Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > Hacking the System, Mac OS 9.3, and Beyond !

OS 9 with 2GB of Ram.

<< < (2/9) > >>

MacTron:
Yes, it is as usual.
I always ask myself, what's doing the system with this 512Mb that "eat" by itself. ie: is it addressed as ROM? or mapped to other things ...
Maybe some day we'll find the way to make this 512Mb useful somehow...

darthnVader:
The highest priority to OS 9 FOREVER, would be to fix the fact that OS 9 can't address virtual memory beyond to 2 GB limit.

We can put the virtual Memory on a SSD controller on a 64bit PCI card. That would give us a throughtput of 266Mb/s with some CPU overhead. It wouldn't be that hard to design a 64bit PCI SSD controller.

Even given OS 9's partition limit of 128Gb, that's a lot of virtual memory.

Likely this would have to be addressed in the NanoKernel.

CPU's are good enough, tho one day we may want to look at what NXP chips are pin compatible with 74xx, I don't think we'd ever get 64bit mode working in OS 9, unless there is a source code leak. :P

We could offload most things to the GPU if we had drivers, and that really comes down to porting a modern C compiler to OS 9.

But, one thing at a time, lets get virtual memory fixed. ;D

IIO:

--- Quote from: darthnVader on April 29, 2018, 05:41:20 AM ---Even given OS 9's partition limit of 128Gb, that's a lot of virtual memory.

--- End quote ---

hm, i use some 30+ partitions with OS9 which are bigger than that.

from the standpoint of inside an audio guy´s filter bubble (pun intended) i wonder who would neeed so much virtual memory.

for video and audio work using virtual memory to "preload" streams is technically an option which is worse than a proper, intelligent disk streaming such as DAWs, after effects, quicktime, or sampler plug-ins are coming with.

i remember that i once tried to use it with photoshop and somehow it did not make the workflow faster than controlling the number of documents open at the same time manually.

what application will benefit from unlimited virtual memory?

Daniel:

--- Quote from: IIO on April 29, 2018, 06:40:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: darthnVader on April 29, 2018, 05:41:20 AM ---Even given OS 9's partition limit of 128Gb, that's a lot of virtual memory.

--- End quote ---

hm, i use some 30+ partitions with OS9 which are bigger than that.

from the standpoint of inside an audio guy´s filter bubble (pun intended) i wonder who would neeed so much virtual memory.

for video and audio work using virtual memory to "preload" streams is technically an option which is worse than a proper, intelligent disk streaming such as DAWs, after effects, quicktime, or sampler plug-ins are coming with.

i remember that i once tried to use it with photoshop and somehow it did not make the workflow faster than controlling the number of documents open at the same time manually.

what application will benefit from unlimited virtual memory?

--- End quote ---
None. Mac OS 9 does not have the capabilities to do that on a pretty fundamental level. Even if you create a process in its own address space and fill it entirely with virtual memory (which, while not impossible, is very very hard and would require a ton of code changes all over the place), you only get 4GB to play with. That is a limit of the processor itself. You could work out some sort of API to do this (where you call a function to access an enourmous pretend memory space), but you would probably be better off just having the API just use normal file access routines.

I suppose that if we ever got protected memory working, we could give each individual process 4GB of memory. We would still not be able to give a process more than 4GB.

IIO:

--- Quote from: Daniel on April 29, 2018, 06:55:04 AM ---
None. Mac OS 9 does not have the capabilities to do that on a pretty fundamental level. Even if you create a process in its own address space and fill it entirely with virtual memory (which, while not impossible, is very very hard and would require a ton of code changes all over the place), you only get 4GB to play with.

--- End quote ---

okay, but they still have the valid argument on their side that 1,5 + 4,0 is still a bit more than only 1,5. :)

so besidee the fact that it probably will never work, i still wonder what applications can make good use of VM.

(yeah, i know, you can open two 300 mb files on a machine with only 512 physical memory, but else?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version