Author Topic: Cant use RTAS plugins always run out of resources  (Read 17236 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Cant use RTAS plugins always run out of resources
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:52:16 AM »
For all practical purposes my setup is rock solid.
G4
7 slot expansion chassis
OS9.2.2
currently running 2X mix core and 3X mix farm
1.5 gig ram

Everything works except RTAS. Oh I can add them, maybe 1 but anything more than that and I get an error message.

I don't really need to use RTAS except for one plugin "Amplitube" I really want to use this but I cant get it to work and I cant figure out what is wrong with the whole RTAS mess....

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Cant use RTAS plugins always run out of resources
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:16:23 AM »
Yeah RTInstaller... OBVIOUSLY somethings up with your RTAS situation!

Just to be clear, are you saying that you can only add a few RTAS plugs WHEN you have Amplitude active... OR...

Generally, You can only activate a few RTAS plugs  even WITHOUT Amplitude active??

I have a similar setup to yours and can use plenty of RTAS but I've never used Amplitude... maybe it's a MAJOR resource hog?? Seems like something else going on though. ???

IIRC you're using a MDD?? 

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:37:52 AM »
Amplitube is a resource hog. But were the best guitar amp emulation on that age. At least that is in my memories.

When playing with Amplitube, I insert that plug in a track that is sent to an aux. And I record that aux to a track. You can record hundreds (32 tracks on LE) of tracks using this trick.

My dual GHz can support 2 or 3 Amplitube RTAS at the same time at 128 of delay.

It is easy to work with low cpu resources if you BOUNCE a playback and make a new session importing all the markers and measures with just a stereo playback. Later, after all the guitar solos session recorded with the above method, you import the guitar tracks printed on the mix mother session.

Think on it as if a song needs 3 or 4 sub projects where you track the singer/bassist/guitarrist... Later the individual projects export tracks to mother project.

Even on the singer sessions, I print the vocal reverb on a track and I can later decide if I want more reverb or less.

Also, as guitarrist, I like to mix the original un-amplitubed guitar with the printed-distorted-amplitubed guitar. Later, on mix, I can decide how much distortion I want mixing both

My favourite sound is 2-3 dif. amps + clean one.

[youtube]b-pkDd5epgk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:47:57 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
Yeah RTInstaller... OBVIOUSLY somethings up with your RTAS situation!

Just to be clear, are you saying that you can only add a few RTAS plugs WHEN you have Amplitude active... OR...

Generally, You can only activate a few RTAS plugs  even WITHOUT Amplitude active??

I have a similar setup to yours and can use plenty of RTAS but I've never used Amplitude... maybe it's a MAJOR resource hog?? Seems like something else going on though. ???

IIRC you're using a MDD??
Amplitube or not I can only ever add just 1 RTAS plugin and even then it is dicy depending on what plugin it is. Even if I have a session with no TDM plugins I have the same problem. I have a dual door G4 quicksilver, wish I had a dual processor. As soon as I can get a 7 node cable made I will be adding the last two cards to my expansion chassis, so I have plenty of plug ins, just not happy with being stuck with only line 6 and sansamp, I even resort to running line 6 clean and then running sans amp in front and after  for extra flavor. I am a guitar player among other things havinng grown up in the 60's and 70's on a diet of assorted tube amps so I am of course complex and picky about this sort of thing.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:10:42 PM »

I can only ever add just 1 RTAS plugin and even then it is dicy depending on what plugin it is.

Yeah obviously THAT's not right!! Gotta be something 'flakey' going' on there.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »

I can only ever add just 1 RTAS plugin and even then it is dicy depending on what plugin it is.

Yeah obviously THAT's not right!! Gotta be something 'flakey' going' on there.
So where should I start looking in OS9 to resolve this problem?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
I have a dual door G4 quicksilver, wish I had a dual processor.

PT 5 doesn't take advantage of Dual Processors and Digi even recommends that you disable by removing the DP extension from the system folder (or something like that ;D). The QS should be able to handle a bunch of RTAS plugs... Gotta be something weird going on.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »

So where should I start looking in OS9 to resolve this problem?

THAT is the question!! We'll have to do a little research I guess.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
Does The CPU show up as being maxed out when you pull up the 'system performance meters'?... (or whatever they're called)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:39:42 PM »
Does The CPU show up as being maxed out when you pull up the 'system performance meters'?... (or whatever they're called)

With no RTAS I have a session that is using 28 TDM plugins and 57 tracks of audio the processor dances around less than half way up the meter.

Adding just 1 RTAS plugin pushes the meter to 3/4 and I generally get an out of processing power error message.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »
How much RAM do you have installed?

Did you turn virtual memory off?

You should try running with a minimal extension set to see if that helps.

DieHard has a great post here called 'System Tweaks' or something like that ... it details setting up your system for a DAW... Some great advice... I'll look for it.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
How much RAM do you have installed?

Did you turn virtual memory off?

You should try running with a minimal extension set to see if that helps.

DieHard has a great post here called 'System Tweaks' or something like that ... it details setting up your system for a DAW... Some great advice... I'll look for it.
RAM 1.5 gig
VM Off

I will check out the system tweeks page I imagine this covers system extensions

Thanks!!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »

With no RTAS I have a session that is using 28 TDM plugins and 57 tracks of audio the processor dances around less than half way up the meter.

Adding just 1 RTAS plugin pushes the meter to 3/4 and I generally get an out of processing power error message.

Well That's a fairly hefty session... Do you still get the 1 RTAS thing on a more 'light weight' session too??

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
Ok,  I created a scratch session with 10 empty tracks and no audio,

My processor is at zero.

I then added 3 RTAS plugins 1 each to a track LA2A, Sansamp, and Mooger Fooger. the processor jumped to greater than 50 percent.

adding a, Pultec a Tel Ray and a channel strip pushed it to 75 percent.

The same plugins in TDM format put in place of the RTAS plugins nets what you would expect and that is zero CPU usage

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:30 PM »
Not at my system but see if you can increase the 'CPU Usage Limit' in the 'Playback Engine' pull down menu... That tells the computer how much CPU resources to let PT use... Maybe it's set on the low side and jacking it to 80% or more could give you more leeway??

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
Same thing with Hardware buffer... might wanna try increasing that too. The advice used to be 'smaller' while recording (less latency) ... and 'bigger' for mixing (more plugs).

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »
Not at my system but see if you can increase the 'CPU Usage Limit' in the 'Playback Engine' pull down menu... That tells the computer how much CPU resources to let PT use... Maybe it's set on the low side and jacking it to 80% or more could give you more leeway??

I already have that maxed at 85 percent.

I followed the directions for reducing the total number of extensions and that improved my RTAS CPU usage about 20 ish percent. not stellar but an improvement none the less. I am going to try and stream line a few more areas that were mentioned and then post my results.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
I followed all the advice I could find on that link. I loaded 10 RTAS plugins into my no audio test session and was able to reach a maximum of 10 RTAS plugins before I reached 75 percent CPU usage, anything over 11 RTAS plugins causes the CPU meter to max out.

I am now going to try and test this in an actual session

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »
Final verdict

In my biggest session I can run 4 RTAS plugins. Adding a 5th leads to an error

Improvement Yes!