Author Topic: add usb ports=nothing work  (Read 8317 times)

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
add usb ports=nothing work
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:38:20 AM »
Its a malediction...no usb pci cards works in my mdd.tried one with ali chip,and another with nec chip,but freeze and malfunctions coming up rapidly.is there any firewire to usb adapters that works on os9 or osx?
Its an mdd problems with those pci/usb cards or others g4 haven't problems with them?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: add usb ports=nothing work
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:10:17 AM »
Cheap PC cards usually don't fit well on Mac PCI slots and cause freeze and other malfunctions. You should try to install and uninstall those PCI cards until you find a working position. Usually work well a few milesimas before the full insertion.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:31:05 AM »
Also FireWire to usb must be partial inserted to work properly? ;D -afro-

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
sigh

- do not even try firewire to usb
- your problem may be the physical insertion of the card (as mactron is saying) look very carefully at the contacts of the pci card to make sure that its making full contact nto the proper positioning of the card
-you have ZERO need for a PCI usb card on mac os 9 >>> JUST USE A usb 1.1 powered hub <<<
you can get one of these anywhere for very little money - save your slot for something else as  usb2.0 does not work in mac os 9.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/powered-usb-hub

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »
sigh

- do not even try firewire to usb

firewire to usb ???
Did you mean to connect USB devices through FireWire  using a "Firewire to USB" adapter?

Such a thing exist?
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 08:40:48 AM »
ive never heard of such devices but apparently he has... either way... waste of time

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
i find this adapter

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B008SA2D8Q/ref=asc_df_B008SA2D8Q28352864/?tag=googshopit-21&creative=23402&creativeASIN=B008SA2D8Q&linkCode=df0#Ask

can it work on os9?

we already told u NO... dont waste your time even looking at that.
it looks more like a practical joke to me LOL

what do u need usb for?? you do understand if u just buy a hub + plug it in you can have as many ports as u need.. u dont need any adapters... the MDD has USB already.. and mac os 9 does not support usb 2.0

if u need usb 2.0 for mac os X then buy a working NEC usb pci card.. the one you tried may be damaged.

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
I am not joking or other...i am just learning to computing with ppc and os9.I have buyed a nec card because i need other usb for osx.
Maybe my english is not perfect and i am sorry for that.

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »
if its an NEC chip PCI card with usb ports - it should work in both Mac os 9 + X.
i have one that works perfectly.. as do others.

mactron suggested u try to reseat the card , take it out + put it back in and press down FIRMLY to ensure its pressed DOWN all the way..

if the card you bought doesnt work, i suggest u return it to whomever u purchased it from.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
If you need to run a pci card for os9 dont forget to grab the latest available drivers. The ones installed from cd are outdated especially the firewire driver. When it comes to cards look for a sonnet but keep in mind os9 doesnt support the 2.0 protocol.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
are you eventually trying to use an USB 2 card? the hance is not very high that it will work in OS9 (as USB 1.1), i only know about ONE single card which supports this feature by providing custom drivers.
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:27:59 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline baraktorvan

• new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
I added a PCI USB 3 card to my Quicksilver, and OS 9 complains it uses too much power and will shut it off.

But the MDD running OS 9 did not complain about it.

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »
its way better to use a powered usb hub to avoid exactly those types of issues if u just need more ports...
usb 2.0 is not functional under os 9.. and if u are wanting usb2.0 for osx.. well.. u are on the wrong site;0

Offline ettore

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
Added an hub for keyboard and mouse,now i have one usb for pendrive/usb hdisk or other things.trashed the pci cards.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
besides no OS9 support/compatibilty issues (1.1 compatibilty is impossible), why are you adding USB 3 cards too such an old computer if i may ask? usb3 is about 8 times faster than a 64 bit PCI bus.

about the power problem: is that with some device connected already or without? (it can happen with compatible and working USB cards, too, that devices wont run useb-powered.)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline baraktorvan

• new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
I just had a mouse fob in the USB 3 port. That is when it complained about using too much power. Odd because the fob is just a fob--the power is in the mouse in the form of 2 AA batteries.

It is okay though. Once I get the HDD issues figured out, I will install OS X and OS 9 on the drive and just use the USB 3 card with OS X.

I had caught a 2 for 1 sale at a local computer shop, so I took advantage of it. Got both cards--one in the 08 Mac Pro and thought it would be cool to expand the QS  USB capability without dragging out my USB 2 powered hub. But I know I am asking too much of OS9 to run it. Still, I had hope, and that is something!

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »
i wouldnt even try to put a usb3.0 card in a g4 - no way in hell. u are crazy