Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Storage Technologies

"Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error...

<< < (9/10) > >>

teroyk:

--- Quote from: Roman323 on April 05, 2021, 11:22:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: DieHard on April 05, 2021, 12:11:27 AM ---
--- Quote ---As of this message, I do have 6.0.5 Norton Utilities and I was told that will fix this error under OS 9, or am I missing something ?
--- End quote ---

That will NOT fix the error AFAIR... you must backup all files and re-initialize the drive

--- End quote ---

Damn.. That means I will need to format my entire M2 SATA 512GB stick which includes Leopard and OS 9 - wow. If I were to try Norton Disk Doctor 6.0.5, it still won't fix it ?

--- End quote ---

Actually, if you have Leopard in HD then I recommend Alsoft DiskWarrior 5, it support HFS+ Journaled partitions too. And Alsoft still support G4 and G5 Macs(!) and sell it.

But big warning if you have ruined your disk with Norton then sometimes DiskWarrior cannot help, so order is try Diskwarrior first then Norton, because DiskWarrior tell what it can do, before it do anything.

I have seen older Diskwarrior (maybe version 2) installed on OSX 10.3 live-CD with iMac G3 in action about 15 years ago and it helped make physically broken HD (it made head sound)  readable for backup..it make new directory structure and then about half of files readable and it was last time that HD works when those files backup.

EDIT: It seems that Alsoft still sale older DiskWarrior 4 to G3 Macs too:
" If you have an older Mac running Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) through 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you may consider ordering DiskWarrior 4 which ships on a Mac OS X startup CD or DVD. DiskWarrior 4 requires that you start up in Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (Panther) through 10.10.x (Yosemite). DiskWarrior 4 is not compatible with OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or later. DiskWarrior 4 can only be obtained by first contacting our Technical Support Department" from https://www.alsoft.com/terms-of-sale

EDIT2: BIG WARNING! older DiskWarrior 3 doesn't support HDs that had been used with OSX 10.5.

EDIT3: little typo at > and.

macarone:
>Actually, if you have Leopard in HD then I recommend Alsoft DiskWarrior 5

I agree that DiskWarrior 4.3 is indispensible. It works fine on G4 and G5.

DiskWarrior came out it versions 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.2 (rel 2). On my G4 or G5, each versions starts the rebuild but freezes, and requires a Force Quit. Sometimes it causes a kernal panic.

Have others actually been able to have DiskWarrior 5.2 complete a rebuild?

DieHard:
Please re-post video with Norton Disk Doctor fix... although I don't recommend disk doctor 6.0.3 on 9.2.2 as it has been known to make some errors on Mac OS 9.2.2 worse :(

peeperpc:

--- Quote from: DieHard on April 07, 2021, 07:52:50 PM ---Please re-post video with Norton Disk Doctor fix...
--- End quote ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1kEjT6JCwg

There are two drives with an OS 9 partition on each. Mac1 OS 9 is attached to a Firmtek 1s2 clone PCI card, while Backup OS 9 is connected through an IDE/SATA adapter with JMicron chip.

Here I booted from Backup OS 9 to fix Mac1 OS 9. Norton Disk Doctor could fix the problem. But if I boot from Mac1 OS 9 to fix Backup OS 9, Disk Doctor, be it 6.0.3, 6.0.4, or 6.0.5, won't be able to fix it ("an unknown error occurred..."). The adapter is the culprit (or you may say it's the Disk Doctor that can't operate through it). Because when both drives are connected to the PCI card, they can fix each other.

But having both drives on the card creates other problem. System will hang if I copy files between them. It looks like the card doesn't like current Seagate Barracuda drives.

--- Quote from: DieHard on April 07, 2021, 07:52:50 PM ---although I don't recommend disk doctor 6.0.3 on 9.2.2 as it has been known to make some errors on Mac OS 9.2.2 worse :(
--- End quote ---

Acknowledged.

PS. I think this error, specifically one that is caused by OS X's Spotlight and Time Machine, doesn't need to get fixed. It has not caused any problem to me.

teroyk:
First time I get "Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error and I done that very fast:
I put new SSD.
I installed MacOS 9 and OSX 10.2 from Recovery DVD.
I little used Mac OS 9 (I made some tests with mLAN and format external Firewire drive with Lacie Silverlining)
Then I install OSX 10.5 to another partition (Yes I know, I should install OSX10.4 or OSX 10.3).
And in first boot of OS X 10.5  Apple logo turns forbidden logo.
Booting to Mac OS 9 and check with Disk First Aid and there it is: "Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error in all(!) partitions.
Both Installation Disks was original. OSX was retail 10.5.0.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version