Author Topic: Sandisk Extreme Pro 240 GB SSD.  (Read 26884 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Sandisk Extreme Pro 240 GB SSD.
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:20:16 AM »
I'm planning to buy a couple of Sandisk Extreme Pro 240 GB SSD.  Did someone have experience with it working on Mac Os 9?
https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/extreme-pro-ssd
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MDD

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Sandisk Extreme Pro 240 GB SSD.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 04:21:57 AM »
Hey MacTron

I am planning to upgrade my G4s and G5 to SSD :D

I suppose the G4s'll need an adapter or something like that ?

But my main question is the G5 as it has SATA HDD already. If I buy an SSD (120GB could be enough for my needs…) Am I right believing it’ll be just a case of install the G5 SATA connectors on the SSD? Also, does make a difference if is on the upper or lower bay?

Thanks.
G5 DC 2x2.3GHz
G4 MDD 1.25GHz
G4 QS 933MHz
G3 B&W 350MHz
Mac mini i7
MacBook Pro

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:28:43 AM »
I suppose the G4s'll need an adapter or something like that ?

Yes, you'll need a SATA PCI card or a PATA to SATA adapter.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:34:42 AM »
Also, does make a difference if is on the upper or lower bay?

I installed a 256 GB in my G5.  I don't recall off the top of my head which bay it ended up in, but I can check when I'm at home and let you know.   
But when I tried it in one I couldn't get it to recognize the SSD, I put both spindle drives back in and both were recognized.  I pulled them out and put the SSD in the other bay and it was recognized and worked.  I tried all this a few more times to verify and it always came out the same. 
I tend to think that mine might be just an issue with my G5 though and it should work in either one.  I have two more sitting around I can this in too if it would be of benefit to you?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
I've used a few SSD's from OWC... The ones for a G4 tower come with the IDE/PATA adapter and a mounting adapter (to attach the physically smaller drive to the cage). Haven't used the model for G5 but I think it comes with a 'drive sled' to install it and plugs directly into the SATA plug.

They DO have a 2.5 SSD drive with an IDE connector for older laptops (where you wouldn't have room for the IDE/SATA adapter) but they're more expensive... have one of those waiting to be installed into a PowerBook G4 1Ghz Alu. ;D

Offline MDD

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.
G5 DC 2x2.3GHz
G4 MDD 1.25GHz
G4 QS 933MHz
G3 B&W 350MHz
Mac mini i7
MacBook Pro

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
I'm planning to buy a couple of Sandisk Extreme Pro 240 GB SSD.  Did someone have experience with it working on Mac Os 9?
https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/extreme-pro-ssd

Hey Mactron,
I tried a Sandisk Extreme in on on a Mac Pro and a G4 (in OS 9), but I think I am still partial to the Samsung Pro series.  In the G4 I used the Acard (not a SATA card).
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2569.msg15139#msg15139
The Sandisk does not feel as fast... but I do not have the newer version on the extreme... My is about 11 months old, think Read/write was around 400 MB/s.  The Samsung is around 525 MB/s, but the newer "Extreme" should be about the same. Overall, from experience with other items, I think the quality of the Samsung will be better than the Sandisk... Sandisk has always been a consumer product and I have seen many of their flash drives and other items fail so that I am NOT a fan of Sandisk.

It is a shame that OWC never made a OWC Mercury Accelsior for PC/G4, I have 2 of these and the far exceed any SATA SSDs.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SSDPHWE2R480/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KEQiApruyBRCFqoDu1pbk9rkBEiQAF8EFdbS840ad5LSAkBjGAo0WlDnUS5GDm5w7f7yNRhWc6UkaAtnq8P8HAQ

I did a recent test and loaded the biggest Multis from Komplete 8 Ultimate (Kontakt 5.5) and they load in about 2 to 3 seconds... absolutely crazy

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »
Hey Mactron,
I tried a Sandisk Extreme in on on a Mac Pro and a G4 (in OS 9), but I think I am still partial to the Samsung Pro series.  In the G4 I used the Acard (not a SATA card).
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2569.msg15139#msg15139
The Sandisk does not feel as fast... but I do not have the newer version on the extreme... My is about 11 months old, think Read/write was around 400 MB/s.  The Samsung is around 525 MB/s, but the newer "Extreme" should be about the same. Overall, from experience with other items, I think the quality of the Samsung will be better than the Sandisk... Sandisk has always been a consumer product and I have seen many of their flash drives and other items fail so that I am NOT a fan of Sandisk.

