Author Topic: Playing Logic 6.4 instruments via external midi  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Dave 23

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Playing Logic 6.4 instruments via external midi
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:49:03 AM »

Hi all-
           I'm playing two of Logic's instruments via midi. At the moment they both respond to the incoming midi,depending on the track selected in the arrange window-  even though their midi channels are set in the Object parameter box to 1 and 16 respectively. The midi monitor confirms incoming signals are on channels 1+ 16. Am I missing something?...it's been a while!      Thanks for any advice. Dave

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Playing Logic 6.4 instruments via external midi
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
I have never fed 2 midi tracks at once.

Maybe with a environment trick... I always had to choose A or B instruments.

I have no idea how to select 2 tracks at once on Arrange.

Given that you asked it on PPC OSX, I would try one of the first versions of Mainstage.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Dave 23

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 04:07:30 AM »

Thanks much for the reply.
 After thinking about it, the question should have been "Is there a way to use LAP  6.4.1 as a multi timbral sound module?"
  I found a way to do it in the environment by creating a channel splitter and then wiring it into two new Audio Objects, assigned as Audio Instruments via the parameter box.
    I will dig out my copy of Mainstage though, I never really looked into that.   Cheers, D

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 06:02:25 AM »
This topic is old, but since no one has responded, I guess I will.

No....Logic 6 and earlier can route incoming MIDI only to the one selected Audio Instrument  track. The running sequencer can play many Audio Instruments. The only way around this is to have the sequencer running, but then there is that ridiculous delay like with rewire. This all changed with Logic 7 and subsequent  OSX versions which can  make a very usable host. Under  OS9 Cubase 5 makes a great host, though Sound Manager defaults to an annoying 23ms latency. You can get 8ms latency using an Oasys card, for example. Or you can assign Sound Manager itself to that card and get 4ms.