Author Topic: OS9 won't install from burned discs?  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Pax

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
OS9 won't install from burned discs?
« on: September 22, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »
So, I have a QS 867 and an eMac 1.25, both G4.

I burned the universal OS9 and cannot get it to boot from the cd-drive or dvd drives on either machine.

Both machines have leopard 10.5.6.

I've tried holding "c", didnt work.
Holding option, it only shows my hard drive no cd/dvd
Tried start up utility, no cd/dvd drive shows up!
Wtf

Now, I put a factory iBook disk with OS9 on it booted, I thought I installed, OS9, even erased disc...and when I restarted it went back to OS X.
Now, When it boots from cd with the factory disk with OS9, I can't eject the disk, it says in use (or something along those lines)

I will not give up! I will have an OS9 DAW damnit!!!
THANKS FOR ANY HELP, I appreciate it!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: OS9 won't install from burned discs?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
The experts here will be along shortly to help get you sorted out. I have a G4 that won't boot from the optical drive and I use an external FW drive for that one.

Are your optical drives the stock ones that came with the machine?

When I have a drive that won't eject, sometimes Toast will eject it from it's menu.

You could have had a problem with the disc that you burned too... I've had that happen.

Did you get the 'Universal OS9' from this site?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:05:02 AM »
Here's some info from when I was having my problem.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2195.0

Which 'Universal" install did you use??

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »
guys if u are gonna reference a certain os9 install disc please include a link to the thread u downloaded it from so people know which cd it is that u are using
so that we can help u easier + faster

my first question would be which brand + make of cd's did you use to burn the discs..
did u burn them on cds or dvds?
and are u using the proper usb keyboards that came with either mac.. ?

u can eject the disk by powering/bootign up whilst holding the mouse button down
this will eject the cd even without a keyboard connected to teh computer

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »
Now, I put a factory iBook disk with OS9 on it booted, I thought I installed, OS9, even erased disc...and when I restarted it went back to OS X.

It will continue to boot in into Os X untill you selet "Mac Os 9" as startup system in the Startup control panel.  :o

Now, When it boots from cd with the factory disk with OS9, I can't eject the disk, it says in use (or something along those lines)

How do you pretend to eject a CD drive while  being used as startup volume?  :o

So, I have a QS 867 and an eMac 1.25, both G4.

I burned the universal OS9 and cannot get it to boot from the cd-drive or dvd drives on either machine.
Forget about booting eMac 1.25 Into Mac Os 9 -at least by now - LOL...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »

u can eject the disk by powering/bootign up whilst holding the mouse button down
this will eject the cd even without a keyboard connected to teh computer

Nice tip!! ;D

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:48:55 PM »
It seems like both machines got incompatible aftermarket drives. I was having the same issue with my G3 B&W, which came with a Samsung CD-RW drive. Replacing it with a LG DVD-RAM drive solved it. I had to disable the ZIP drive for the machine to boot with the DVD drive, otherwise it would completely freeze upon turning it on.

Offline Pax

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, just got done with a 14 hour shift.
I tried cdr's and dvd's, Magnavox cdr's, Sony Dvd-r's.

This might help, I've been using IBM FOR 20 years!!!! So I'm new to Mac! Yeah, sure, I could read every post in the forum and get an answer or clue but I'm human! Humans have questions and instant gratification🔫

On an IBM you can burn an .iso and it works, on Mac, do you burn ISO, OMG, Dmg, toast???? I'm sure I'll  find the answer if I look!

If I type in "OS9 help" in a search engine it sends me here automatically! That's awesome! I even see comments from admins..."Join our forum.." Good stuff.