I have two SSDs from Samsung also. Both are the 840 series, But I'm having issues with one of them, even after The firmware upgrade fix by Samsung. Furthermore The new Samsung 850 seems to be problematic with Mac Os 9 ...
So another option is Sandisk Extreme II or Extreme PRO, those series according to reviews are really PRO. Let's see ...

It is a shame that OWC never made a OWC Mercury Accelsior for PC/G4, I have 2 of these and the far exceed any SATA SSDs.
Yes it will be great... but it never be happen.  :'(

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
My resident SSDs in the OS 9 G4s use the OWC SSDs (Legacy model) and they work flawlessly.  The other brands I only tested briefly... My Samsung is an 850 series, but I did not really test it fully in OS9. Is there a test on the 850 you want me to do in OS 9 ?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
My resident SSDs in the OS 9 G4s use the OWC SSDs (Legacy model) and they work flawlessly.  The other brands I only tested briefly... My Samsung is an 850 series, but I did not really test it fully in OS9. Is there a test on the 850 you want me to do in OS 9 ?

Yes, it will great to know if Mac Os 9 can boot from the 850. Because according to twokayprod

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2369.msg14933#msg14933

it is problematic ...
Thankyou in advance.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 07:51:24 AM »
I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD in my hands. Everything is working fine in Mac Os 9. Sleep mode is working, Mac Os 9 booting is OK.

I'll will post the speed test results later, but this SSD is fast. Insanely fast. Near the theoretical Maximum.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 08:57:25 AM »
Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB

Excellent !!

I may opt for one of these in my last MDD :)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »
Here we have the QuickBench hard disk speed test results:
As we can see the results are really impressive in all cases, random, sequential, read or write.

The cool boot take 32 sec !
This SSD have 10 year of warranty, and is cheaper than the Samsung 850 ( that by the way it doesn't work on Mac Os 9 )

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
Mactron, how did you connect the SSD ? I guess through a PCI sata card as you are speaking of high transfer speeds...what model of PCI card are you using ?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »
Mactron, how did you connect the SSD ? I guess through a PCI sata card as you are speaking of high transfer speeds...what model of PCI card are you using ?
The SSD was connected to Firmtek Seritek 1v4, a 64 bits PCI card.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:07 AM »
The SSD was connected to Firmtek Seritek 1v4, a 64 bits PCI card.
Do you have an IDE/SATA converter at your hand? I really would be interrested about the performance at internal Mac IDE busses.
When I first put my SSE into my Pismo (an Trancend 128GB) I wasn´t that impressed about speed improvements. I thought "ok it should deliver 50 MB/s in all situations" but it didn´t feel so. But ok I did no measurements and booting was also at around 30 seconds (but it was at 45 previously with the old 20GB HD as well).

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Do you have an IDE/SATA converter at your hand? I really would be interrested about the performance at internal Mac IDE busses.

This is QuickBench test of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD connected to an ATA 100 port through a SATA to PATA converter:

And this is QuickBench test of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD connected to an ATA 66 port through a SATA to PATA converter:

And finally his is QuickBench test of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD connected to an SATA 150 port through a PCI Sil 3112 based SATA card:

When I first put my SSE into my Pismo (an Trancend 128GB) I wasn´t that impressed about speed improvements. I thought "ok it should deliver 50 MB/s in all situations" but it didn´t feel so. But ok I did no measurements and booting was also at around 30 seconds (but it was at 45 previously with the old 20GB HD as well).

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »

This is QuickBench test of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD connected to an ATA 100 port through a SATA to PATA converter:

And this is QuickBench test of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD connected to an ATA 66 port through a SATA to PATA converter:

And finally his is QuickBench test of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD connected to an SATA 150 port through a PCI Sil 3112 based SATA card:

To my eyes the 2 first ones say the converter is not a bottleneck on ATA 66 speeds.

Now I get that your converter solution is a fine one over the expense on Acard setups.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »
Very interresting! Thanks a lot for the tests and the upload of the results.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
yes indeed! ;D