Author Topic: Mac OS 9 Booting and Installing for Beginers  (Read 54365 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Mac OS 9 Booting and Installing for Beginers
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »

To boot a computer with Mac Os 9, we need:

#1- A Mac Os 9 capable computer.
#2- An HFS volume with Mac Os 9 drivers.
#3- A Mac Os 9 System folder.

Notes:

#1- All g3 and most of G4 are Mac Os 9 capable computers. This can be checked at http://www.everymac.com/. Furthermore, some of unsupported Macs can be booted via special procedures ...

#2- An HFS volume can be a Hard Disk, a CD-ROM or an external device connected via USB (including pendrives), Firewire or eSATA.
Drive Setup (in Mac Os 9) and Disk Utility (in Os X) can format HFS+ devices with Mac Os 9 drivers. Gparted (Linux) can create HFS volumes but without Mac Os 9 drives, so aren't bootables.

#3- In the Mac Os 9 system folder, the Mac Os ROM, System and Finder files are the ONLY files needed to boot (well, the Finder isn't really necessary to boot, in fact it can be changed for any other app), the remaining files and folders are optionals and can be fully wiped for troubleshooting procedures.
The System and ROM versions should be the same or later versions from the ones that the computer come with.

The Startup folder should be selected in the Startup Disk control panel:

This settings can be temporary bypassed pressing the option key during startup:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:28:19 PM by DieHard »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
CHAPTER #2 - Background Information...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Below you will find some general background info:

What versions of Mac OS can my mac run?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1835

Mac OS Versions vs Release Dates:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/timelines/macos

WHICH VERSION TO LOAD ?[/u]
Unfortunately, there has always been a heated debate on which Mac OS 9 version to install. In general, many users have favored the very last revision, Mac OS 9.2.2 as the most stable and preferred version. However, I can tell you from personal experience that it is best to do some research after you decide upon your favorite application(s). You can probably rule out V9.0, V9.02, V9.03, and V9.04 for stability issues and the lack of enhancements. So, you are half way there, with only V9.1, V9.2, V9.2.1, and V9.2.2 to consider.

If your Mac system restore leaves you in the V9.0 realm, it can be patched as follows:
MacOS 9.1 Update --> MacOS 9.2.1 Update --> MacOS 9.2.2 Update

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A HARD DRIVE GREATER THAN 128 GB USE Mac OS 9.2.2
If you intend to use PATA/IDE hard drives larger than 128GB under OS 9, then be aware that you will need the combination of a Mac with an IDE controller that is 48-bit LBA compliant and operating system version 9.2.2

What the hell is 48-bit LBA compliant, you ask?
Well, it is the ability of the Mac to see the total number of heads, cylinders, and sectors of large hard drives.
We have tested the following Macs and they can see hard drives of up to 500GB within Mac OS 9.2.2: QuickSilver 733, QuickSilver 800, QuickSilver DP 800, QuickSilver 867, QuickSilver 933, QuickSilver Dual 1 GHz with logic board 820-1342-B (QS logic board 820-1276-A will NOT work and peak out at 128 GB), All FW400 MDD models, Titanium PowerBook 800, Titanium PowerBook 867, Titanium PowerBook 1Ghz will work nicely.

With drives over 128GB, as far as the Mac OS revision, you will be stuck with Mac OS 9.2.2 only, as it contains Apple Drive Setup V2.1.  This version of this app is the first version to support larger drives and will be needed to format and partition drives greater than 128GB. We also recommend that you keep your partitions to sizes of 190GB or less.. exceeding this size has some ramifications .. (2 of them) .. 1st) OS 9 will not boot and 2nd) Norton Speed Disk V6.03 will not be able to defrag it.

