Author Topic: Issues with 1GHz Titanium Powerbook and install images  (Read 4162 times)

Offline 3rd Degree

Issues with 1GHz Titanium Powerbook and install images
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:10:06 AM »
Hi there - just a note that I couldn't get either the Universal installer or the PowerBook Titanium 1 Ghz installer to work on my 1GHz Titanium Powerbook - the Titanium installer would boot but refused to install, saying that it was the wrong computer for the installer.

I ended up putting the Powerbook into target disk mode and copying over the "Just Format & Drag files to Install" image which worked fine.

One possible reason was I burned the images to DVD instead of CD (didn't have any CDs handy). This didn't affect booting up off the disks but it's the only reason I can think that may have caused the installers to fail (assuming they're 'known good').
Powerbook Titanium 1GHz G4
MOTU 828 Mk1
Midiman Midisport 2x2
Logic 4.8.1
Ableton Live 4
... and a few hardware synths and samplers.

supernova777

Re: Issues with 1GHz Titanium Powerbook and install images
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:32:22 AM »
please include a real working link to the page from which u downloaded the installer images that u burned
(for clarity)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
just a note that I couldn't get either the Universal installer or the PowerBook Titanium 1 Ghz installer to work on my 1GHz Titanium Powerbook - the Titanium installer would boot but refused to install, saying that it was the wrong computer for the installer.

I have used the 1 Ghz installer (which is an image of the actual original apple Titanium CD) on over 30 units; your Titanium must have been modified (maybe system board replacement under apple care) that made if look different to the installer.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »
im curious to know the the identifier is thats reported on this machine in OSX then..
ie: PowerBook3,5 <-- this type of identifier

isnt this the string that that installer would be checking for?
3rd Degree - which identifier does your machine show?

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
Hi there - just a note that I couldn't get either the Universal installer or the PowerBook Titanium 1 Ghz installer to work on my 1GHz Titanium Powerbook - the Titanium installer would boot but refused to install, saying that it was the wrong computer for the installer.

I ended up putting the Powerbook into target disk mode and copying over the "Just Format & Drag files to Install" image which worked fine.

One possible reason was I burned the images to DVD instead of CD (didn't have any CDs handy). This didn't affect booting up off the disks but it's the only reason I can think that may have caused the installers to fail (assuming they're 'known good').
hmm do u really think they programmed a size check on the media? to see if its a cd or a dvd? thats strange