Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Mac CPU Upgrades

powermac g4 CPU Upgrades

<< < (11/12) > >>

GaryN:
You're right - you didn't. That was Blazeoptimus. I don't know how it was attributed to you…

GaryN:
AND WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-Sonnet-Encore-Duet-MDX-Dual-G4-CPU-upgrade-1-6ghz-MMD-and-XServe-/161711331572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a6bf18f4

The $249 price reflects the rarity and the CPU is the earlier, slower 1.6GHz but there it is.
The seller is also showing a tiny fan on the heatsink that might fit on an Xserve but is unnecessary on an MDD.

Blazeoptimus:

--- Quote from: GaryN on June 01, 2015, 10:28:04 PM ---You're right - you didn't. That was Blazeoptimus. I don't know how it was attributed to you…

--- End quote ---

I think you quoted my quote maybe?  I figured the fan was probably pretty close, but in any case most of the mods for cooling listed on this site (or for CPUs in general) implement active cooling right on the cooler.  If you stuck a fan on the back of the cooler that pulled air through it, I feel certain that it heat dissipation would be better. Eh, it's just a thought. I tend to lean toward the 7447 has having a greater impact on heat generation.

Protools5LEGuy:

--- Quote from: Protools5LEGuy on January 30, 2014, 12:05:49 PM ---At that price, better to be stock and buy another MDD.
There is a thin line between cheaps PowerMacs and $$$$ Apple collectors CPU upgrades.
I will not cross that $$$$ line for sure. If you can make music with a G3 233-450 why spend 500-800 bucks on a 866 to 1.x upgrade?

--- End quote ---

Just bought a 1.8 dual Sawtooth/GE with 1.75 Gigs of Ram mainly for its CPU.  My 4th G4 Dual.

mrhappy:
Nice!! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version