Author Topic: Illegal Instruction Error on 9.2.2. Startup G3 iBook 466MHz  (Read 4202 times)

Offline CampoCalle

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Illegal Instruction Error on 9.2.2. Startup G3 iBook 466MHz
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:20:48 AM »
Hi, this is one cool site.  I am trying to get my late father's clamshell iBook G3 up and running.  It appears that he had tried to install OS X but the machine would hang up during the booting process, never making it beyond the silver apple.  I downloaded the AHT file from this site and ran the extended hardware test.  Everything passed.  I then downloaded the Universal OS 9.2.2 image here, burned a disk, and successfully installed the OS.  However, I get "illegal instruction" upon startup. Holding down the shift key as suggested in the error message allows the OS to be loaded with the extensions off, but something must be wrong.   Thanks for any ideas. 

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Illegal Instruction Error on 9.2.2. Startup G3 iBook 466MHz
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »
Run the "extensions Manager", set the "Base System" settings (will be only a small set of extensions) and reboot.

Then slowly add the extensions you need a few at a time.

Read which ones are needed for a particular purpose here...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2765.0

Offline CampoCalle

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »
Thanks DieHard.  Once selecting "Mac OS 9.2.2 Base" from the extensions manager, the computer still stalls on startup and now displays a blank error box.  https://goo.gl/photos/W6y9CiTx4o6ygagP9

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
Based on where it appears to be stalling in your pic, is there anything connected to USB? A USB driver issue with a printer, an audio interface or something USB-ish might cause a hang at that point.

Just a guess…