To clarify, if you are putting a 500GB IDE drive into your Mac, simply break it into 3 partitions:
  • 120GB (os volume)
  • 190GB (data volume) --190gb being the highest size while maintaining compatibility with defrag
  • 190GB (data volume) --190gb being the highest size while maintaining compatibility with defrag
*format all volumes Mac OS Extended
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:43:28 PM by DieHard »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
CHAPTER 3 - Downloading and Installing...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install - ISO CD Image - Our Most Popular Download

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html

Advantages:
1) No Need to Install OS X, No DMG or other image files Needed
2) No Need for any Additional Updates or Patches; this install contains newer versions of the Video extensions and the Mac OS ROM file as compared to the famous "General.dmg" disk image that is floating around the web, so it would be wise to use the Mac OS9 Lives install CD-ROM which has the latest versions.

Details: Full version of 9.2.2 for all Mac G3 and G4 Systems, it contains: Mac OS ROM Version 10.2.1, Mac OS CPU Software 5.9 from 04.2003, Graphics Card Updates from 10.2002

Simply Download the Image, Burn to a CD-ROM, Boot to the CD-ROM and follow the included on-screen instructions
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:01:17 PM by MacOS9Lives.com »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
CHAPTER 4 - Extensions, Control Panels, and General Tweaks after Install
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »
Network related extensions:
Apple Enet 2.4.5, AppleShare 3.9.4, Open Transport 2.8.3, Open Transport ASLM Modules 2.8.3, Shared Library Manager PPC 2.0.2, Internet Config Extension 2.0.7

USB/FireWire related extensions:
FireWire Enabler 2.8.7, FireWire Support 2.8.7, HID Library 1.5.9, USB Device Extension 1.5.9

QuickTime And Sound Manager related extensions:
Apple Audio Extension 2.4, Sound Manager 3.7.1, QuickTime Extensions, QuickTime 6.0.3, QuickTime Musical Instruments 6.0.2, QuickTime  PowerPlug 6.0.3

OpenG related extensions:
OpenGLEngine 1.2.4, OpenGLLibrary 1.2.5, OpenGLMemory 1.2.4, OpenGLRenderer 1.2.4, OpenGLUtility 1.2.4

Video card related extensions:
NVIDIA 2D Acceleration 3.5.2, NVIDIA Drive 3.5.2, NVIDIA DVD Accelerator 3.5.2, NVIDIA Engine 3.5.2, NVIDIA OpenGL 3.5.2, NVIDIA Video Accelerator 3.5.2

Other Extensions:
DrawSprocketLib 1.7.8, InputSprocket Extension 1.7.3, Time Synchronizer 8.3.3, Contextual Menu Extension 1.0.2, Joliet Volume Access 2.1b5,
Text Encoding Converter 1.6, Apple CD/DVD Driver 1.4.8, DVD Region Manager 1.1, CarbonLib 1.6.1, Multiprocessing

Control Panels:
Joliet Control 2.1b5,USB Overdrive 1.4,Appearance 1.1.4,Date & Time 8.3.3, Energy Saver 3.0.5,File Exchange 3.0.5, General Controls 8.0.3, Internet 1.0.3, Keyboard 8.6.2,Memory 8.1.3,Monitors 7.5.6, Numbers7.1,QuickTime Settings 6.0.2, Sound      8.5.8, Startup Disk 9.2.6,TCP/IP 2.5,Text  8.0

I will not explain the function of every control panel and extension here, you can google something if you are curious or use this as a quick start guide and take the advice on pure faith...

1) INITIAL TWEAKS

- Memory ControlPanel
From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click MEMORY
Turn Virtual Memory OFF
Be Sure RAM DISK is OFF.

- Energy Saver Control Panel
From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click ENERGY SAVER
In the SLEEP SETUP page, set “Put the system to sleep” at NEVER.
(It is also recommended that the SLEEP command not be used from the "Special" menu)

- Disable Appletalk
From the Apple Menu, click CHOOSER
Click INACTIVE in next to the Appletalk option at the bottom right corner of the window.

