Author Topic: OS9 Booted on 867Mhz Powerbook G4 (unsupported) 12"  (Read 15532 times)

Offline TGOTR

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
OS9 Booted on 867Mhz Powerbook G4 (unsupported) 12"
« on: September 07, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »
I installed it, it is up and running, but there is no sound. Sleep mode also doesn't work (says there is some missing software).

Should I reinstall the unsupported OS9 disk. I know the speakers work since it does the bong when I boot it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:54:53 PM by Protools5LEGuy »

Offline TGOTR

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: OS9 Booted on 867Mhz Powerbook G4 (unsupported)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »
I figured out the sound issue, kind of. For some reason, the system auto switches to headphones, so I put headphones in the jack, and audio came out of the speakers....weird.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:13:18 PM »
Yeah that IS kinda weird! :o

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
Was briefly running OS 9 on a 1Ghz Alu 17 inch and there was issues with the optical drive playing a DVD or CD... Don't completely remember as I had Hard drive issue and didn't investigate any further.

Offline TGOTR

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
Mine has no issues with CDs or DVDs.

But I am tinkering with extensions to see why it defaults to headphones. If anything, I can take a phono plug and ground the pins to make a quick blanking plug.

is it possible to put a regular Airport card in the PowerBook G4 rather than the Airport Express card?

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Can you take a screenshot or just a list of the extensions loaded?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
Mine has no issues with CDs or DVDs.

But I am tinkering with extensions to see why it defaults to headphones. If anything, I can take a phono plug and ground the pins to make a quick blanking plug.

Yeah I thinking you could resort to a 'dummy' plug if you can't get it sorted out.

Offline TGOTR

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
Can you take a screenshot or just a list of the extensions loaded?

I used the OS9 Unofficial ISO, the one with the restore OS9 option. It was loaded with extensions, but I deleted the ATI ones, since this powerbook has nvidia. I haven't touched any others.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
I never needed it so im not sure whats on the disc. A list would be nice. I remember having a sound issue with my mdd and i disabled a apple extension and that solved my prob.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
So, I am assuming you have a Apple PowerBook G4 867 12" (Al), since the TI 15" directly supports OS9 and we have the original disk image in our downloads.

Did you use the Mac OS 9.2.2 Install (for unsupported G4s) from our site here ?

If so, please report, if all other ports/drivers are working besides the sound.  Thanks :)

I am sure iMic would love to know, we really have to start making a G4 model list with results or what is working and what is not on a per model basis.

UPDATE
I started adding Machine specific hardware notes here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2143.msg11047#msg11047
TO ALL MEMBERS: Please PM me with any additional notes for un-supported G4 models so I can update this section for others
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:57:07 AM by DieHard »

Offline TGOTR

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
OS X reports the Powerbook as Powerbook6,1 which is not compatible with OS 9.

everything works aside from Airport and Sleep mode.

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
is it possible to put a regular Airport card in the PowerBook G4 rather than the Airport Express card?

if it has the right type of pcmcia slot YES

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »
It is awesome that this model works in OS 9, but for a DAW the TI is a much better choice; more CPU cache and Better screen size/resolution.  if you already own one, now you have options :)

For those that are looking to buy a Powerbook for an OS 9 DAW, the best choice is still a 1 Ghz. TI 15" with the 867 coming in 2nd.

The dream machine for OS9 would be: Apple PowerBook G4 1.0 17" (Al) Specs
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.0_17.html

But we need someone to test the unsupported OS 9.2.2 setup, this may be a real possibility sice we have a G4 7455 in this baby, and the NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go may use the 4600 TI driver; Mactron may be able to guess this one out a little better :)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
It is awesome that this model works in OS 9, but for a DAW the TI is a much better choice; more CPU cache and Better screen size/resolution.  if you already own one, now you have options :)

For those that are looking to buy a Powerbook for an OS 9 DAW, the best choice is still a 1 Ghz. TI 15" with the 867 coming in 2nd.

The dream machine for OS9 would be: Apple PowerBook G4 1.0 17" (Al) Specs
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.0_17.html

But we need someone to test the unsupported OS 9.2.2 setup, this may be a real possibility sice we have a G4 7455 in this baby, and the NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go may use the 4600 TI driver; Mactron may be able to guess this one out a little better :)

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2743.msg16809#msg16809
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline TGOTR

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 02:54:44 AM »
I have been going through all my Classic Mac OS software and there are some issues. Anything by MECC just crashes the machine outright forcing a reboot. The Oregon Trail, Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago, etc.

Offline stumingg

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Powerbook G4 867MHz Al. Airport or wireless in general.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 03:49:24 AM »
Hi

I searched the threads here and noted a few references to wifi not working on the unsupported machine above. I thought about joining a thread but decided to start an new one. Hope that's OK!

I have the above machine booting into OS 9 using the Mac OS 9.2.2 image downloaded from this site. I have a couple of questions about getting wifi to work with this model:

1. I'm unsure which airport card I have in my PB G4 and not that good around OS 9 yet. How can I check which one I have?
2. Given that I've probably got a card that word with OS X but doesn't with OS 9, what airport card do I need that works with my machine and OS 9?
3. Once 1 and 2 above have been resolved is it just a matter of running the airport software included on the disk image to configure the card?

I'm aware that there is only WEP security (I think) with OS 9, but I'm OK with this as I have a second wireless network that I'm locking down as best I can and only allowing legacy devices to connect, such as my Newton and G4 iMac.

Thanks for any help given!

Stuart

Offline stumingg

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Powerbook G4 867MHz Al. Airport or wireless in general.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 04:21:19 AM »

1. I took the card out. It says Airport Extreme. No good I'm guessing.
2. Guess I need a classic Airport card. I may have one for my Newton ...
3. Am I right about point 3?

Thanks

Stuart

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 05:51:41 AM »
if you have the chip type airport you are out of luck. there are pcmcia cards that work with os9 i dont know if you have that port.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »
I searched the threads here and noted a few references to wifi not working on the unsupported machine above.

This is interesting Stuart… It appears (as far as I can tell from what info you've provided) that you have the G4 867Mhz "Titanium" Powerbook there. What's interesting about that is, that machine is not unsupported. It originally shipped with OS 9.2.2 and 10.1 - 10.3. Which 9.2.2 image did you use? (Not that it matters so much, but I'm curious to know if you booted the special "unsupported" image and it worked)

Second, assuming the machine identity is correct, then it originally had the wi-fi slot open and Airport was optional (extra $$). That would be original Airport 802.11b - not Extreme. So now, this is also interesting. You have an Extreme card that doesn't seem to work in OS9 but does in OSX. If so, then you're just lacking a proper Airport extension in OS9. The Airport software from OS9 may not be able to configure an Extreme card, or maybe it will - who knows? All you can do is try. If you can't make it work for lack of software, we've got another hack to think about…

Any Airport experts lurking around here?

AND…is your machine a Powerbook3,5   A1025  or something else?

Offline ppcluddite

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 11:57:57 PM »
This is interesting Stuart… It appears (as far as I can tell from what info you've provided) that you have the G4 867Mhz "Titanium" Powerbook there.

Any Airport experts lurking around here?

AND…is your machine a Powerbook3,5   A1025  or something else?

Apple made one aluminum Powerbook at 867 MHz, the 12 inch.  From everymac.com:

"Apple PowerBook G4 867 12" (Al) Specs
Identifiers: 12-Inch - M8760LL/A - PowerBook6,1 - A1010"

Also according to everymac.com, there is no pcmcia slot on this model.