Author Topic: OS 9.2.2 installing, problem with mouse  (Read 6745 times)

Offline simonix

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
OS 9.2.2 installing, problem with mouse
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
Hi! Just got myself a PowerMac G4 466mhz ("digital audio"?) and wanted to install os 9.2.2 on it. Downloaded this image http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0 and burned onto a cd. It can boot nicely from cd, and mouse works fine until the readme/help-text-page opens and I should get into formatting hard drive. At this point, mouse just vanishes into the bottom of the screen. It takes left and right click brings up menu, but I can't get it up from the bottom of the screen. This makes installing very hard, because I'm also unable to navigate installing process with keyboard. Fun thing is, that mouse works just fine when selecting boot device, and it works fine just before the partitioning software opens.

Any help?   :(

supernova777

Re: OS 9.2.2 installing, problem with mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »
which mouse and keyboard are u using with the g4 "digital audio" 466?

while the model u have is the lowest digital audio model..
u could very easily buy a higher level cpu and swap it in to upgrade the machine
if u could find a 733Mhz cpu i believe it would work, and possibly the dual 533mhz aswell.

try plugging the mouse into a different usb port? or using a different mouse?

Offline simonix

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:51:56 PM »
Tried using MX518 and basic-logitech-mouse and both usb's back of computer and on the screen. Same problem. I've got one 733mhz G4 without gpu and psu, so have to try switching CPU's/motherboard when I next time visit my parents.

Offline warship

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
Your problem is caused by USB Overdrive, which is a program that is supposed to make scrolling and right click work. But it seems like it doesn't work right in some cases, and renders the mouse useless. So far I haven't found a way to disable it, so I think I have to get a new disc and find a different OS 9 install image.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »
in case that is true i would rather exchange the mouse.

the mouse drivers from logitech, microsoft or apple arenĀ“t half as good as usb overdrive, even if you can live with 2 buttons only and are satisfied with the wheel speed.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
Your problem is caused by USB Overdrive, which is a program that is supposed to make scrolling and right click work. But it seems like it doesn't work right in some cases, and renders the mouse useless....
I have tried over 50 different mice and trackballs and have NEVER seen USB overdrive render a mouse useless... so please post exact mouse/trackball that does not work

So far I haven't found a way to disable it, so I think I have to get a new disc and find a different OS 9 install image.
If you are talking about USB overdrive simply delete or uncheck the extensions

Lasty, it would be wise to run the diagnostics for that machine, maybe it is freezing, which will also render the mouse useless... Do you have a working mouse when booted to the diag CD ?   If not, you have bigger issues

Offline warship

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
I ended up holding shift while booting to disable extensions. I'm using a G3 iMac, but the same problem happened on my G4 Cube. One mouse went to the right side of the screen, another one went to the bottom and all I could do was move it left and right. Very strange.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
To avoid this problem, never choose "system" in the speed settings menu.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.