- Disable Font Smoothing
From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click APPEARANCE
Click the FONTS tab inside the Appearance window.
Disable the option “SMOOTH ALL FONTS”

2) VIDEO CARD INFORMATION (needed for later on)
From the Apple Menu, click "Apple System Profiler"
Select the Second Tab at the top "Devices and Volumes"
Under the PCI, Slot-1, AGP section, click the blue triangle to the left of "Display Card" to open the Video card info. write down the card Manufacturer

3) EXTENSIONS AND CONTROL PANELS
Trim your Extensions & Controls Panels to help performance and prevent possible extension conflicts; if you are a Newbie to OS 9, when in doubt, don't turn off an extension unless you are sure you don't need it, the amount of RAM saved is not worth the headache you are going to have if you inadvertently turned off something you need and don't realize it...if you want to experiment, you can use this guide first as a baseline and then pick "Duplicate Set" and try variations of your initial modified setup, that way, you can easily switch back if you make a mistake

From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click EXTENSIONS MANAGER..
Click “Duplicate Set” at the bottom right corner of the Extensions Manager window. Name the duplicate set when prompted… something like "Recording Studio Mac" or your name as an Artist or Production Company

Sort First... it will make the below list much easier !
Click on the word "Package" at the top of the Package column to immediate sort the Control Panels and Extensions, this will immediately give you a bird's eye view of which packages belong together

- Control Panels to turn off

If you don't intend on using a dial-up telephone modem..
Remove the X from
     DialAssist
     Modem
     Remote Access

Also, Remove the X from
     Location Manager
     Multiple Users (assuming you are the only user, you better be, don'y let anyone use your Music Mac)
     Software Update
     USB Printer Sharing (who likes to share anyway)
     Web Sharing

- Extensions to turn off

If you don't have an Airport Wireless Card Installed...
Remove the X from
     Airport AP
     Airport AP Support
     Airport Driver

If you don't access your Mac remotely...
Remove the X from
     OpenTpt Remote Access
     OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator
     Remote Only

If you don't Voice Control your Mac...
Remove the X from
     Speech Recognition

If you use iTunes, but don't own a Nomad, SoundSpace, or Rio (I don't think you own any of these)...
Remove the X from
     Nomad II USB Driver
     Nomad MG USB Driver
     Nomad USB shim
     NomadJukeboxLib
     SoundSpace2Lib
     NomadJukeboxLib Driver
     USBRioDriver
     USBSoundSpace2 Driver

To turn off hard drive file indexing (trust me, you want it off)
Remove the X from
     FBC Indexing Scheduler

No Zip or Jaz drive ?
Remove the X from
     Iomega Drive

Some to trust me on... unless you know otherwise
Remove the X from
     Location Manager Extension
     Multi-User Startup
     Serial Tool
     Software Update Engine
     Software Update Scheduler
     Voice Verification
     VT102 Tool
     XMODEM Tool
     Web Sharing Extension
     Setup Assistant API
     Setup Assistant Launcher
     Setup Info Dispatcher
     Setup Internet Support
     Setup Modem Selector

To turn off un-needed video extensions (remember you found out your video card in Step 2
If you have an nVidia Card
Remove the X from
     All Extensions with "ATI" in them

If you have an ATI Card
Remove the X from
     All Extensions with "nVidia" in them

4) ADVANCED TRICKS & TIPS:
After an Initial Mac OS 9 Install navigate to the Extensions folder in the System Folder, select all the files (hold down Command/Apple and press 'A'), and label them with a color. This way, any third-party extensions added subsequently are easy to spot since they will appear with a different color to the original set and these colours will be visible in Extensions Manager!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:34:46 AM by DieHard »

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
Re: Mac OS 9 Booting and Installing for Beginers
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:06:10 PM »
The disc images you guys made here helped me install OS9 on my dual 1,25GHz MDD without any work. The only thing i have to do now is install all my emulators and stuff since i now can take advantage of my 250+GB ide drives i had saved before getting this bad boy and the Radeon 9000 card with ADB. So thank you guys!

PS: can anyone help with some pre-OS8 things?
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

Offline bsharvy

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 06:44:12 PM »
Can a graphite G4 boot over the Ethernet? I have a DA Mac with no hard drive, and a Time Capsule. Wondering if I can boot that way (or with an Airport Extreme with a USB drive plugged in, which I assume would be faster than plugging the drive into the USB 1.1 port).

