Author Topic: Resetting the iLok time demo, the easy way.  (Read 36177 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Resetting the iLok time demo, the easy way.
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
Resetting the iLok time demo, the easy way:

1- Install iLok 5.05 (attached)
2- Drag and drop your startup HD to the "Make all visible" app. (attached)
3- Run the scrip "iLok 5.05 Time ResetScript" (attached)
4- Reboot your computer.

Perform steps 2 to 4 each time the demo expires.

This was successfully tested with Waves 4, I guest it should work with other iLok time demos, ( SonyOxford stuff and Antares Filter ... ) as far as they work with iLok engine 5.0.5  ;)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:35:22 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Resetting the iLok time demo, the easy way.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:17:13 AM »
Hi all,
I would have a question about resetting. I have a (lega) ilok working with some important and legal (!!) plugs (all sonnox stuff, ac1 ..). I would love to use some more plugs and would like to reset someday. But I am afraid that I destroy something on this ilok when I will reset in order to use some other plugs (waves 4 ...).
Can I destroy something when I use this reset procedure or do I need a new ilok with only demo plugs on it to be sure that I don't destroy anything?

Best, paule.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:40:31 AM »
Resetting the iLok time demo, the easy way:

1- Install iLok 5.05 (attached)
2- Drag and drop your startup HD to the "Make all visible" app. (attached)
3- Run the scrip "iLok 5.05 Time ResetScript" (attached)
4- Reboot your computer.

Perform steps 2 to 4 each time the demo expires.

This was successfully tested with Waves 4, I guest it should work with other iLok time demos, ( SonyOxford stuff and Antares Filter ... ) as far as they work with iLok engine 5.0.5  ;)

Thanks MacTron, that's AWESOME!!! Can't wait to try "The Easy Way"!! ;D ;D

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
Can I destroy something when I use this reset procedure or do I need a new ilok with only demo plugs on it to be sure that I don't destroy anything?
Sorry, but I don't know for sure ...

This method only do a few things: Make visible all invisible files on a HD and delete a few ones, (Desktop DB, Desktop DF, and HFSExtentTables folder)
That's not the best way, but the easiest :)

The best way is to selectively delete the contents of "HFSExtentTables", inside "TheVolumeSettingsFolder" (all are invisibles) and rebuid the desktop. May be that's the way for you  if you have some authorized plugins ... but I don't know for sure.  :'(

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:25:25 AM by MacTron »

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:12:50 PM »
Hi all,
thanks for the hints and the explantation. But I think I am too afraid to destroy anything on my ilok or the Harddisk and so I stay with the plugs I have. There are only few which I am still looking for. I have also another ilok where are only some expired demoplugs registered, but also making some files visible seems to me that I can destroy something that the normal ilok/harddisk maybe will not work anymore.

Best, paule.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »
Duplicate that drive and test it.

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »
Hi all,
thanks for the hints and the explantation. But I think I am too afraid to destroy anything on my ilok or the Harddisk and so I stay with the plugs I have. There are only few which I am still looking for. I have also another ilok where are only some expired demoplugs registered, but also making some files visible seems to me that I can destroy something that the normal ilok/harddisk maybe will not work anymore.

Best, paule.

this wont affect your hardware iLok.
i would bet u money it wont. iloks are more secure then that. and require more sophisticated + secure means of altering the contents of the ilok device. the procedure above will only affect the settings on disk.
im not 100% sure but im 99% sure it wont + Would be shocked to find out contrary.

perhaps if we have a member who has some useless license on a extra ilok could verify this...
i would be interested even in buying some extra cheap ilok on ebay to test with before risking expensive or rare licenses.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
to make sure that your legal versions do not expire or go wrong in some way you can check what has been in the extent tables folder before you install new demos of other products. these folders belong to the products you installed until now.

then - instead of using this apple script - delete only the new stuff inside.

making invisible files visible will not affect the operation with them in any way.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »
mactron: why make all visible and not just these three?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
mactron: why make all visible and not just these three?
Because it is easy.

... and I already  had the "AutoTyper" made . LOL

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:29:46 AM »
my question was more "is that required on OS9 applescript?" i knoiw that since 10.3 you can delete and move invisible files with AS, but i could not find how to do it in 9.

Offline UnSoNiC

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 02:53:43 PM »
Hello,

Thank you MacTron for your script, it's awesome!!!

But ... after running the script, reboot, ... what should I do to make invisible files become invisible again ?

Thank you
G4 (model M8570 EMC 1914) firewire 800
Sonnet Encore / MDX G4 Duet 2*1.8Ghz for Power Mac G4 MDD
2 Go RAM
NVIDIA Ge Force 4600 Ti graphic card
Digidesign expansion chassis 13 slots
1 Mix Core, 6 Mix Farms and 3 DSP Farms

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
Open the script in a editor and reverse what it does.

Offline SpiritFlight

• new to the forums
Problems Resetting Interlok Demo
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
I have created and apple script app in OS 10.4 that will allow one to toggle between viewing hidden files and not. It allows one to see and easily delete the contents of the "VolumeSettings" Folder and also the Desktop DB and Desktop DF files. If anyone wants the program I can make it available.

My Problem: I'm actually attempting to use the Waves 4 plugins in demo mode with a VST 4.0.3_X  waveshell. I'm currently running OS 10.4 with Classic (9.2.2) installed. I'm pretty sure there is someone here who can help me out, because I believe part of my problem may be on the OS 9 side of the equation.