So @MrHappy, you make me happy!😀 thanks for trying to help.
@SuperNova777 thanks for trying to help, I will read more and come more prepared next time.
@Filipe thanks, I will take your experience into consideration. I truly appreciate the help!
@MacTron thanks for taking the time time to quote my paragraphs and offer what appears to be sarcasm, but I can't tell because the English is not that good. But I love sarcasm. I'm from the BRONX, we love it, we thrive on it!
If you are going to offer a forum and website to the public, then do it. You know a ton about Mac's that's great! Help others.
If you want to know about being blue-collar and busting your ass for 14-18 hr days, let me know, I'll be your best friend.
All I want to do is to record on the solid platform that I did in the early 2k's. Not too much to ask, right? I guess it is.
Thanks for trying to help trying fellas, I won't bother you anymore. I'll figure it out.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
Yo Pax... Don't get TOO frustrated... you've come to the right place if you wanna get a OS9 DAW up and running!! ;D All the software and knowledge that you need are right here at OS9Lives.

Your initial post seems a little vague/confusing... you reference 2 different Mac's that are quite different as far as OS9 is concerned...  so lets start with the quotes that MacTron outlined (BTW.. MacTron is SUPER knowledgable and trying to help... occasionally needing some english translation leeway ;D)

The first thing he's telling you is that if you DID manage to install OS9 on a machine that already has OS X that you need to 'tell' the Mac that you want it to start with this newly installed OS by 'selecting' it in the 'Startup Control Panel' (in a pull down menu... Apple Menu-Control Panels-Startup) then when you restart it will use the selected startup system.

HOWEVER... you said that you 'erased the disc' so it's not clear if you didn't actually manage to erase the disc and it's booting OS X from there OR if it's booting OS X from disc you inserted into the optical drive?

The next quote... MacTron is pointing out that if your Mac is running off the 'factory disc' that it won't be able to eject it because the Mac is currently using that disc to run!

In the 3rd quote MacTron is saying that OS 9 is NOT supported on the eMac 1.25   so don't bother trying to put in on there.

SOOO... armed with this info let's concentrate on your QS and get that sorted out!  ::)  Take a step back and start from scratch, outlining your steps, and the helpful people here WILL have you rocking' a OS 9 DAW!!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:32:15 AM by MacOS9Lives.com »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 07:54:08 AM »
@MacTron thanks for taking the time time to quote my paragraphs and offer what appears to be sarcasm, but I can't tell because the English is not that good. But I love sarcasm. I'm from the BRONX, we love it, we thrive on it!
Sorry if I was sarcastic, that wasn't my intention.
Anyway, I have started a thread for beginners, greatly expanded by DieHard, that may help You about this topic:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2765.msg17159#msg17159
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »

just a try:

what is very common is that people have caps locked on - then holding c will do nothing.
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »
pax
mactron is not a 100% native english speaker.. if u can speak spanish.. im sure he will communicate alot more clearly with you

dont try to use an ibook cd with a quicksilver.. two different machines. not advisable

forget the emac (as mactron suggested) + Focus on that quicksilver 867.
did i not link u the quicksilver restore cds??? download them and burn them to CDR's at a 4x or 8x burn speed
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/power-mac-g4-quicksilver-2002-restore-discs
use them to completely rewrite whatever hard drive u will use as your system drive

u aare gonna want the "RESTORE" disks only
http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/PM_G4_Restore_D1.toast_.zip
http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/PM_G4_Restore_D2.toast_.zip
http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/PM_G4_Restore_D3.toast_.zip
http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/PM_G4_Restore_D4.toast_.zip
http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/PM_G4_Restore_D5.toast_.zip
5 cds... it will prompt u to change the cds 1 by 1 untill the restore process is done..
then u will have a dual boot X/9 system.. running osx 10.1 or 10.2 (i forget which but its a really early old version of X)
and also 9.2.2.. at that point u can choose to upgrade the osx installation by installing panther or tiger
or u can just delete the mac os x related directories.. (ask for help if u need)

as 110 suggested check the status of the "Caps lock" button to make sure its not on and try to hold "C" again
if that doesnt work u can try to get into Open Firmware by holding cmd + option + O + F
and then once in open firmware you can issue the command to force it to boot from the cd there.
i think its "boot cd:," or something? or "cd boot" ? i forget
you can also do other thing sin open firmware like view the device tree by typing "dev /" and then "ls"
i think thats how u do it.. i forget.. :) lol