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline bsharvy

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
Hi. thanks for the link. I don't understand how that would work. Where would I install software to make the computer look for a boot drive over Ethernet? It wouldn't make sense to install it on the Ethernet drive....

Offline bsharvy

• Valued Member
Re: CHAPTER #2 - Background Information...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A HARD DRIVE GREATER THAN 128 GB USE Mac OS 9.2.2
If you intend to use PATA/IDE hard drives larger than 128GB under OS 9, then be aware that you will need the combination of a Mac with an IDE controller that is 48-bit LBA compliant and operating system version 9.2.2

What the hell is 48-bit LBA compliant, you ask?
Well, it is the ability of the Mac to see the total number of heads, cylinders, and sectors of large hard drives.
We have tested the following Macs and they can see hard drives of up to 500GB within Mac OS 9.2.2: QuickSilver 733, QuickSilver 800, QuickSilver DP 800, QuickSilver 867, QuickSilver 933, QuickSilver Dual 1 GHz with logic board 820-1342-B (QS logic board 820-1276-A will NOT work and peak out at 128 GB), All FW400 MDD models, Titanium PowerBook 800, Titanium PowerBook 867, Titanium PowerBook 1Ghz will work nicely.

With drives over 128GB, as far as the Mac OS revision, you will be stuck with Mac OS 9.2.2 only, as it contains Apple Drive Setup V2.1.  This version of this app is the first version to support larger drives and will be needed to format and partition drives greater than 128GB. We also recommend that you keep your partitions to sizes of 190GB or less.. exceeding this size has some ramifications .. (2 of them) .. 1st) OS 9 will not boot and 2nd) Norton Speed Disk V6.03 will not be able to defrag it.

To clarify, if you are putting a 500GB IDE drive into your Mac, simply break it into 3 partitions:
  • 120GB (os volume)
*format all volumes Mac OS Extended

What about external Firewire drives?

Offline bsharvy

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
I can't get  anything on this Web site to work. I formatted a USB flash drive and a powered Firewire drive as "HFS+ (Journaled)" and installed OS 9.2.2 on them. The G4 wouldn't boot from them. Is there something I'm missing?

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »
>I formatted a USB flash drive and a powered Firewire drive as "HFS+ (Journaled)"

If the computer is going to boot into OS 9, it will probably just have USB 1, and therefore be unsuitable.

When you formatted the FireWire drive, did you check "Install OS 9 drivers" ?
This is absolutely necessary.

macStuff

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 01:41:40 AM »
forget about using USB with a mac g3/g4
usb is only for keyboards + mice on these computers
usb is for osx only; in combination with usb2.0 ports (which are only found on osx only g4/g5s)

pro tip: buy a firewire 400 enclosure

Offline bsharvy

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 12:10:28 PM »
I did eventually get it working. I booted off the USB flash drive, and eventually off an external Firewire 400 drive. I never tried using Ethernet + drive over Airport Extreme or Time Capsule.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: CHAPTER #2 - Background Information...
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 06:46:05 PM »
What about external Firewire drives?

up to < 2 TB.

use OSX 10.4.x (not OS9 nor 10.5.x) to format your drives, this saves a lot of headache.

except for booting: then then you always need one < 190 partition for the system folder.

Offline Roman323

• Enthusiast Member
Network related extensions:
Apple Enet 2.4.5, AppleShare 3.9.4, Open Transport 2.8.3, Open Transport ASLM Modules 2.8.3, Shared Library Manager PPC 2.0.2, Internet Config Extension 2.0.7

USB/FireWire related extensions:
FireWire Enabler 2.8.7, FireWire Support 2.8.7, HID Library 1.5.9, USB Device Extension 1.5.9

QuickTime And Sound Manager related extensions:
Apple Audio Extension 2.4, Sound Manager 3.7.1, QuickTime Extensions, QuickTime 6.0.3, QuickTime Musical Instruments 6.0.2, QuickTime  PowerPlug 6.0.3

