
Please do not make such wrong statements. IE 5 was from 1999! iCab 3.0.5 is from 2008 and was absolutely up to date in 2008! This are 9 years difference.

and that makes what difference in maximum youtube resolution or accepting a certificate from 2015?

And as Cameron said, there are a lot of crazy issues.

dont get me wrong, i totally love when people still support OS9.

but you must confess that 100,000 OS9 classilla/webzilla users out of 3 billion computer owners with online access makes a share of 0,000033%.

which explains why it does not make sense to try to sell commercial software in that field.

But that doesn´t mean that people like me are wired.

no, we are just weird. some of us might alse be wired. :)

It depends on how you feel about the "throwaway society".

you can use OS9 instead of iOs and you can exchange your porsche for a bike. i did, too.

but this does not make bikes cars.

Perhaps it is more feelable for you what I feel, when you think about Mozilla who stopped Firefox for PPC a few years ago telling that Quad G5s with 2,5 GHz are "old unusable computers" when they hae been just 5 years old

luckily tenfourfox does run a few things which safari 4 cant do anymore since 1-2 years.

but since a while tenfourfox is also not capable of some java-powered click methods and some certificates i need on a daily basis.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
One very important thing that iCab nor Explorer can't beat Classilla is HTML POP3/IMAP email support.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:01 AM »
After reading this thread, I had to grab a bottle of wine before my head exploded.  There are many emotions, opinions, facts all mashed together and I think we call agree and boil this thing down to a few points that are in this collective reality...

PowerMac G4s, like all computers, are a tool used my humans to accomplish a task or satisfy a need, Mac OS 9, like any OS is an add-on to the tool, like a bit (let's say a Hex Bit); now, in the modern world, for the internet, most bits have been changed over to Phillips, so you may be able to use OS9 for the Web, but you kinda have to jam it in the screw head and pray that it grabs a little, so it would be wise to say, that OS 9 is NOT the best BIT for the internet job... whether it can be modified, ground down, fixed in such a way... is not important, there are so many other functioning BITS for other tools that is a mute point...  it is clear anyone seeking these type of modifications, will probably have to "go it alone"

Now, back to the Hex Bit; NOBODY said we are jumping on the "obsolete bandwagon" (we obviously would not be here if we were); OS 9 is still a great asset in the toolbox for Audio, Video, Gaming, and other items, so we will keep it around and try to polish it up like new.  Also, we expose some flaws made in the newer technology, when the "Bit-makers" forgot included some functionality that was present in the older Tools.

To summarize, we can all agree that OS9, although not obsolete, has limitations due to evolution's that occurred to get us into the current reality... so we must keep that in mind... instead of getting upset and trying to re-mold the present reality :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »
While I certainly understand how ones head can feel like its about to explode from stuff like this, I think we should all look at the bright side and be happy that the Forum can now host such a passionate philosophical discussion without someone throwing temper tantrums and resorting to name-calling those who disagree with him…

To summarize, we can all agree that OS9, although not obsolete, has limitations due to evolution's that occurred to get us into the current reality... so we must keep that in mind... instead of getting upset and trying to re-mold the present reality :)
Word, brother!

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
While I certainly understand how ones head can feel like its about to explode from stuff like this, I think we should all look at the bright side and be happy that the Forum can now host such a passionate philosophical discussion without someone throwing temper tantrums and resorting to name-calling those who disagree with him…
;)

Word, brother!
I absolutely agree to this statement.

If some of my statements above sounded hard or something it may be that english is a foreign language to me. I just wanted to ask for exactness. As pointed out it is not the hardware that is limiting us, but the missing well coded webbrowser. It is also not Mac OS 9 in this case itselve but the user application that is not developed further since 2008.

Perhaps I am often frustrated because of all that posers the last 15 years who did´t not really use their Macs, but always argued against Mac OS 9.

Back on toppic; I really belive that we should try such "community activities" in future to keep our OS more up to date. Perhaps we could try with iCab now. If every registered member here would throw in 10 bucks that would perhaps lead to a good up to date iCab version. Perhaps it is a bad idea and we should collect for a further coder who cares about Classilla?

There are many possibilities, but we can change something if we like. I really belive there are 20k users and that is a good basis for a stable and up to date niche system.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
I can't agree more Mr. Matt. I would pay up to $20-$30 for an up to date Macos9 browser no problems. We just need our group to come to the party and get it done by whoever would like to give it a try thats all.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 05:47:07 AM »

Back on toppic; I really belive that we should try such "community activities" in future to keep our OS more up to date. Perhaps we could try with iCab now. If every registered member here would throw in 10 bucks that would perhaps lead to a good up to date iCab version. Perhaps it is a bad idea and we should collect for a further coder who cares about Classilla?

I can't agree more Mr. Matt. I would pay up to $20-$30 for an up to date Macos9 browser no problems. We just need our group to come to the party and get it done by whoever would like to give it a try thats all.

While I like the idea of improving iCab, we MacOS9 users in 2015 should think who is already helping us.

Please Donate: If you feel you have benefited from this forum and you have the means, feel free to contribute $5, $10, or $15 dollars, Paypal: [email protected]

ClassicHasClass is building http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/, the more updated browser for OS9.

Classilla sure needs users: users appear in server logs, and remind site owners that the whole world isn't using Windows or Internet Explorer. But to continue to advance, Classilla needs contributors -- and you can help out even if you don't know the first thing about developing for OS 9.

Can't code in C or OS 9, but you know a lot about HTML and CSS? Become a distiller and help turn malfunctions into test cases, so that coders can devise specific, targetted fixes. Find out how on the Classilla Wiki.

Know enough C/C++ to be dangerous? Become a coder and help integrate Mozilla patches into Classilla, or even write completely new features. You don't even have to know much about Mac programming to be helpful -- if you know CodeWarrior at all, come help out. Find out how on the Classilla Wiki.
He is helping MacOSX PPC with his TenFourFox http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

His blog  http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com.es/ is about fighting the advances on Firefox x86/64 and keep using his tools in PowerMacs (OSX) 2015. His last tool TenFourFoxBox http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com.es/2015/11/tenfourfoxbox-because-its-time-to-think.html is interesting.

I navigate normally in OSX (PPC or Intel), download the files, share them in network with OSX and last, boot to OS9 to expand/install. I just browse very little on OS9, to be fair. Just this forum. For Macintosh Garden Stuff I prefer to use OSX browsers too.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4