In order to use Waves in Demo mode one needs to have the Pace Interlok extensions installed. This holds true for both OS 9 and 10. During the transition period, even if an OS X user was using Waves in demo mode only on the OSX side, he would still need to have mac OS 9 installed in order to satisfy the requirements of Pace Interlok. In other words, Waves will not work in demo mode in OS X if OS 9 is not installed.

Well my old G4 Aluminum Powerbook has been on the shelf for a few years. The Waves 4 plugins used to work in demo mode on this computer, but now they don't. Maybe I had Mac OS 10.3 installed?? I used the waves plugins in demo mode both with Deck 3.5 and Peak. Deleting critical files and rebuilding the OS9 Desktop no longer seems to work. The waves plugins no longer appear work in demo mode in OS 10.4. Waves is working in demo mode in OS 9 (Classic). Ideas anyone?

Update 02/24/16, I solved my problem. It had to be an OS X glitch. I went back to my computer's original OS which was 10.3. Now Waves 5 works beautifully in demo mode.

Finally Back in Business,
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:18:14 PM by SpiritFlight »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Problems Resetting Interlok Demo
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 03:29:20 AM »
In other words, Waves will not work in demo mode in OS X if OS 9 is not installed.

why do you think so? OSX does not even know which classic folder is currently chosen when classic has not yet been started.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Problems Resetting Interlok Demo
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:59 AM »
I have created and apple script app in OS 10.4 that will allow one to toggle between viewing hidden files and not. It allows one to see and easily delete the contents of the "VolumeSettings" Folder and also the Desktop DB and Desktop DF files. If anyone wants the program I can make it available.

Wellcome. Sharing the script would be great!

Update 02/24/16, I solved my problem. It had to be an OS X glitch. I went back to my computer's original OS which was 10.3. Now Waves 5 works beautifully in demo mode.

Finally Back in Business,
Thanks!

I am really interested in your Panther method. I plan to merge Full OS9 Cubase Instant Daw with a Panther Protools Install free of plugs with expirability and restore it every 15 days  with the ASR scripts because I never could reset the Oxford stuff with the 2 iLok resetters that I tried in Panther (probably resetters are focused on Tiger/Leopard)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline SpiritFlight

• new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 07:51:48 AM »
I will try to reply in order of the questions posted.

1.) It has to do with inerLock not the operating systems. The Pace installer looks for OS9 elements when installing the interlock software, even if the user no longer uses OS 9. This apparently changed however with the introduction of Waves 5 which seems to 100% OS X.

2.) I just tried the Apple Script I created in Mac OS 10.4. It doesn't work in Panther. I'm not a coder so I will see if I can find the instructions to recreate it for Panther.

3.) Any software I have I am willing to share. Too bad, just a couple of years ago, I dumped all my OS 9 installers thinking that they were truly obsolete. I had a lot. I just want to make sure I'm not braking any rules. Is there a set of site guidelines I can read in regard to sharing software?

How would I go about uploading the Waves 5 installer? I also have a program to go with it that will reset interlok. Please keep in mind that Waves 5 is OS X only.

I also have an iChing Install CD for OS 9. The software is truly brilliant, graphically beautiful and it took a lot of time and know how to build the program. If you like the iching, this is a must have! No serial number required. Originally I paid for the program. I can make a disk image of the CD.

OS 9 used to be my specialty!..... 16 years ago. I operated an independent Macintosh Consulting and repair business for 14 years. My OS 9 knowledge however, is still buried in the cobwebs of my memory and I am always willing to offer my insights when I have something to share.

I love recording but digital audio is not my specialty. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you as I slowly get set up again with a small studio. I learned on Bias Deck 3.5 and that is still what I use. It has been sufficient for my needs so far and the program has rendered some beautiful recordings. And now with Waves 5 working in Demo mode in Panther, I'm all set to go.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
My OS 9 knowledge however, is still buried in the cobwebs of my memory

We need to dust off those cobwebs, as there must be many pearls of wisdom that we could use around here!! ;D ;D

I'll contribute a large box of 'Wheaties' and some espresso to the cause if that would help!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 08:21:03 AM »

The Pace installer looks for OS9 elements when installing the interlock software, even if the user no longer uses OS 9.

this does not mean that it wont work when OS9 is not present. just try it.

Any software I have I am willing to share [...] Is there a set of site guidelines I can read in regard to sharing software? [...] How would I go about uploading the Waves 5 installer?

your attitude is most welcome here. regarding audio stuff, we´re only missing some 10 products (most of which i doubt that anyone can help). but we will start with video and graphics sooner or later. i bet i must have missed the one or other PS plug-in back in the days.

I also have an iChing Install CD for OS 9.

this? :) http://www.macintoshrepository.org/1683-i-ching-connection

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »
We are keeping Adrive for all the actual downloads. But future uploads will go to your own MediaFire account. Once you share a file with us, we notice you via Private Message that we had it and you can delete the shares.

Each share must be encapsulated before uploading because all cloud services tend to strip the fork of the files. Therefore, your Anything.sit or anything.hqx file should be encoded to .BIN before be sent. The hqx.bin or sit.bin file can travel safety thru internet. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching_%28disambiguation%29

I guess he means Mac Os 9 in Chinese .... I only knew about the Japanese version.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4