OpenG related extensions:
OpenGLEngine 1.2.4, OpenGLLibrary 1.2.5, OpenGLMemory 1.2.4, OpenGLRenderer 1.2.4, OpenGLUtility 1.2.4

Video card related extensions:
NVIDIA 2D Acceleration 3.5.2, NVIDIA Drive 3.5.2, NVIDIA DVD Accelerator 3.5.2, NVIDIA Engine 3.5.2, NVIDIA OpenGL 3.5.2, NVIDIA Video Accelerator 3.5.2

Other Extensions:
DrawSprocketLib 1.7.8, InputSprocket Extension 1.7.3, Time Synchronizer 8.3.3, Contextual Menu Extension 1.0.2, Joliet Volume Access 2.1b5,
Text Encoding Converter 1.6, Apple CD/DVD Driver 1.4.8, DVD Region Manager 1.1, CarbonLib 1.6.1, Multiprocessing

Control Panels:
Joliet Control 2.1b5,USB Overdrive 1.4,Appearance 1.1.4,Date & Time 8.3.3, Energy Saver 3.0.5,File Exchange 3.0.5, General Controls 8.0.3, Internet 1.0.3, Keyboard 8.6.2,Memory 8.1.3,Monitors 7.5.6, Numbers7.1,QuickTime Settings 6.0.2, Sound      8.5.8, Startup Disk 9.2.6,TCP/IP 2.5,Text  8.0

I will not explain the function of every control panel and extension here, you can google something if you are curious or use this as a quick start guide and take the advice on pure faith...

1) INITIAL TWEAKS

- Memory ControlPanel
From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click MEMORY
Turn Virtual Memory OFF
Be Sure RAM DISK is OFF.

- Energy Saver Control Panel
From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click ENERGY SAVER
In the SLEEP SETUP page, set “Put the system to sleep” at NEVER.
(It is also recommended that the SLEEP command not be used from the "Special" menu)

- Disable Appletalk
From the Apple Menu, click CHOOSER
Click INACTIVE in next to the Appletalk option at the bottom right corner of the window.

- Disable Font Smoothing
From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click APPEARANCE
Click the FONTS tab inside the Appearance window.
Disable the option “SMOOTH ALL FONTS”

2) VIDEO CARD INFORMATION (needed for later on)
From the Apple Menu, click "Apple System Profiler"
Select the Second Tab at the top "Devices and Volumes"
Under the PCI, Slot-1, AGP section, click the blue triangle to the left of "Display Card" to open the Video card info. write down the card Manufacturer

3) EXTENSIONS AND CONTROL PANELS
Trim your Extensions & Controls Panels to help performance and prevent possible extension conflicts; if you are a Newbie to OS 9, when in doubt, don't turn off an extension unless you are sure you don't need it, the amount of RAM saved is not worth the headache you are going to have if you inadvertently turned off something you need and don't realize it...if you want to experiment, you can use this guide first as a baseline and then pick "Duplicate Set" and try variations of your initial modified setup, that way, you can easily switch back if you make a mistake

From the Apple Menu, choose the “Control Panels” pop-up, and click EXTENSIONS MANAGER..
Click “Duplicate Set” at the bottom right corner of the Extensions Manager window. Name the duplicate set when prompted… something like "Recording Studio Mac" or your name as an Artist or Production Company

Sort First... it will make the below list much easier !
Click on the word "Package" at the top of the Package column to immediate sort the Control Panels and Extensions, this will immediately give you a bird's eye view of which packages belong together

- Control Panels to turn off

If you don't intend on using a dial-up telephone modem..
Remove the X from
     DialAssist
     Modem
     Remote Access

Also, Remove the X from
     Location Manager
     Multiple Users (assuming you are the only user, you better be, don'y let anyone use your Music Mac)
     Software Update
     USB Printer Sharing (who likes to share anyway)
     Web Sharing

- Extensions to turn off

If you don't have an Airport Wireless Card Installed...
Remove the X from
     Airport AP
     Airport AP Support
     Airport Driver

