Author Topic: Poor CPU performance on MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25GB RAM  (Read 10800 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Poor CPU performance on MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25GB RAM
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 10:55:02 AM »
So the weekend came and went and then Thanksgiving and then another weekend and my wife kindly re-purposed valuable chunks of my free time all along...

Your not the only one with this problem :(  Guess we'll have to keep them after all...lol

I'm guessing that it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the driver's install on that should I want to permanently cannibalize my other MDD
Yes... very easy... check the apple system profiler in Mac OS 9 and look at what is in your MDD slots, then got into the "extensions manager" and check or uncheck the applicable video drivers... see here
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=570.0
2) VIDEO CARD INFORMATION (needed for later on)
From the Apple Menu, click "Apple System Profiler"
Select the Second Tab at the top "Devices and Volumes"
Under the PCI, Slot-1, AGP section, click the blue triangle to the left of "Display Card" to open the Video card info. write down the card Manufacturer

Can I just put my Radeon in the oven and try to re-float it?
Re-flowing via oven or hair dryer is a joke, and will just buy you a few more hours, days, or weeks, no tricks here, just replace it.

Is the second processor seen/used by Cubase or the plugins or by any audio software in Mac OS9?
We have long explanations (just search the forum); but if it is an OS 9 only MDD, then single processor is the way to go.

In the mean time I have been spoiled over the years to keep my latency to a minimum, run two or three live plugins on guitars and vocals, run a reverb and a delay as internal software sends and yet monitor them right through the host while I record without any audio dropouts.
OS X and MultiCore systems are better suited for this scenario by far :(

As for my Oasys PCI (which I've read somewhere in this forum that it isn't regarded very high)
It is a good overall card and should produce pro results under OS 9

At any rate, this forum and the Macintosh Garden have been truly awesome discoveries for me. The software collection you guys have made available here plus the vast knowledge and thorough replies you provide in record time alone makes the ride worth it.

We are glad you found us, If the "learning curve" on OS 9 is hindering you, then I recommend getting a real cheap Dual core G4/G5 (or fixing what you have) and trying Logic Pro 8 (no dongle needed) in OS X; the learning from CuBase will be minimal since it has a Track view with Inspector and many other very similar features.  You can do the software Monitoring without a hitch in LP8.  In the long run, Windows will hinder you much more

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Poor CPU performance on MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25GB RAM
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
Your not the only one with this problem :(  Guess we'll have to keep them after all...lol

sure, will kepp the ´puters forever. :)

everything else is rick ashley. :)
insert arbitrary signature here