If you don't access your Mac remotely...
Remove the X from
     OpenTpt Remote Access
     OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator
     Remote Only

If you don't Voice Control your Mac...
Remove the X from
     Speech Recognition

If you use iTunes, but don't own a Nomad, SoundSpace, or Rio (I don't think you own any of these)...
Remove the X from
     Nomad II USB Driver
     Nomad MG USB Driver
     Nomad USB shim
     NomadJukeboxLib
     SoundSpace2Lib
     NomadJukeboxLib Driver
     USBRioDriver
     USBSoundSpace2 Driver

To turn off hard drive file indexing (trust me, you want it off)
Remove the X from
     FBC Indexing Scheduler

No Zip or Jaz drive ?
Remove the X from
     Iomega Drive

Some to trust me on... unless you know otherwise
Remove the X from
     Location Manager Extension
     Multi-User Startup
     Serial Tool
     Software Update Engine
     Software Update Scheduler
     Voice Verification
     VT102 Tool
     XMODEM Tool
     Web Sharing Extension
     Setup Assistant API
     Setup Assistant Launcher
     Setup Info Dispatcher
     Setup Internet Support
     Setup Modem Selector

To turn off un-needed video extensions (remember you found out your video card in Step 2
If you have an nVidia Card
Remove the X from
     All Extensions with "ATI" in them

If you have an ATI Card
Remove the X from
     All Extensions with "nVidia" in them

4) ADVANCED TRICKS & TIPS:
After an Initial Mac OS 9 Install navigate to the Extensions folder in the System Folder, select all the files (hold down Command/Apple and press 'A'), and label them with a color. This way, any third-party extensions added subsequently are easy to spot since they will appear with a different color to the original set and these colours will be visible in Extensions Manager!.

Ok, I did not have a CD, but a DVD will that make a difference ? I could not get my Powerbook G4 DLSD to recognize the installer. Tried to copy it to a USB and typed under OF -> boot ud:,\\:tbxi and nothing booted. What am I doing wrong or is this not even going to work on a PowerBook from 2006 DLSD DDR2 ?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »
a powerbook from 2006 wont run it at all.

for a list of machines post 2001 which support OS9 - natively or by hacks - check the different OS9 installers in our download section.

Offline bfcastello

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
Hi, I have a (vanilla) macOS 9.2.1 install in a QEMU virtual machine, and I have noticed that the custom Mac OS 9 Lives disk images have a newer MacOS ROM.

I am still learning about this classic macOS. So I have no clue about what are the main differences between both versions and its benefits. However, I want to stay as vanilla as possible for a more interesting experience of the past, so I'd rather not have to reinstall everything just to stay updated, if possible. I don't have THAT much time these days (work is consuming me).

Can anyone advise me on how to update the MacOS ROM? Does I have to update to 9.2.2 and does it have any benefit over the one in my 9.2.1 install?

Thanks in advance! MacOS9 is indeed a very interesting part of the Apple history.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »
you could just swap the file, but dont do this when you currently dont have another option around to boot this machine into whatever in case you need to revert that.

Offline bfcastello

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 10:41:54 PM »
you could just swap the file, but dont do this when you currently dont have another option around to boot this machine into whatever in case you need to revert that.

That's fine, it's a virtual machine. I was actually running 9.2.2 on this VM (I can't remember how or when I did update). In my tests I have noticed that there is no benefit at all for me to run this VM with a newer MacOS ROM. QEMU does not grab the mouse when I move over the VM screen when using the newer version; I had to tell QEMU to do it with a keystroke. So I reverted to my backup with the older rom (8.7) and decided to stick with it. "If it's not broken..." ya know? :P But thanks anyway!

Offline Underdog

• Newcomer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2022, 02:47:11 PM »
Hello all. Happy to be here.

Got a original Mac Mini G4 and I can't get it to boot from the CD/DVD drive. Drive functions normally if I boot from the existing HD with OSX.

Using a Windows USB keyboard.

Thanks in advance.